Procrastination: I have found a valid reason for it at last.....

Sometimes it's essential.

Especially when you are working on your own. I'm just too tired to do what I need to within the time ' ... allowed ...'

Do we set ourselves unrealistic  ' ... targets ... ' as self-builders ?

Just imagine if we were entirely realistic and accurate in target setting : there'd be no need for procrastination

I am a huge procrastinator - every since school, uni, work and the house build.

However I always manage to pull it out of the bag when required and with decent quality and a while ago I realised that there is a lot of latent thinking going on during the faffing time that makes the active time more productive and successful.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

However I always manage to pull it out of the bag when required and with decent quality and a while ago I realised that there is a lot of latent thinking going on during the faffing time that makes the active time more productive and successful.

That's my theory as well. Not sure how accurate it is for me in practice... :S

38 minutes ago, jack said:

That's my theory as well. Not sure how accurate it is for me in practice... :S

I've often wondered if I somehow managed to work at my peak output all the time if I'd actually be more successful?

Maybe, but I doubt I'd be any happier.

image.png.1c816db484cf87d1f8bf0653a01398fb.png

Edited by Bitpipe
  • Haha 1

Working for yourself, procrastination isn't.

Procrastination becomes a problem only  when others are involved in (in this context) our builds. And since we cannot avoid that, then, perhaps,  procrastination needs to be renamed :  scheduling or rescheduling.

Being daily, and boringly predictably dog-tired,  working on my own, I am eying the safety aspect of procrastination.

Maybe procrastination has a good side to it.

As you say as self-builders we do procrastinate but that is because WE all have the fear of doing it wrong or not choosing/buying the most appropriate part (Sunamp/combi e.g) for our build. We just look at it that we are in the great position of being able to build our own house and try and enjoy every moment even if that involves more procrastination!1

As an aside Ian, it could be worse and you are living in a caravan as some have done on here and do not have a choice in that matter.If I was in that position I would do less proc__________ and be doing my damndest to move in asap but seen as we both live in a comfortable house adjacent to the build then take as long as you want.

In project terms it’s only slippage (don’t fall off the roof mind ;)) against an arbitrary deadline. Treat procrastination as a task when you set your deadline, add a healthy amount, then double it, and you might be close to the date you complete your phase. No one ever complained or felt guilty about completing a task ahead of plan, but we always feel bad (or are made to feel bad) for missing a planned milestone. 

22 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

We both have a wife. Taking as long as I wanted was a luxury which ended on the day I stopped being a bachelor.

Ian, be firm with her and she will understand?. Play the health card if she unsure. I think procras______ is best done with a lovely view and you have that in abundance, especially looking towards Cumbria!!

3 minutes ago, Pete said:

[...]

best done with a lovely view and you have that in abundance, especially looking towards Cumbria!!

From the roof ridge I can see Black Coombe , Walney Island, the South Lakes , Clougha, Ward Stone, and the edges of the Howgills.

From the ground, the nearest hedge.

I am a dreadful procrastinator in some areas of my project but I put this down mostly to my lack of knowledge in these areas. I have so much stuff to do in so many areas of my life that it’s impossible to spend the needed time on any one big project. For instance the cottage needs a heating and hot water plan, I need to re visit Jeremy’s spread sheet and get my shit together as it’s imperative that I have a solid plan in place SOON..... this is my biggest  procrastinator....  I have always hated taking one step forwards and then one back because of rushing into the unknown, I just don’t have that sort of time to waste. Procrastination for me is ok as long as it’s done in my down time, during working hours I am always ruthlessly productive and results driven. Admittedly because of my huge work load I have to triage  my daily, weekly and monthly “to do lists” and this has led to my cottage compleation date slipping further and further away.... this is somewhat depressing as I really really need to get this done as it’s now looking like this is a key point to my future financial security...... 

• Haha 1

On 10/07/2018 at 20:41, Cpd said:

I am a dreadful procrastinator in some areas of my project but I put this down mostly to my lack of knowledge in these areas. [...]

Bang on. 

That's why procrastination is actually useful , and sometimes very useful. I mean, we aren't talking undergraduate essay procrastination, we're talking about stuff that matters: hits us in the bank balance when we get it wrong. And thats why I agree so strongly with your last sentence

On 10/07/2018 at 20:41, Cpd said:

[...]

this is somewhat depressing as I really really need to get this done as it’s now looking like this is a key point to my future financial security......