Ebuild refugee

Digmixfill

Hello Everyone,

I've been slowly converting an old brick barn by myself, picking up the skills required along the way. So far I've been able to achieve everything I've needed to by research and reading forums etc. I'm about to embark on building the internal walls to form a cavity and have been unable to find the answers i need, and now it's time for me to post a question I've found that ebuild is no more.  So here i am *wave* 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

Can’t help you at all but welcome and really admire anyone with the staying power to diy hope it all goes well 

There are some days when i question my sanity and wonder why i started this seemingly never ending task :)

5 minutes ago, Dreadnaught said:

Welcome. I have learnt a huge amount by reading the answers to others questions, so I look forward to yours.

That's been my experience along the way.  I usually find that someone else has been hit with the same or similar issue and some helpful soul has given a solution. Hopefully anything i ask will have similar value to the next googlenaut.

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

Welcome! 

Thank you :)

• Like 1

Timber frame would probably be easier, quicker and maybe cheaper to do but my preference is for an inner leaf.

Having read the replies to this and my other thread we are discussing the possibility of timber but new blockwork is looking favourite so far.

Welcome back, great to see you at Build hub. It looks like we have a new took-the-longest-to-find-us-after-ebuild nominee! B|

15 hours ago, Digmixfill said:

I usually find that someone else has been hit with the same or similar issue and some helpful soul has given a solution. Hopefully anything i ask will have similar value to the next googlenaut.

Exactly the right attitude imo.

I too was torn between timber and block, there is nothing I can’t do timber wise but I like the solidity of block and it’s “thermal capacity” (pisssstttt, don’t mention thermal mass, search other threads). And welcome after soooo long.

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I too was torn between timber and block, there is nothing I can’t do timber wise but I like the solidity of block and it’s “thermal capacity” (pisssstttt, don’t mention thermal mass, search other threads). And welcome after soooo long.

Interesting incident yesterday related to decrement delay (i.e. the combination of heat capacity and thermal conductivity of a structure).  A neighbour called by, and as it was so hot outside (around 30 deg C) I asked her in (it was around 22 deg C indoors).  She immediately remarked on how much cooler our all-timber house is inside then her 1980's built bungalow.  She had just come from visiting the Rectory (a big stone built building) and reckoned out house felt even cooler inside than that.

Just goes to show that having a house that stays cool in summer and warm in winter isn't related to the mass of the building material used at all, just the thermal properties of the materials and the way they are arranged.  We have no masonry in our house structure at all, just a 100mm thick concrete pass slab floor internally.

I don’t doubt Jeremy,s house is cooler than most with his attention to detail and high decrement delay materials, we too have had comments, when it was cold in the winter visitors thought I had the heating working but I didn’t, in this very warm weather people remark how cool the house is. I explain that insulation works both ways (think of a thermos flask, keeps tea hot or cold drinks cool). The only problem I have is convincing her indoors not to open the curtains and windows during the day, best to keep them closed and keep the heat out ?.

• Like 1

You definitely feel the drop in temperature when you walk into ours on a hot day.

The only thing we've done for cooling is to keep the external blinds closed and to throw all the windows and doors open first thing every morning to get rid of as much heat as possible before the outside temperature gets too high. Once that's done, the windows and doors are closed to keep the heat out.

I'd love to do an overnight purge, but insects are a bit of an issue. Long term, we'll definitely be doing something with insect screens on bedroom windows and possibly a security screen door on a downstairs rear door so it can be left open for stack ventilation overnight.

My main living space is lovely and cool in hot weather with no effort on my part. There is one room at the back with a fair bit of solar gain and I could help with that if I closed the integrated blinds in this weather. Should get off my arse and sort that really lol, even if it’s just some of the windows. I don’t sit in there so not a major issue but very hot when I go through that room to access the garden. 

Likewise here - 100/150/100 brick bead and block with some rooms having an additional 25mm kingspan. Roof is 200mm fibre, 25mm kingspan internally and most is room in roof. All the glazing is 3G but have a gFactor of 0.4 so tend not to have massive solar gain.

This is all standard build too, just lots of attention to detail on air tightness etc

• Thanks 1

All the care and attention that you put into your build doesn't really count for much when the blinds on my patio doors get left open all day and you come home to a real toasty room sitting at 29 degrees. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I think you hold the record for taking the longest time to find us all after Ebuild closed down!

I've been a little preoccupied. The grinding out and pointing inside to make everything sound took forever. :(

Is there a medal or a trophy to be had for my record? :)

Everyone's comments on cooling is exactly the thing i'm hoping for when this build is finished. The 9 inch external walls should be a benefit and so long as i pay attention to insulation and air tightness all should be well.

2 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

All the care and attention that you put into your build doesn't really count for much when the blinds on my patio doors get left open all day and you come home to a real toasty room sitting at 29 degrees. 

Automated roller shutter doors next?

7 minutes ago, Digmixfill said:

Is there a medal or a trophy to be had for my record? 

Nope! There is only 1 sloooowest medal category here and its current owner is @Onoff whose bathroom renovation started on the old forum and still isn’t finished :). People have built whole houses in less time ;)

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

Nope! There is only 1 sloooowest medal category here and its current owner is @Onoff whose bathroom renovation started on the old forum and still isn’t finished :). People have built whole houses in less time ;)

See, this is why SWMBO puts up with me. I take my time and pay attention to detail in EVERYTHING I do! ;)

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

See, this is why SWMBO puts up with me. I take my time and pay attention to detail in EVERYTHING I do! ;)

You take that long and pay attention to detail over EVERYTHING? Wow I’m impressed ;). Your missus must always be happy and smiley :)

15 hours ago, newhome said:

You take that long and pay attention to detail over EVERYTHING? Wow I’m impressed ;). Your missus must always be happy and smiley :)

26 years today!

I'd have been out in less for murder! :)

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

26 years today!

I'd have been out in less for murder! :)

So would she ;) so thank your lucky stars! 

PS send her my condolences :D  She deserves a medal! Congrats tho! 

Edited by newhome
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, newhome said:

So would she ;) so thank your lucky stars! 

Face like a bulldog licking pi$$ off nettles tonight for some reason. Can't think why, I even let her go large at Otford McDonalds...

Where's the tongue in cheek emoji? :)