One day...

cclpurle

Hi Everyone

I'm hoping to take on my own self-build.... one day! For now, I'm just trying to get ahead and see what I can learn and what it would be like. It seems like a lot of people here have found it very worthwhile!

The thing I'd like to do is meet up with anyone who has a live site now (especially if you live more in the South) - sit down and ask them some questions and have a look at their site. I've noticed the blogs of live projects, I think I'll see if any of them would have me for a visit. But if any of you would be up for having me over please let me know. 

I'd really like to selfbuild one day, but there's definitely a lot for me to learn. I'll give all these forums a good read plus I think any meetups I manage to arrange could be really informative. Cheers guys. 

Edited by cclpurle

Welcome - and this is a great place to start.  So many on here, me included, found this site when we hit a problem - and then found out so many other ways in which we wasted time and money on doing things wrong, paying stupid money for work - often to people who are incapable of doing the job they took on and many other reasons.  

The refrain 'I wish I had found this site sooner' echoes through a lot of posts as does 'Thank goodness I found this site'.

You would be welcome to view my little 'folly' but I'm a long way from you.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I first wanted to self build when I was in my 20's. A plot came up for a reasonable price and that was when I found the hard reality that plenty of people would lend you money to build a house, but I could not find one that would lend money to buy the land. So that dream had to wait for another 25 years.

If you ever find yourself north of Inveness you are welcome to look around by build.

Hello from Central Scotland, we have just started our third self build although it’s 26 years since the first one, kit was delivered yesterday and I’m posting today’s progress under the electricity extortionate price heading, probably too far away for you but you’re welcome to visit if you happened to be in the area 

Evening all, whilst waiting for extra time I figured I would check in to see what's happening on the forum!

I see this thread is starting to digress to where members self builds are located.  I have seen this happen to a few threads whilst I have been trawling the forum on my education mission and I have some thoughts that may or may not make sense.

I recall stumbling upon a thread where talk of a map was the hot topic....it seemed to have died a quiet death.  The problem I have when threads drift like this is that the various 'offers' and locations of the various members get lost in the weeds of general chit chat.  I have found myself having to make note of members names/locations as I trawl the forum so I can make contact at a later date.

Would it be possible for the moderators to pin a thread where members whom are happy to receive visitors can post their locations AND ensure that only that info gets posted their.

All chit chat is banned/removed from that thread and then we can have a clear concise list of locations in one place for ease?

Just throwing this idea out there...

Jamie  

Another idea, could those who welcome visits add it to their signatures or "about me" sections? Would that help?

I have visited four BH members so far, from whom I have learnt a huge amount. I am immensely grateful for their generosity and hope to return it to the community when I am in a position to do so.

Edited by Dreadnaught

I think a single point of reference is definitely beneficial....signature blocks etc as a secondary means makes sense.

Surely we can make this easy for everyone....lots of willing members...lets make it easy to identify them.

54 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

I’m posting today’s progress under the electricity extortionate price heading, 

You need to start a proper blog @Christine Walker otherwise everyone will think your build is defined by extortionate prices ;)

Edited by newhome
  • Like 1

Hi everyone,

Thanks for messages and for being up to having me visit. I'll PM some of you in the next few days or so.

Yeh a 'map of sites' sounds cool, you could use google maps and pin everyone on. Could be handy! Or a list of everyone up for visits with locations, that might work.

8 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

We simple mods cower in the sidelines, fearful of ever feeling their wrath. 

Yeah cos you cowering in the corner comes across every day 9_9 

I also get the impression, from searching online and from going to a self build show, that a lot of people either manage their projects (like project manage) or just sort of 'commission' them and actually not many take up tools themselves and get building. But on here I get the impression lots of you are doing just that. Which I think it pretty awesome and I hope over time I can learn things for myself if I do ever go for a build. 

1 hour ago, cclpurle said:

I also get the impression, from searching online and from going to a self build show, that a lot of people either manage their projects (like project manage) or just sort of 'commission' them and actually not many take up tools themselves and get building. But on here I get the impression lots of you are doing just that. Which I think it pretty awesome and I hope over time I can learn things for myself if I do ever go for a build. 

There are problems that come up time and time again with people not realising that they are actually project managing their build and expecting contractors to deal with things that really should be managed.  I think the main issue is that building trades and contractors have tended to work in glorious isolation from each other.  They turn up, expect to be given some guidance/plans/instructions on what needs to be done then they crack on and do it.  The snag is that it's pretty rare to get any one trade that thinks outside their own bit of the job.  Someone has to do all the coordinating, to make sure that things go in the right place, for example, because if that's not done they will end up in the easiest place to fit. 

There are a few "turnkey" companies around, who will manage the entire build, but they tend to be expensive and not always that great in terms of detail  - you're really unlikely to get a house that's much better than one made by a major developer, with a couple of notable exceptions.

16 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

They turn up, expect to be given some guidance/plans/instructions on what needs to be done then they crack on and do it

Or completely ignore it and get the hump when it is pointed out that they have not done as instructed.

When I used to fit health clubs out and had to get builders in to do work, I often got the impression as they were looking at the job to prepare a quote, they were already looking at ways they could cut corners.