The tale of the sale of our old house

Based on my experience today I think you could tell someone like the bloke who did ours anything and he'd give you the EPC you wanted.  Nothing to stop you then getting another one later.

The only snag is that an EPC is valid and held on the register for ten years, I believe, so if your as-built EPC from when the house was constructed is on the register already, that's what will be used.  I was told that they check the register to see if there's still a valid EPC lodged before doing another assessment.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

so if your as-built EPC from when the house was constructed is on the register already, that's what will be used.  I was told that they check the register to see if there's still a valid EPC lodged before doing another assessment.

I don't think I have an EPC assessment TBH, I had SAP and U Values that were passed to the council but I've never had an EPC assessment AFAIK. Anyway I just punched my house size etc into the RHI calculator and it says " Your property has a heat demand that exceeds the limits of the scheme and therefore your estimated payments shown are based on this cap" and caps it at the maximum of £1300 PA for 7 years so £9100. Seems that as soon as you say the floor area is 350m2 and the heating is all electric the space heating demand flies off the scale. So maybe the EPC doesn't matter on that basis. Might be worth considering an MSC install on those figures I guess. 

If there was an as-built SAP then there will be a lodged EPC.  If you can find out the 24 character RRN from building control, you can get a copy of the lodged EPC from here: https://www.epcregister.com/searchReport.html

For example, my RRN is 8497-7437-1430-2812-4906

You can look it up and download it as a PDF if you want a good laugh about the recommendations it makes, and work out the return on investment from them!

• Thanks 1

I am still furious at the debacle with my epc/sap. To end up with a low B after all the time effort and money that went into making the place as good as possible and then end up with the same as a new build on a development down the road....just another of the many c***k ups that took place on this build. I understand there is some form of appeal or rectification on a new build but whats the point Joe public dont care about epc ratings its only people like us that do. It is a record of our achievement on the build and the effort put in for all of us.  Makes me angry so I try not to think about it.

I honesty wouldn’t worry @lizzie as if you know that your house performs better than that then that is what counts, not some irrelevant piece of paper. Without renewables you are always going to be penalised in a score type system. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, newhome said:

I honesty wouldn’t worry @lizzie as if you know that your house performs better than that then that is what counts, not some irrelevant piece of paper. Without renewables you are always going to be penalised in a score type system. 

History now...Ive put it behind me. Sorry didnt mean to but in on the conversations.  It just jarred a nerve.  Its back in the box now, onwards we go.

• Like 1

It is certainly a very variable thing.  In Scotland you have to have a home report, so the surveyor that did that, did the EPC as well. I thought he spent a good deal of time looking at the property. He noted a couple of very minor faults, too minor to be mentioned in the report, and he asked and looked at insulation levels including looking in the loft and under the suspended floor.  I felt he did a fair and honest assesment of the property taking into account things like it was one of the first timber frame houses built with a 6" frame (to get more insulation) when many of the period were still using 4" frames.

The only thing he did that irked me, was he put down the garden as "repair code 2" implying there was something "wrong" with it that needed fixing.  His issue was the burn running through the garden and to get a "1" I would have to fence off the edge of the burn for it's entire length on both sides.  That irked me because it was the only thing not to get a 1 (meaning everything is fine)

1 hour ago, lizzie said:

History now...Ive put it behind me. Sorry didnt mean to but in on the conversations.  It just jarred a nerve.  Its back in the box now, onwards we go.

Hey, you are not butting in. The scheme has its nonsense elements from assessment through to the calculations. I dread to think what my score is like given that the RHI calculator goes off the scale lol. It says my heating demand is 26,200 kWh and I know I don’t heat all the rooms but I have MHRV that circulates the air and I used just over 6000 kWh here last year. 26,200 sounds crazy! 

Edited by newhome
  • Thanks 1

There are some inconsistencies, and a lot of BS spouted about the RHI.  I recall doing some work at a house that had just had a wood pellet boiler fitted.  The owner went to great pains to tell me that the assessor said this was the best insulated house he had ever assessed, then went on to tell me how many thousand pounds he would get in RHI payments, which seemed two conflicting statements.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

If there was an as-built SAP then there will be a lodged EPC.  If you can find out the 24 character RRN from building control, you can get a copy of the lodged EPC from here: https://www.epcregister.com/searchReport.html

For example, my RRN is 8497-7437-1430-2812-4906

You can look it up and download it as a PDF if you want a good laugh about the recommendations it makes, and work out the return on investment from them!

