Where to buy chunky timber for stair treads

divorcingjack

I need to source some chunks of douglas fir, elm or spalted beech for our stair treads. We got lucky in our last house and got some beautiful elm, but the guy just had them lying about the yard and we got them for cheap. Now I'm looking at actually buying them (as opposed to swapping for cakes and pies), they are pretty expensive. 

Anyone got a good source? Will also need narrow board cladding (scandinavian larch?) for both internally and externally. We're planning on this kind of thing: 

image.png.40522d6da7eaf0579c4fe200592b35c9.png

Not sure how you are going to use your stairs i.e shoes on or off? We are thinking of using a veneer on some solid cheaper timber as there will only be two of us using the upstairs and defo no outdoor shoes on the stairs. We are also going to buy cheap fire doors and have them veneered and it is working out a lot cheaper than buying a large say walnut door from say a company like Deuren doors. You get to pick your own veneer and can have subsequent cills etc made to match which we need as we have some large window bottoms to do.

• 3 weeks later...

@Pete

On 12/07/2018 at 14:00, Pete said:

Not sure how you are going to use your stairs i.e shoes on or off? We are thinking of using a veneer on some solid cheaper timber as there will only be two of us using the upstairs and defo no outdoor shoes on the stairs. We are also going to buy cheap fire doors and have them veneered and it is working out a lot cheaper than buying a large say walnut door from say a company like Deuren doors. You get to pick your own veneer and can have subsequent cills etc made to match which we need as we have some large window bottoms to do.

Have you found anyone to veneer your doors? I'm intrigued as to what this will look like, as Deuren are working out really expensive.

Sorry for late reply, been busy. I am using a guy called Ken Armstrong, (Hillside Veneers, Google). Really nice guy with small overheads and the price is amazing compared to Deuren doors.

• Like 1

On 30/07/2018 at 13:13, laurenco said:

@Pete

Have you found anyone to veneer your doors? I'm intrigued as to what this will look like, as Deuren are working out really expensive.

Deuren (and hillside) get their veneers from Nantwich Veneers (http://www.nantwichveneers.com)

We have Deuren doors throughout and if you can stretch to them I'd totally recommend them. The quality is superb and the fit/adjustment is amazing. Everyone, and I mean everyone, that saw them was gobsmacked. 

I was going to say pop over, but I've a feeling you already have! :) 

I do not mean to knock Deuren doors as they are a lovely product but the guy I am going to use gets his veneers from Nantwich veneers and applies this to a fire door blank which costs about £200 a door which is considerably less than Deuren product. If you can afford Deuren then go for it but with us we are saving approx £2000 on our internal doors using my contact.

16 hours ago, worldwidewebs said:

Deuren (and hillside) get their veneers from Nantwich Veneers (http://www.nantwichveneers.com)

We have Deuren doors throughout and if you can stretch to them I'd totally recommend them. The quality is superb and the fit/adjustment is amazing. Everyone, and I mean everyone, that saw them was gobsmacked. 

I was going to say pop over, but I've a feeling you already have! :) 

? We have, we're still talking about your doors! We've had quotes from Deuren and Em-B who do a similar spec door by Italian firm, Barausse. Both beyond mega. Will see..

2 hours ago, Pete said:

I do not mean to knock Deuren doors as they are a lovely product but the guy I am going to use gets his veneers from Nantwich veneers and applies this to a fire door blank which costs about £200 a door which is considerably less than Deuren product. If you can afford Deuren then go for it but with us we are saving approx £2000 on our internal doors using my contact.

Wow, that a big saving. Thanks for this... will look into it

9 hours ago, Pete said:

There's a lot more to it than just veneering a door! The quality of the hinges and latches for a start - and that's before you get onto the frame itself. I totally get that not everyone wants to spend £7-800 per door-set, but to think it's "just a door blank" is really missing what they're selling.

Take a look here to get an idea of what we fitted:

https://selfbuildnoviceblog.wordpress.com/2017/09/27/internal-doors

I know you get a lot more than just a door if you buy  a door set but if you only need a door then just buying a blank and having it veneered is a lower cost option. To be fair the guy I used can supply a veneered frame as well and if you are handy just fit door hinges as normal. Your door looks fantastic and I have watched a Youtube video of an installation and it is a quality product. Nice things cost a lot of money and these are definitely nice things.