LG Therma V mono block Air Source Heat Pump

ProDave

On 04/06/2021 at 13:52, Ronny said:

Surely using this element to heat the buffer tank would be a step backwards...

1. I don't know how, or even if it is possible, to get the heat pump to charge up the buffer tank on demand. Every once in a blue moon there is a big short spike in my electricity usage, it happened this afternoon when nobody was at home.  I presume this is heating up the buffer tank because there wasn't any other power requirement that I can think of at the time.
  2. Running something that consumes 3 kW with 100% efficiency is a better match to the output from my solar panels than something that consumes 6 kW with 300% efficiency.  If the power demand is not too high I can cover it with free solar electricity, for higher demand I have to import from the grid.    

15 hours ago, ReedRichards said:

1. I don't know how, or even if it is possible, to get the heat pump to charge up the buffer tank on demand. Every once in a blue moon there is a big short spike in my electricity usage, it happened this afternoon when nobody was at home.  I presume this is heating up the buffer tank because there wasn't any other power requirement that I can think of at the time.
  2. Running something that consumes 3 kW with 100% efficiency is a better match to the output from my solar panels than something that consumes 6 kW with 300% efficiency.  If the power demand is not too high I can cover it with free solar electricity, for higher demand I have to import from the grid.    

I don`t know if this is relevant or not, but if i leave the heating on all the time, AI setting at -5 the heating does not come on. The circulating pump does continue to work, on for a minute or two then off for the same time.  The buffer tank is always cold, showing 25 deg flow and return. I assume this is monitoring the AI settings. I now keep the controller off as the hot water continues as normal on the timer settings and the pump does not run. The buffer tank as far as i can see is always cold. 

5 minutes ago, ReedRichards said:

@RonnyIf the outdoor temperature is near your max setting of 21 C then the leaving water temperature would be near your min setting of 34 C if AI=0.  I think that setting AI=-5 reduces the LWT by 5 so you are setting it to 29 C, or a bit higher on colder days.

I thought the AI settings were in degrees, but that really was a guess. This controller really does try my patience. There is so much that i read that confuses me even more.  I see you say THINK, so that makes me feel a bit better. Perhaps when winter comes i will know a bit more about it and be able to use the settings to control things better.

9 hours ago, ReedRichards said:

This is what I was guided by:

AI mode.jpg

/

9 hours ago, ReedRichards said:

This is what I was guided by:

AI mode.jpg

I don`t know if the following settings are the installers or if I have changed any of them, so here they are.

Low water temp for auto mode min 34 max 46 Outdoor temp for auto mode min -7 max 21 You can be sure if I changed any of the settings I had no idea what I was doing. 

19 hours ago, Ronny said:

/

I don`t know if the following settings are the installers or if I have changed any of them, so here they are.

Low water temp for auto mode min 34 max 46 Outdoor temp for auto mode min -7 max 21 You can be sure if I changed any of the settings I had no idea what I was doing. 

Your minimum outdoor temperature is much lower than mine.  As a consequence your Leaving Water Temperature will almost never (if ever) reach 46 C; only when the outside temperature is -7 C or less.  With your settings' the LWT will be 43 C  when it is 0 C outside, 40 C when it is +7 C outside and 37 C when it is 14 C outside.  Then add-in whatever number your AI is set to.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hi every body I have a problem with my control unit for my  lg hm161m. it has been installed for 2 weeks but I cannot get the hot water heater to recognise the schedule for operation.

the DHW schedule works but not the DHW heater.

tried deleting schedule and reinstating it but no different.

the heater unit it self works as I can select boost on DHW and it works. just not the schedule.

has anybody any ideas please. asked the installer and he is puzzled.

also I believe there is a function to read data on control unit, but how do you select it

thanks

By "DHW heater" I presume you are using the LG terminology and mean the immersion heater inside the hot water cylinder?  You probably want to use that as little as possible as it is much more expensive than heating your hot water via the heat pump.  There is a three option setting for this immersion heater "Use / Use Disinfect / Not use".  I have mine set to Use Disinfect so I can heat the water in the cylinder to 60 C once a week as a precaution against Legionella.  Therefore I don't try to schedule use of the immersion heater and I don't think I have access to the Boost function.

To answer a question with a question, why do you want to schedule use of your expensive immersion heater?  You've bought a heat pump, why not save money and just use that to heat your hot water?

