Plastered and Perplexed

Ed_MK

Morning Chaps.

I had the plasterer come to see me ..Nice chap ..seems to know his onions!

And he was discussing the "first Fix" (Board up single side phase)
..and he rightly pointed out areas and edges that need battening and finished so he can lay good board

..so I made notes 

He told me that I would need 18mm ply here and there for strength ...which was good advice I guess
and then was asking me questions about the Plumber, Chippy and Sparks and when they were coming in
...so obviously a planner..if not a little "picky" which i dont mind

So Discussion was made of 2 part payments one for first Fix and second for Finish board and Skim...

its a new build and I am not sure what really to expect for Finish and skim and whether it has changed a lot from the old days of Browning scratch coat and then that Thistleboard super-smooth one I remember when i left school and TRIED to be a good labourer

I have been told it would be better for me to buy the materials as I could claim the VAT back on my build, SO I said fine ...but the Labour seems to be a VERY different between the 3 quotes i have had ....

I know its hard to visualise ....but its not a MASSIVE house ...its 3 bedroom detached with the only WEIRD bits worthy of note is that:

a) it has a Sunroom (5x3m) which is about 50% glazed area ..the rest will need plastering

b) 2 of the bedroom ceilings are "vaulted"

I know this "blue-skying" ....but what would you EXPECT to pay for labour only to board and skim ...

Does anybody have a good guess for me ?

1 day per room to board

1 day per room to skim

Say 10 rooms, (take the rough with the smooth, the downstairs wc makes up for the vaulted celings)

Say £150 a day (I'm  paying  £120 cash).

£3000 (add a bit on as the plasterer is taking the risk) = £3500

2 hours ago, bassanclan said:

1 day per room to board

1 day per room to skim

Say 10 rooms, (take the rough with the smooth, the downstairs wc makes up for the vaulted celings)

Say £150 a day (I'm  paying  £120 cash).

£3000 (add a bit on as the plasterer is taking the risk) = £3500

There’s plasters and plasters

myself and my son would exspect more than the rates quoted 

we have started skiming a three storey four bed three bath house today and will finish it on Wedsday 

Perfect finish

Starr at 7am away by 3 each day 

Massive difference between the one man bands who are happy to run a vehicle no paid holidays for 120 per day 

3/4 of my house is now boarded and plastered.  I did the boarding myself (me and SWMBO).  The actual cost for the plastering got a bit blurred. He has plastered my house, I will be wiring the new house he is about to start building. Not much money will change hands.

He plastered bare plasterboard with 2 coats of multifinish done and finished in a day.

Most of our walls are studs and battens at 600mm centres. The only place any reinforcing was done behind the boards was where we knew we were going to hang things, e.g speakers, tv's kitchen units, ceiling mounted cooker hood. they all have back plates behind the PB to screw through into.

You do obviously need to first fix wiring and plumbing before fixing the plasterboard.

Regards VAT, it is a new build. Labour should be zero rated, you will NOT be able to claim it back if wrongly charged.  Likewise if he supplies materials on a supply and fit basis, they should be zero rated, again you will NOT be able to claim back wrongly charged VAT for supply and fit.

If YOU buy the materials you will pay VAT and file the receipt for your VAT reclaim at the end of the build.

thanks Guys ...

I dont like discussing What I am being charged/quoted ..as i makes me feel like I am betraying a trust but (sigh)

here goes 

I have been told if i BUY ALL the materials ...Its going to cost me about 6k in Labour.

If i fit all the board ..about £4k

I wish I was fit enough and had a spare pair of hands to help me ...but i don't and so option B is 

a no go 

40 minutes ago, Ed_MK said:

thanks Guys ...

I dont like discussing What I am being charged/quoted ..as i makes me feel like I am betraying a trust but (sigh)

here goes 

I have been told if i BUY ALL the materials ...Its going to cost me about 6k in Labour.

If i fit all the board ..about £4k

I wish I was fit enough and had a spare pair of hands to help me ...but i don't and so option B is 

a no go 

What is the wall area being boarded and skimmed?

9 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

What is the wall area being boarded and skimmed?

Well,

I have the 2 floors attached,

but linears only sorry :(

I used a laser so its pretty accurate ...if anything ..if i had doubts i stuck a little on!

Worth noting though

* It is walls of each room (not ceilings)

* I have not removed areas of doors and windows ..so they are included in room circumferences

* Most rooms are a "normal" height ...except for Sunroom and Master Bedroom ....which are Vaulted (slope up from normal to  beams ..(say 10 foot at top)

I am no plasterer (but I think you all know that!) ...but the rooms are fairly straightforward...although the upstairs dorma's could be "fiddly" i supoose

Plasterboard_Upstairs_Linear.jpg

Plasterboard_Downstairs_Linear.jpg

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Perhaps £100 give or take for a board lifter. Available everywhere.

DSC_1327.JPG

The one I borrowed can only be used vertically. Is yours the deluxe model?

;)

• Haha 2