Where are all the Europeans?

Triassic

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

So is my Mum's Irish citizenship still valid by virtue she's now naturalised  here?

Going by that link it seems so. Send of an email asking the question and take it from there.

No passport opportunities here (beginning to feel in the minority). Parents and grandparents all from London. I think there is an Irish G. Grandfather but I imagine that doesn't count. 

12 minutes ago, newhome said:

No passport opportunities here (beginning to feel in the minority). Parents and grandparents all from London. I think there is an Irish G. Grandfather but I imagine that doesn't count. 

Surely as a Kentish Traveller you're an ethnic minority? :)

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Surely as a Kentish Traveller you're an ethnic minority? :)

Yeah possibly! And I live abroad now of course (or I will if certain folk get their way). I certainly pay 'abroad' tax rates! :(

51 minutes ago, newhome said:

Yeah possibly! And I live abroad now of course (or I will if certain folk get their way). I certainly pay 'abroad' tax rates! :(

I remember a 2 page A4 form at the doctor's. I'd not been in that many years that when I went they gave me a Wellman check up. Page 2 was pretty much just a list of ethnicities with a box to tick. Under White were options for White, Irish, White, Polish & White, Traveller! :)

Edited by Onoff

• 3 months later...

@recoveringacademic how come that dual citizenship has anything to do with wether mum or dad is German? Never heard of this. I am German , my daughter is half German , half Polish and has 3 Passport.

If you have 1 Parent from an EU country , you can have Citizenship of that country. Different rules for non-EU countries as not all EU countries accept multiple citizenships outside the EU -this will be quite something when we Brexit .

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, AliG said:

I too was wondering this. I don't see how it can be legal for the rule to discriminate between mother and father.

Denmark used to do so, only recognising matrilineal nationalisation due to the high number of men with overseas wives. Also didn't permit dual nationalisation either!

Thank goodness that has changed recently (only in the last couple of years!). 

IIRC, Spain only allows one nationality and asks you to rescind others unless you are from a former colony. Dual EU citizenship is out of the question for them

On 08/07/2018 at 23:35, newhome said:

Only just read this. All is not lost, far from it. This extract from my link above:

Born outside Ireland?

You are automatically an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth and was born on the island of Ireland. You don’t need to apply to become an Irish citizen in this case.

You can become an Irish citizen if:

1. One of your grandparents was born on the island of Ireland, or;
  2. One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, even though they were not born on the island of Ireland.

In these cases, you can become an Irish citizen through Foreign Birth Registration.

Once a person is entered onto the Foreign Births Register they are an Irish citizen and entitled to apply for an Irish passport.

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Only just read this. All is not lost, far from it. This extract from my link above:

Born outside Ireland?

You are automatically an Irish citizen if one of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth and was born on the island of Ireland. You don’t need to apply to become an Irish citizen in this case.

2. One of your parents was an Irish citizen at the time of your birth, even though they were not born on the island of Ireland.

In these cases, you can become an Irish citizen through Foreign Birth Registration.

Once a person is entered onto the Foreign Births Register they are an Irish citizen and entitled to apply for an Irish passport.

Both my maternal grandparents were born in the north c.1922 and thought I may have missed out due to partition but that suggests I can still get an Irish passport which is great. Does anyone know the rights of children (third generation Irish) to get a passport if one of their parents has got theirs by descent?

As long as one grandparent was/is an Irish citizen, then that qualifies.  Just have to be entered on the register in Dublin, which is pretty painless.  I did it in person some years ago, after going to Longford to get proof of my grandmother's birth in Ballymacormick.   I found the process pretty easy, TBH.

5 minutes ago, eandg said:

Both my maternal grandparents were born in the north c.1922 and thought I may have missed out due to partition but that suggests I can still get an Irish passport which is great. Does anyone know the rights of children (third generation Irish) to get a passport if one of their parents has got theirs by descent?

Good question. I've been wondering about my kids "rights" too. 

This may assist:

http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/citizenship-greatgrandparent-born-ireland

2 minutes ago, eandg said:

Suggests not unless you have your passport before they were born. Wish I had an inclination about England's latest folly five years ago!

