New knotweed study

Tennentslager

I came across this a while ago, as we had (I think I'm now on top of it) a major infestation of horsetail (equisetum) which is as stubborn to get rid of as Japanese Knotweed (the roots go down several metres and it regenerates from tiny bits of root): http://www.nodiggardener.co.uk/2017/08/speedy-elimination-of-japanese-knotweed.html?showComment=1504246334285

I've been following his advice, although my experience is that nearly a year on I am still getting the odd growth pushing up through a double layer of weed membrane a bark, and needs another going over with glyphosate.  I also found that using the normal dilution of Gallup 360 wasn't effective, and have been using a very much stronger dilution that seems to work OK.

14 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I came across this a while ago, as we had (I think I'm now on top of it) a major infestation of horsetail (equisetum) which is as stubborn to get rid of as Japanese Knotweed (the roots go down several metres and it regenerates from tiny bits of root): http://www.nodiggardener.co.uk/2017/08/speedy-elimination-of-japanese-knotweed.html?showComment=1504246334285

I've been following his advice, although my experience is that nearly a year on I am still getting the odd growth pushing up through a double layer of weed membrane a bark, and needs another going over with glyphosate.  I also found that using the normal dilution of Gallup 360 wasn't effective, and have been using a very much stronger dilution that seems to work OK.

We have horsetail here which is a sod to get rid of. I have tried all the usual glyphosate based weedkillers without much success, but by accident found Bayer Lawn Weedkiller wipes it out quickly. We had weeds in our lawn, including horsetail, and it killed the horsetail very effectively.

http://www.bayergarden.co.uk/Products/l/Lawn-Weedkiller---ready-to-use-3

Edited by PeterStarck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We got rid of knotweed from a property a couple of years ago. We had to be meticulous to ensure we did not transfer it from the initial site to elsewhere  in the garden. But by a process of injecting neat Rosate (bought of Ebay) into the main roots and actually getting down on our hands and knees to chase out the roots and carefully prize it out we managed to completely remove it. We used to burn all the roots in a very hot bonfire by adding it to the glowing embers.

7 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Cucumber is edible, as are strawberries, but they taste awful.

I love them both.

What I did not like was the freebie sample can of new Lemon Lime & Cucumber Sprite I got given the other day on London Bridge. It is f***ing foul!