Building Control Inspection Stages

Triassic

I’ve started my build and have had the building Inspector out a few times to sign off various stages. Is there a definitive list of what needs inspecting and when, as I’d rather not miss getting something inspected.

Edited by Triassic

19 hours ago, lizzie said:

We had a letter at the start telling us the stages they wanted to make inspections and also that they could come at other times at their discretion.

Once your slab and drains have been passed your next one is when you get the roof on Prior to covering it

Then after that Once you have completed first fix plumbing and wiring You will have a pre plaster inspection while everything is still  visable 

After that it’s your final inspection 

Our chap was really laid back and didn't give me a list of stages, but agreed after each inspection when he'd want to come out next.  I got the feeling that he was making it up as he went along, but that may well have been because our build didn't follow the standard format of digging trenches, filling them with concrete and build brick/block walls!

I did find taking him to one side at the end of each inspection and going through everything we were going to do before the next inspection was very useful, as it at least got it clear in my head as to how far we could go before calling him again.

The guys we are using are also very laid back.  There is a list of 6 or 7 stages they would like to inspect, the first one being before the slab is poured.  They came out to look at the dig and were helpful with comments on its depth and the soil (which turned out to have no clay despite the soil survey suggesting there would be some).  However, on being given a few days notice of the slab pour (scheduled for Tuesday) they noted they didn't want to hold us up in case they couldn't get to us and would happily do an inspection via FaceTime.  

I am adopting a proactive approach with them now and have sent some photos by text message too.  I hope they are happy to input where we need as we go on.