The curious thing is that, at the time I did it, I had no idea that the EU referendum was in the offing.  I just realised that the restriction I'd had imposed on me all the time I was working, which prohibited me being a dual national, had gone when I retired.  I'd also noticed that people travelling on an Irish passport usually seemed to get treated more hospitably by immigration, especially when entering the US.

My situation may be complicated as though both maternal grandparents are full blown, south of the border, Irish my Mum took up Britush citizenship. Not sure whether she retained her Irish citizenship. Tbh I don't think it matters.

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Harris said:

The curious thing is that, at the time I did it, I had no idea that the EU referendum was in the offing.  I just realised that the restriction I'd had imposed on me all the time I was working, which prohibited me being a dual national, had gone when I retired.  I'd also noticed that people travelling on an Irish passport usually seemed to get treated more hospitably by immigration, especially when entering the US.

All the nasty hostage taking etc, post 9/11 was going on when I first thought about it. I was travelling East a bit and figured an Irish passport might give better protection. A change in job circumstances meant no more flying (God I miss 1st Class ? ) so I didn't pursue it. 

5 minutes ago, Onoff said:

My situation may be complicated as though both maternal grandparents are full blown, south of the border, Irish my Mum took up Britush citizenship. Not sure whether she retained her Irish citizenship. Tbh I don't think it matters.

I'm pretty sure that Irish citizenship cannot be arbitrarily revoked, it's a birthright, so remains even if someone chooses not to use it.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

No good for me. We checked out my mother's grandparents as she thought her grandparents were Irish but it was their parents who were Irish so I'm English first and last from a passport perspective! 

40 minutes ago, newhome said:

No good for me. We checked out my mother's grandparents as she thought her grandparents were Irish but it was their parents who were Irish so I'm English first and last from a passport perspective! 

I'd quite like Irish citizenship for some reason I can't put my finger on. Maybe the fiddly diddly genes are finally making an appearance! I must admit I find The Black Velvet Band quite stirring. I'd quite like to go there too but not to visit the multitude of relatives tbh. I'll likely go though when my Mum passes as she wants her ashes sprinkled in the Shannon. Told her I'm going to bung the pilot a tenner to fly low and open a window.

8 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'd quite like Irish citizenship for some reason I can't put my finger on. Maybe the fiddly diddly genes are finally making an appearance! I must admit I find The Black Velvet Band quite stirring. I'd quite like to go there too but not to visit the multitude of relatives tbh. I'll likely go though when my Mum passes as she wants her ashes sprinkled in the Shannon. Told her I'm going to bung the pilot a tenner to fly low and open a window.

I've done this, scattered a friends ashes from the air.  It's far, far harder than it seems.

I made up a length of plastic soil pipe, with a lanyard to stop it falling out of the aeroplane, and poked this out through the partially opened door.  When you get the ashes from the crem they are usually inside a plastic bag that's inside the pot they give you.  Luckily I decided to do a practice run, using some ash from a bonfire, first.  I rigged up an elastic band tied to a bit of cord as a way of sealing the end of the plastic bag, and arranged it so the plastic bag of ashes was inside the bit of pipe, with the open end (sealed with the rubber band) facing downwards.  We flew over the practice area, I pulled the string, and the inside of the aircraft filled with ash...

When we landed we were both covered from head to foot in ash, and had to spend an hour cleaning the stuff out of the inside of the aeroplane.

We did two more practice runs, and found that we needed a really long bit of pipe to get the ash to fall away, and not get blown back.  The other problem was that the ash tended to come out as a massive "bomb" in one big lump, rather than as the gentle scatter we'd envisaged.  The final version of the ash dispenser used a smaller pipe (a bit of drain pipe) and had holes about 12mm in diameter drilled around the lower edge.  We also transferred the ashes into a narrower bag, and added a taped restriction just before the neck of the bag, to limit the flow rate.  This worked OK, although the reports we had from our friends gathered on the hill to see our friend scattered to the wind were that they didn't really see the ashes come out at all.

I should add that what we did was an offence - it's against the Air Navigation Order to drop stuff from a civilian aircraft.  We may also have been in breach of the 500ft rule, too, as we wanted to get as close as we could to the mourners.

• Haha 1