Selling a house with an ASHP

I am considering having an ASHP fitted but at some point will want to sell this house. Have people found that having an ASHP has been attractive to buyers, put people off, or they haven't been generally bothered either way? I'm on all electric here so was wondering whether it might be a selling point or the reverse. 

Definitely a selling point.  The valuer we had around at our old house yesterday noted the condensing boiler and reasonable DG windows, wasn't the slightest bit interested in the EPC certificate showing it's a band C, but was extremely interested in the energy bills that I'd collated showing that we paid around £800 a year for heating and hot water.  He advised that purchasers rarely looked at EPCs, but did often ask what the running costs were (Council Tax, water charges, energy bills etc). 

Fitting an ASHP should make a big dent in your energy bill if you're all-electric, and that would almost certainly be attractive to any buyer, based on what I was told yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By "all electric" I assume you mean E7 or E10 and an electric boiler? 

Even if running entirely at off peak rates, "electric boilers" are not liked by buyers, they fear ££££££ heating bills.

But in general buyers are disinterested in "green" things. When trying to sell our old house, not one viewer was remotely interested in the solar PV paying out at the original high rate with another 22 years left to run on the FIT contract.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Even if running entirely at off peak rates, "electric boilers" are not liked by buyers, they fear ££££££ heating bills.

Which fortifies the original question about the ASHP. 1kW in and 2kW out is half price heat, and anything above that is a bonus so, given you can show the reduction in bills, its deffo a good marketing initiative. That coupled with a working ( lol ) ST system makes it attractive. 

If I saw a big ( and it is big ) house with a 3-phase electric boiler id pop out a snickers bar. 

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

By "all electric" I assume you mean E7 or E10 and an electric boiler? 

Economy 2000, but yes similar, and a non working (but hope to get working) ST system. Just not sure about the ASHP investment given that I don’t intend to stay here forever. 

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Is the whole area you live in without gas?

That makes a difference to peoples attitudes as they may well be used to all electric.

In the village and surrounding area yes. There is gas 5 or so miles away. Most people here seem to use oil or LPG rather than electric though.

I have used circa 6280 kw last year on heating only (not DHW) worked out very roughly based on the daily average in the quarter where I never use heating and concluding that anything over and above that in the other quarters is for heating. That equates to £571 excluding standing charge as I have to pay that anyway. However, that was with the heating only running in a single (albeit large) room, and it not working optimally. What the heating costs will be this winter now that I can actually heat more of the house I have no idea but in theory it could be more hence I’m considering an ASHP but need to weigh up the cost vs the ROI. I think it might be scarily expensive if someone tried to heat the whole house and whilst I’m not looking to do that I imagine an ASHP might help bring that down. Not sure I want to pay for others to have cheaper heating bills in the future though ;)

The question in your case is probably not the ROI, but the valued added to the house.  If a heat pump installation cost, say £6k, then you might get some of that back through reduced electricity bills (your £571 would reduce to less than £200, as an example) but what would it add to the value of the house, either in terms of real value or desirability?

Hard one to answer, but I'd say that anyone looking at the house and seeing heating bills that were around 1/3rd of those from your present system may well be inclined to think more favourably about it.  Would they pay, say, £3k or £4k more for it, though?  Hard one to answer, really, some might, some might not.  It really comes down to whether that sort of cost is significant relative to the value of the house.

As an example that's not really related, but illustrates some of the issues about house price and desirability, our old house was bought in a hurry (forced move by my employer - 5 days to find a house, the usual panic) and we regretted it almost immediately.  It's on a road that's got a lot busier in recent years and has a small garden.  Around ten years ago I drew up plans to convert it from a bungalow to a house (easy, as the original foundations were laid for a house and then the builder changed his mind, so I already had expired PP for a house with the same footprint).  The plans I drew up turned an 84m² three bedroom bungalow into a 168m² 5 bedroom, three bathroom house.  The planners thought there would be no reason to refuse it - all the houses around are two or three storeys - we're the only bungalow close by.  The cost of the conversion would have been reasonable, just take off the roof, sister up the existing ceiling joists to create floor joists, build the walls up by around 1.5m and fit a new roof with attic trusses.  Could even have reused the existing tiles, as they are a common pattern and anyway there is a pile of spares stacked behind the shed from when the house was built.  I reckon £80k would have seen the job done.

Now, the big question, and the relevance to your situation, is, would this be worth it?  Would a 5 bedroom three bathroom house be worth at least £80k more than a three bedroom, one bathroom, bungalow on our site?  The answer in simple terms is no, it wouldn't.  The market wouldn't bear that sort of price for the small size of the plot and the location.  Our garden is tiny (although our drive, garage and car port allows parking for up to 8 cars), and so we would never have recovered the cost.

In your case you have to ask yourself whether you think that you'll recover perhaps another £5k on the sale price if you had heating bills that were around 1/3rd of those you have now.  Only you can assess that, as it depends a very great deal on the value of your house and what the market is like in your area.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Would a 6k heat pump do it, as you will need something chunky enough to do the whole thing not just your one room?

One key variable is how long you plan to stay there.

5 hours ago, JSHarris said:

If a heat pump installation cost, say £6k, then you might get some of that back through reduced electricity bills (your £571 would reduce to less than £200, as an example) but what would it add to the value of the house, either in terms of real value or desirability?

What if some idiots went up with an eBay special and did the job for a 1/3 of that? You know, REAL idiots. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

What if some idiots went up with an eBay special and did the job for a 1/3 of that? You know, REAL idiots. 

Yup, mine cost £850 delivered from fleabay  ?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, JSHarris said:

In your case you have to ask yourself whether you think that you'll recover perhaps another £5k on the sale price if you had heating bills that were around 1/3rd of those you have now.  Only you can assess that, as it depends a very great deal on the value of your house and what the market is like in your area.

So, it's hard to know how long I will be here for. Something between 3 and 5 years I expect, but who really knows. Life changes in an instant as I know only too well. I intend to sell up when I retire from work but having a hard time getting my head around going from a fairly decent salary to no salary overnight.Just feels surreal TBH.  

Market conditions aren't great here TBH. Prices in Scotland don't seem to be on the up and up as in other areas, and in general houses take a fair time to sell here. There is a stack of house building going on about 8 miles closer to Edinburgh. Largish detached mainstream builder estates on mains gas and nearer to civilisation. My house is the sort that would need the right buyer to come along really given its size and location. Whether all of that supports installing an ASHP I'm not sure. If I could demonstrate that the bills were fairly low then maybe simply from a selling point rather than a personal money saving feature. .

26 minutes ago, newhome said:

... but having a hard time getting my head around going from a fairly decent salary to no salary overnight.Just feels surreal TBH.  

Aren't your shoes and handbags your pension?

8 minutes ago, readiescards said:

Not even unwrapped it yet! But hopefully in next couple of weeks should be plumbed in.

Report back please! How much was the carriage? 

32 minutes ago, jack said:

Aren't your shoes and handbags your pension?

Lol, sadly I need a rather larger pension so that I can keep adding to my collection :D. Whoever says you spend less in retirement needs their head examined. More time available to spend = more spend in my view! 

16 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And sell faulty #1 meaning working #2 only cost £305. Plus a lot of wasted time.

Yes but you probably ended up with a bargain eventually despite the time wasted. That new one would be way more than 455 I’m sure. 

Edited by newhome