You can read some data towards the bottom of the list of installer settings.

as it is a new system I was checking with that all functions work and in the future if I have problem with the heating then I also have this option to heat dhw via heater.

spoken to LG they think it is a setting prob, although my installer cannot find it. I am on "octopus go ev"  so I heat water  during  the night period at 5p per kw. with the ashp

Soon after my ASHP was installed it went wrong with the CH14 error (it was a blocked filter).  To my frustration, I found that in this error state I could not operate anything, including the immersion heater.  I now have a switch for my immersion heater wired in parallel to the LG control box so I can operate the immersion heater under all circumstances.  Without such parallel wiring you may well find that if something goes wrong with the heating you don't have the option to heat DHW via heater. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've got an ThermaV Monoblock installed with a Hive thermostat and I'm beginning to think the hive is a bit crap and causing problems. Set temp is 18.5°C, as soon as it hits 18.4°C lots of energy getting the system up to temperature then 18.5°C and it's off again. It's wasting a bunch of energy.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I've complained at hive for not giving any options for hysteresis so it can swing 0.5°C either side of the temperature target but they fed me some BS about the hive algorithm is the most efficient at maintaining a comfortable home temperature. I'd be willing to try just using the native LG controller but that doesn't seem to have any heating controls available. Can they be enabled again and if so how? Any suggestions for other thermostats that actually work properly?

Thanks.

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to ask a bit offtopic, The users of this heatpump, are you satisfied with it? Thinking to choose this heatpump, as its price for 7kW is less than 4k, which seems very good offer, as warranty for inverter in my country is 10 years. Though LG heatpumps don't have much presence in my country, thus not much reviews and experience of users. 

On 12/01/2022 at 09:30, immortallt said:

I wanted to ask a bit offtopic, The users of this heatpump, are you satisfied with it? Thinking to choose this heatpump, as its price for 7kW is less than 4k, which seems very good offer, as warranty for inverter in my country is 10 years. Though LG heatpumps don't have much presence in my country, thus not much reviews and experience of users. 

I have a LG 7 kw Therma v. I have had it for just over 1 year. The total kw used from 19th Dec 2020 to 19th Dec 2021 was 4058kw. We use the heating all day in winter as we are retired and like to be warm. I have had no problems with the heat pump and it has just had it`s first service. It has been set at AI +1 and this seems to keep the temperature at 21.5 deg. I occasionally have to change the setting to +2 when it is a bit warmer outside as the temperature for some reason can fall to 19.5  and not come back on. No doubt this is to do with settings which (for me) are very confusing. No problem at all with hot water set for 50 deg. Just watch the size of your hot water cylinder as i only have 150 litre due to available space. Hope this helps.

16 hours ago, Ronny said:

I have a LG 7 kw Therma v. I have had it for just over 1 year. The total kw used from 19th Dec 2020 to 19th Dec 2021 was 4058kw. We use the heating all day in winter as we are retired and like to be warm. I have had no problems with the heat pump and it has just had it`s first service. It has been set at AI +1 and this seems to keep the temperature at 21.5 deg. I occasionally have to change the setting to +2 when it is a bit warmer outside as the temperature for some reason can fall to 19.5  and not come back on. No doubt this is to do with settings which (for me) are very confusing. No problem at all with hot water set for 50 deg. Just watch the size of your hot water cylinder as i only have 150 litre due to available space. Hope this helps.

It helps. Do you use cooling?

We have 250l tank of which currently we use only half. If needed, we can turn on 12 kW pure electric heating, but even with -20C 4kW is sufficient :)

P.S. 4058 kWh thats electricity or heat produced?

On 12/01/2022 at 09:30, immortallt said:

I've had the 12 kW version for 13 months now.  I have not had any problems with it except once when I accidentally switched off the hot water and did not realise what I had done or how I had done it. 

The instructions were lacking at first but then I got hold of an installers manual.

The AI feature is "Weather Compensation".  Eventually I adjusted the parameters set by the installer and the new more ambitious ones seem to be still keeping the house warm whilst consuming less energy.  I was sad that the controller does not do Load Compensation but that feature seems to be relatively uncommon on heat pumps.        

7 hours ago, immortallt said:

It helps. Do you use cooling?

We have 250l tank of which currently we use only half. If needed, we can turn on 12 kW pure electric heating, but even with -20C 4kW is sufficient :)

P.S. 4058 kWh thats electricity or heat produced?

I do not use cooling, and it is kwh of electricity used for all heating and hot water.