Hi! Summerhouse

DrawCAD

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

You could actually see vectors redrawing on the screen if you refreshed the viewport.

I remember switching the computer on and logging onto the mainframe that ran Autocad. We’d then type in a whole ruck  of commands and go to make coffee and toast, coming back half an hour later and sit waiting for it to finally come to life!

Edited by Triassic

2 hours ago, DrawCAD said:

I understand Autodesk have slammed the door on registering older products now.

I rang Autodesk within the last couple of months to ask if I could reactivate an old copy of 2000i. They said yes. This for my work's Win7 64-bit machine. Was going to run it under Longbow. 

On 13/07/2018 at 12:40, Onoff said:

I use it too. I notice genuine AutoCAD throws a hissy fit when you open a drawing created in Draftsight. Draftsight has limited 3D capabilities but if you create a solid in DS you can't then edit in AutoCAD. I just have the free version of DS. 

@Onoff Do you use the Pro version (that you have to pay for)?

13 minutes ago, Onoff said:

No, just the free one.

@OnoffYeah me too, I need to find out what the paid for version gives you, I can do everything I need to at the moment with the free version but there might be some very handy functionality with the Pro version. Do you use it for work or just your own projects? 

Edited by DrawCAD

On 13/07/2018 at 17:23, Triassic said:

I remember switching the computer on and logging onto the mainframe that ran Autocad. We’d then type in a whole ruck  of commands and go to make coffee and toast, coming back half an hour later and sit waiting for it to finally come to life!

I was a planning engineer at VT shipbuilders 35 years ago. We used to load all the activity detail (task description, duration, trade, dependencies, etc) into a screen in Portsmouth which was linked by leased line to a mainframe in Tyne Regional Computer Centre. Once we were happy all the data had been entered, you pressed the go button and TRCC did all the calcs and then sent a file to Vickers at Barrrow-in-Furness where a huge plotter printed it out onto 4ft wide rolls. Three days later a big tube arrived by post with the printed PERT charts. We'd then paper these around the office walls, look for errors, correct these on screen and then wait several more days for updated printouts - and repeat ad infinitum! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NSS said:

I was a planning engineer at VT shipbuilders 35 years ago. We used to load all the activity detail (task description, duration, trade, dependencies, etc) into a screen in Portsmouth which was linked by leased line to a mainframe in Tyne Regional Computer Centre. Once we were happy all the data had been entered, you pressed the go button and TRCC did all the calcs and then sent a file to Vickers at Barrrow-in-Furness where a huge plotter printed it out onto 4ft wide rolls. Three days later a big tube arrived by post with the printed PERT charts. We'd then paper these around the office walls, look for errors, correct these on screen and then wait several more days for updated printouts - and repeat ad infinitum! 

Sounds like fun!