Can you not just search by postcode?

https://www.epcregister.com/reportSearchAddressByPostcode.html

Or will that not deliver the SAP derived EPC?

Edited by daiking
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

At my last house (a small Derbyshire Hall),  the assessed floor area was 385 sqm - they ignored several of the attics , the EPC was 17, and the assessed energy costs were £24,915 over 3 years. But they ignored all the insulation of which there was some.

Did not matter, as it was ready for someone to throw £100k+ at it and then some, as the renovation was basically 1980s, and anyone with the money to sink in would not worry about current energy bills.

This was 2014. Gas was at least half a mile away both ways.

Out structural survey was done by a National Trust Consultant chappie, who said that the NT would spend a million if they were to restore it, due to their methods.

Fun days.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

There are some inconsistencies, and a lot of BS spouted about the RHI.  I recall doing some work at a house that had just had a wood pellet boiler fitted.  The owner went to great pains to tell me that the assessor said this was the best insulated house he had ever assessed, then went on to tell me how many thousand pounds he would get in RHI payments, which seemed two conflicting statements.

How much you got paid was dictated by your heat demand from your as built sap. So if that guy had infact built a super duper well insulated house he would have got very little but if his house was cold leaky and damp he would have been well rewarded. Kind of a weird setup where you get penalised by doing your house well.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

You only need the postcode to look up an EPC on the Landmark Trust Register.

They are a load of nonsense.

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Good spot, I hadn't realised there was a post code search (although it has the wrong post code for our house).

The epc register was at one time great tool to use and it had nothing to do with energy efficiency.

When the housing market was slow, agents would try all sorts of tricks to make stale properties that had hung on the market for a time look like fresh new instructions.

before the property bee plug in came along searching out the epc for a property gave you the best idea of when the deluded sellers first tried selling and how long their fanciful idea of what a property was worth* had prevented them from selling as they typically got an epc at the time of first putting it to market.

(*Or their feckless indebtedness)

11 minutes ago, newhome said:

Nothing there for my postcode. 

No reports exist for that postcode

Mine gives the same result if I search for my postcode, it's got the wrong postcode listed for some reason, not sure why.  It turns up OK when I use the RRN number though.

11 minutes ago, newhome said:

Nothing there for my postcode. 

No reports exist for that postcode

@JSHarris needs to do a post code search to see what comes up. Whether it’s his correct post code or the wrong one on the epc he does have, doesn’t matter see if there’s a pattern.

Just now, JSHarris said:

Mine gives the same result if I search for my postcode, it's got the wrong postcode listed for some reason, not sure why.  It turns up OK when I use the RRN number though.

If you search for the wrong post code?

6 minutes ago, daiking said:

@JSHarris needs to do a post code search to see what comes up. Whether it’s his correct post code or the wrong one on the epc he does have, doesn’t matter see if there’s a pattern.

Just done a post code search using my post code and got an EPC for an old cottage up the lane that's just gone on the market.  It seems our EPC is listed under the post code for the house up the other lane behind us, not the one we're on.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, daiking said:

I tried searching for several roads in my village not using the postcode, still nada. Does it cover Scotland? 

1 minute ago, daiking said:

If I search for the wrong post code, SP3 5JS, it's listed, along with the house up another lane that our plot is adjacent too.  If I search under the correct post code, SP3 5JP, it;s not listed, all that shows in the next cottage around 100m up Mill Lane, that's just gone on the market.

Just now, JSHarris said:

If I search for the wrong post code, SP3 5JS, it's listed, along with the house up another lane that our plot is adjacent too.  If I search under the correct post code, SP3 5JP, it;s not listed, all that shows in the next cottage around 100m up Mill Lane, that's just gone on the market.

:D Cheers, so the system works but only as well as the weak link inputting the data