Painting A Ceiling

Onoff

Never painted a ceiling properly before I'm sure!

Following on then from my plastering moisture resistant plasterboard thread. 

Using Dulux Diamond White and planning two coats. Do I go around the edge first with a paintbrush to "cut in" I think they call it?

Any pointers appreciated!

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Using Dulux Diamond White

Que? You’re painting your ceiling with cider ;)

Use Diamond Matt and it will compensate for many evils. I don’t even think I could make a ceiling look bad with Diamond Matt! 

• Like 2

Tbh @lizzie I would never even have thought of a hat! Means borrowing SWMBO's sewing machine of course! And then there's a style to choose, material to cut etc! ;)

It'll be a bit of rag over my head if anything. All my hats are black and it'll ruin them.

@PeterW, I hear what you're saying about just get the Diamond on but I've rubbed down to the plaster in places. Also put on some EasiFill in two bigger areas. Can't help thinking another coat of Leytex would seal the what are surely still "new" plaster areas showing through from sanding and over the EasiFill areas which are currently "unprimed"? Some pics might help:

The worst area was above the door where you come in. Not de-dusted or wiped in this photo. It feels better than it looks! Tbh it'd take a bit more sanding where I've over done the EasiFill

20180711_051526

Then above the half wall for which SWMBO IS currently perusing colour charts. 

20180711_051537

Do I low tack masking tape along the top of the wall where it meets the ceiling? Also will the tape take off the Leytex?

So paint it black if you are worried about your hats... but that only shows the mistake in not painting it all one colour to hide the join. Or do it polish style with the join 50mm down the wall.

There’s something to be said for a flexible ceiling paint .. Wickes do one ... and also for easiclean bathroom paint.

Insist on the right rAnge and you can restrict the boss’s choice of shades.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Haha 1

Paint the white and come down the wall angle by 10-20mm When SWMBO has chosen the colour (is she as indecisive as you..?) then just cut the colour into the ceiling. That way you don’t get rough lines. 

18 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Paint the white and come down the wall angle by 10-20mm When SWMBO has chosen the colour (is she as indecisive as you..?) then just cut the colour into the ceiling. That way you don’t get rough lines. 

I like to think she took a while to choose me but got the perfect result! :)

When rollering, using a 9" roller, then the roller diameter is obviously greater than 20mm, probably about 60mm. I'm thinking how do you stop paint on the END of the roller transferring to the wall? Or is it that you aim to not roller that near to the wall? 

• Haha 1

You can run the roller parallel to the wall - 10mm gap if you’re good..! Paint all round first but make sure it’s wet on wet so no faffing when it comes to the roller ..! I use a 4” brush for cutting in. 

41 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You can run the roller parallel to the wall - 10mm gap if you’re good..! Paint all round first but make sure it’s wet on wet so no faffing when it comes to the roller ..! I use a 4” brush for cutting in. 

Just ordered a 2" one from Screweys...before I read this! :( It'll do.

WTF? 

Just finishing the second two mist coats and it looks lovely. SWMBO wanders in...

S: "Looks great, is that the top coat?"

Onoff: "No"

S: "Top coat next?"

Onoff: "Yes"

Wait for it...

S: "I don't mind matt on the ceiling!"

???

Then!

S: "But I want gloss on the wall!"

Onoff: "You can't have gloss on the wall it'll look crap, get proper bathroom paint!"

S: "That's what I meant"

???

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Wait for it...

S: "I don't mind matt on the ceiling!"

The lengths you went to in order to conceal the matt were a waste of effort then ;)

The only thing to be afraid of now is the bathroom colour choice I guess :)

Just another day in Bidonville ;). See, those of down the hill had you guys right all along :D

10 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Top job old boy?

Tiling tomorrow please

2 coats Leyland Super Leytex 20% water

Gyproc EasiFill 20 as required

Rubbed down

2 coats Leyland Super Leytex neat

3 coats Dulux Diamond Matt

Mulling tanking & tiling at the mo. When the Welsh Wizard has spoken I'll know where I'm going! :)