Where are all the Europeans?

Triassic

5 hours ago, Triassic said:

I’ve just noticed that no one has posted anything under this heading. Don’t we have any European members?

Most of us are European, I think.  Apart from the UK and NI members, we have members from Poland, RoI, and one or two other European states I think.

• Like 2

Just now, Nickfromwales said:

Bloody foreigners ?

FWIW, I hold Irish citizenship now, and have an Irish passport, so I'm officially a dual national too.  All the time I was working I was prohibited from holding dual nationality, mainly because the USA have tough rules on not sharing info outside the US/UK special relationship, but now, although I'm still constrained by the OSA, they can't stop me from holding an Irish passport.  I have to say it's a great deal easier travelling with an Irish passport than it was with a UK one - it seems you get a smile from every immigration officer who sees it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

FWIW, I hold Irish citizenship now, and have an Irish passport, so I'm officially a dual national too.  All the time I was working I was prohibited from holding dual nationality, mainly because the USA have tough rules on not sharing info outside the US/UK special relationship, but now, although I'm still constrained by the OSA, they can't stop me from holding an Irish passport.  I have to say it's a great deal easier travelling with an Irish passport than it was with a UK one - it seems you get a smile from every immigration officer who sees it.

Was that a hedge against Brexit or some other reason for wanting dual nationality?

My mum was Irish and so I've automatically been an Irish citizen from birth; it isn't something I have to claim as such. I do have to apply for a passport but that's no different to my UK one. My motivation for getting an Irish passport is most definitely a hedge against brexit and will mean that life shouldnt be any more complicated for me than it is now. Not as far as travelling to europe is concerned, anyway.

5 minutes ago, vivienz said:

My mum was Irish and so I've automatically been an Irish citizen from birth; it isn't something I have to claim as such. I do have to apply for a passport but that's no different to my UK one. My motivation for getting an Irish passport is most definitely a hedge against brexit and will mean that life shouldnt be any more complicated for me than it is now. Not as far as travelling to europe is concerned, anyway.

Until They leave too ... :ph34r:?.

15 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Most of us are European, I think.  Apart from the UK and NI members, we have members from Poland, RoI, and one or two other European states I think.

Of course, you mean GB and NI...

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

Was that a hedge against Brexit or some other reason for wanting dual nationality?

I applied for it before the referendum, really because I was entitled to it and the previous restriction on me not holding dual nationality was removed when I retired, that's all.  FWIW, I don't currently hold a UK passport, as I can't see the point in having two.  I've yet to find a downside to holding an Irish passport, TBH, other than using it for non-travel ID, where it invariable starts a long conversation.  I've got into the habit of using my UK driving licence for ID just to get around that.

16 minutes ago, daiking said:

I used to like foreigners but then I married one.

Me to ! Now I luv um !  (German partner) 

I also have duel citizenship (Australian) Was there for 10 years, my dad is Irish and the family comes from Valentina island in the south so l geuss i could apply for another passport if needed ! 

Born in Wales to a Welsh mother and Italian/Irish father....an array of passport opportunities there (would like one with a Dragon really).....also have South African citizenship but chose not to take up the passport.

On 08/07/2018 at 19:59, recoveringacademic said:

Well, I'm half Jock, half German. Directly related to Kier Hardie. Debbie's jealous as Hell.

Can't apply for German citizenship because my mum was German, not my dad.

Scheiße ist das. Reine Scheiße

Odd how different countries within the EU have very different passport requirements - I thought the idea was to promote free travel, one of the much vaunted four freedoms...

To become an Irish citizen and hold an Irish passport you simply have to show that one of your grandparents was born in Ireland and you then apply to be put on the register.  One this is done you're officially Irish by descent and can apply for an Irish passport.

In my case I had to travel to Longford, find some family graves, locate a local church that had the record of my Grandmother's birth in 1900, near Ballymacormick .  That record then allowed me to do two things, I found a whole load of relatives that I never knew I had  and it also allowed me to apply to go on the register and become an Irish citizen  I did this in person in Dublin, and I think it helped that I had enough Irish Gaelic to get by during the process.

I'm an Irish passport holder by birth in the republic.

Even though I moved to NI age 4 and have lived in the UK ever since, to get a UK passport I'd need to become a naturalised citizen and take the test, £800 and the rest.

I looked into this when my passport was stolen a few years ago in Barcelona - figured it would be handy to have two as a hedge against visa issues, loss/damage etc but when I saw the cost I baulked.

Just about to submit the kids Irish passport applications (as they are born in England) so they can live, work and study in EU irrespective of what happens with Brexit. Very straightforward  - just need my birth cert and €26 each!

37 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

I'm an Irish passport holder by birth in the republic.

Even though I moved to NI age 4 and have lived in the UK ever since, to get a UK passport I'd need to become a naturalised citizen and take the test, £800 and the rest.

I looked into this when my passport was stolen a few years ago in Barcelona - figured it would be handy to have two as a hedge against visa issues, loss/damage etc but when I saw the cost I baulked.

Just about to submit the kids Irish passport applications (as they are born in England) so they can live, work and study in EU irrespective of what happens with Brexit. Very straightforward  - just need my birth cert and €26 each!

I was considering an Irish passport. I've Irish grandparents. Mum's Irish but I think she became a naturalised British citizen years back. Don't know if that fact would stand in the way?

My kids haven't got passports so I was thinking for the future it Might be handy if they had Irish ones.