Demolition certificate

vivienz

Has anyone heard of one of these?  The council have asked for evidence that the old bungalow has been demolished before they will stop charging me council tax.  Of course, they could just go and look at the hole in ground that's there now, but that would be too easy wouldn't it?  They've suggested a copy of the demolition certificate; a piece of paper that I've never heard of.

I'll send them a bunch of photos and my groundworker's invoice in the meantime and see if that satisfies them.

I've heard of applying to the council for a demolition licence, but not this. I think the photos + invoice should be enough.

If they really want to push it, cancel the direct debit and dare them to take you to court over it!

• Like 1

Bloody jobsworths! Can't you apply directly to the VOA and ask them to remove it from the register alongside sending the council your evidence? They cant charge you council tax if it's not on the register. 

• Like 1

Is thIs one of these zombie pieces of paper that only exists because an official needs an arse-covering document mandated by a nonbinding internal orocedure that no one has ever heard about except Geraldine or Ferdinand who wrote it as part of a make-work assignment during a student placement in 199x?

It reminds me of being asked for a “Drying Certificate” after an insurance claim wrt a water leak. 

If no one knows about it I would knock one together in word, and get it signed by your architect if they will or digger driver / demolition person as ‘Demolition Contractor”, and/Or yourself, and just send it in, with weasel-words like:

”We confirm that the demolition, for which notice was given on X by Method Y (mention the notice you gave them)  was completed on date Z”.

If if there are any specific regs they will presumably tell you at that stage.

Or you could ask the Council person to send you a blank one to fill in.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

I applied to the VOA in April after I'd had the roof removed and holes punched through the felt to make sure there were no bats and that they wouldn't come back.  The VOA eventually replied and said that they thought that rather than now being uninhabitable, it was a do-er upper that only required some renovation to make it livable again.  I phoned the council as soon as it was all done to notify them, and emailed, so one month later they have got around to looking at it.  Sheesh, I wish I could turn things around at that pace at work; I'd have a bunch of angry customers chasing me!

Anyhow, I've replied saying that I've never heard of a demolition certificate and attached a load of photos that are all date tagged. 

Building Control have asked us to apply for a Demolition Notice before we demolish our bungalow. Apparently there is no charge involved. Maybe that is what they are going on about.

• Like 1

Ha! Now I know why the council got their knickers in a twist - I've just received a letter from the VOA notifying me that the property has been deleted from the valuation list, effective on 31st May.  So, as I understand it, the council have no say and can ask for all the evidence they want, but it's the VOA decision that rides. 

Happy days.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2