Comically enormous bath questions

How big (theoretically, as we definitely haven't already bought the comically massive bath) would a bath have to be before we would need to think about reinforcing an MBC spec floor to hold the weight? 

Asking for a friend, you understand... 

I bought one of these  https://www.bathstore.com/products/salisbury-slipper-bath-with-traditional-resin-feet-1690mm-2197.html 

and it’s so big I can float in it without touching sides or bottom and I am worried it will not pass regs for a new build as I have heard (somewhere) that water regs dictate how big a bath can be. I love it (but it uses a whole tank of DHW?. I did not worry about floor strength as it was designed for 600mm centres but we installed them at 400mm (I hate floor bounce!) with timber web beams.

• Thanks 1

I have the comically enormous bath and never use it because it’s too damn big. You could probably fit 4 people in it if that’s your thing ;) but for the avoidance of doubt it’s not my thing! I only ever use the bath in the other bathroom as it’s smaller. We did give our spec to the TF company and the joists were altered but whether that was driven by the bath alone or simply because the area underneath is very open plan and it was altered because of that (we changed 3 rooms downstairs into one large open plan one) I can’t say. Possibly both. In hindsight however I would not buy the comically enormous bath as it’s a white elephant. I have used it twice in 9 years and that was only for the novelty value. 

• Thanks 1

OK, I'll admit it. I have bought it. But in my defence: 

1:  it's not really for me - it's for my husband, who is very tall, loves a bath and has never had one that he can properly stretch out in for hours at a time. @newhome - we've had 2 adults and 2 small children in it for testing purposes. 

2: It was really, REALLY cheap. 

3: It is REALLY nice. 

4: We do have an alternative bath for those of us who are unable to reach the end of the comically enormous one, and would be at some risk of drowning. 

@joe90 - is that building regulation a thing? If there is a restriction on bath size, then there's NO WAY this would pass. Nice bath BTW. 

@newhome - that is exactly what we're worried about. However, I was thinking we could tile underneath and then in theory, we could slot in a different bath if/when we get tired of the comically enormous one? My husband REALLY likes it. We have a bath filler, so that could stay and just be fitted to a different bath, with a shelf around to make up the difference in size. 

1 hour ago, divorcingjack said:

is that building regulation a thing? If there is a restriction on bath size, then there's NO WAY this would pass. Nice bath BTW. 

I believe it is, someone will be along and confirm/deny that. Our building inspector is really nice and accommodating, also our downstairs cloakroom should have the door opening outwards (in case a disabled person falls against the back of it) but I have hung it the way I want so here is hoping he does not spot that either ?

I believe building regs specify allowable water usage per person per day, and make assumptions about how often baths are used. Large baths can be a problem I believe, but don't quote me!

We bought a bath that was 1900mm long as i wanted to be able to stretch out. Our last bath was a corner bath so it was either top half got wet and legs went up the wall or top dry and bottom wet. I tested lots and lots of baths before I found one that I could lie down in.

Near 4 years in I reckon I have used it 5 times. My girls use it more so it's usually full of glitter from bath bombs.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jack said:

I believe building regs specify allowable water usage per person per day, and make assumptions about how often baths are used. Large baths can be a problem I believe, but don't quote me!

Yes I believe it may be something like the bath is assessed at 50% full and shower to bath ratio of 80 / 20. 

Don’t quote me either as you will need to look it up! There is a weird calculation for flushing loos like 4. something I seem to recall. Maybe you have to share the loo flush by doubling up with someone if you go a 5th time lol. 5 times if you’re at the office is a lot unless you have a weak bladder I guess ;)