Contracts for building

ryder72

After nearly 30 months of planning, discussions etc we are close to making a start  on our project.

The plan is to appoint a main contractor for the initial phase which would involve demolition, site clearance, building garages, groundworks, site preparation etc for MBC.  This will be followed by MBC doing their bit and then we embark on phase 2.

Work pressures being what they are, I intend to use the same contractors to carry out phase 2 which would be getting the building wind and water tight. A glazing supplier has already been identified and the contractor will do the cladding, rendering roofing, skylights, balustrades etc. after which we get to phase 3 which would be the internal fit out.

My question here is about the contract to use. The builder has offered the option of either a JCT (where home owner has not appointed a consultant to oversee) or their own. I find their own contract to be reasonable (but I am no legal eagle). The JCT contract is very vague so while time tested, I am not sure how a dispute would get resolved.

Any thoughts on which type of contract is better in this specific scenario?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's a pity this thread died on the vine. I like ryder72 will be starting on site to do the demolition, site clearance, groundworks, site preparation and foundations.

I'm also a bit of a loss on what level of information is required by those tendering? Also is there a standard contract that covers that standard sort of stuff?

Edited by Triassic

We signed a JCT with our groundwork for the £120k basement stage of our build - I agree that it was a bit wooly in places. Thankfully we never needed to look at it - I did write an appendix with specific items called out that were not clear on the engineering drawings and some agreed site logistics and behaviour.

For MBC and the windows, I used their contracts but made a few edits in my favour. A few contractors required a return of a signed quote with some basic Ts & Cs and the rest are more or less here on a handshake.

The golden rule is to always agree ahead to keep a reasonable amount of money in reserve until you're satisfied with the work /goods, the best incentive to get them to complete the work to the agreed standard.

I've also tried to be as aware as possible as to what's happening and what's planned to happen and to ensure that the spec is being followed and being quick to politely but firmly call out when there is a deviation. We have had a few issues but I've found all contractors willing to sort out issues if discussed rationally.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We're in Scotland and used the Scottish version of the JCT, which is much more clearly worded. We basically chatted it over with our contractors, but insisted that they sign something and saying that we were using the same contract for everyone did help to appease them.