Who should do the wet room tanking?

The plumber that is going to be doing all the plumbing work in the house said yesterday that he would fit the wet room former and then the tiler would do all the tanking. Is it normal for the tiler and not the plumber to do the tanking?

He is also being slightly difficult in terms of supplying the wet room kit, i'm not sure why. I ad already provided him the architect plans and a spreadsheet of all the sanitryware etc that we have selected.  Here is what he said yesterday.

I assume you are looking for the bathroom floors to be tiled and flow into the shower area as a wet room?  Wedi do a 22mm proforma tray that is sunk into floor onto the joists which are formed out and fitted with plywood to support the tray.  This height can be adjusted to suite electric UF heating etc if that is fitted.  The tiler then uses the tanking kit to seal all joints and you tile on top of it from there.  If that makes sense.

Have you had your bathrooms designed and picked your ware, showers etc? Are the layouts to be as per the architects drawing?  We would require this kind of info prior to 1st fix so we know what we are working too re setting waste and copper pipe work.

We can quote on the wet rooms kits but would be better designed and done by the bathroom designers and supplied with the bathroom ware per room.

55 minutes ago, ultramods said:

The plumber that is going to be doing all the plumbing work in the house said yesterday that he would fit the wet room former and then the tiler would do all the tanking. Is it normal for the tiler and not the plumber to do the tanking?

He is also being slightly difficult in terms of supplying the wet room kit, i'm not sure why. I ad already provided him the architect plans and a spreadsheet of all the sanitryware etc that we have selected.  Here is what he said yesterday.

I assume you are looking for the bathroom floors to be tiled and flow into the shower area as a wet room?  Wedi do a 22mm proforma tray that is sunk into floor onto the joists which are formed out and fitted with plywood to support the tray.  This height can be adjusted to suite electric UF heating etc if that is fitted.  The tiler then uses the tanking kit to seal all joints and you tile on top of it from there.  If that makes sense.

Have you had your bathrooms designed and picked your ware, showers etc? Are the layouts to be as per the architects drawing?  We would require this kind of info prior to 1st fix so we know what we are working too re setting waste and copper pipe work.

We can quote on the wet rooms kits but would be better designed and done by the bathroom designers and supplied with the bathroom ware per room.

Some plumbers will do it 

But a decent tiler will be doing  them on a regular basis 

• Thanks 1

@nod has it.

It is not about who does it; it is about making sure that an experienced person does. You want a working wet room not a learning experience.

As to how you check that ... did you for example talk to previous customers who you can call back to ask about ishoos 2 years later?

In all likelihood it will be OK.

Could you start a conversation about how he has done it before, in your concern to find the right kit?

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, nod said:

Some plumbers will do it 

But a decent tiler will be doing  them on a regular basis 

+1. Our tiler did ours. Given the state of my plumbing disasters I feel lucky to have dodged a bullet there. 

• Thanks 1

If you want to split the labour, I would say the plumber has to fit the shower former as he has to connect the waste to it. If he is not comfortable with the tanking kit, get the tiler to do that. It's also best not to fit the tanking kit until you are about to tile, less chance for it getting damaged if there is a long wait.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It's also best not to fit the tanking kit until you are about to tile, less chance for it getting damaged if there is a long wait.

Indeed! Won't be doing mine until I've tapered my recesses with tile adhesive, painted the ceiling and done SWMBO's poxy clutch! :(

All moot if you choose a "bathroom fitter" as they ( as I do ) do the lot from start to finish. 

If separate trades then deffo the tilers job. Plus, if there's any extended time between one and t'other you'll not want the tanking getting scuffed and dusty in between. 

• Thanks 1

Q:  "Who should do the wet room tanking?"

A in my case: SWMBO.  Or in our case Wetroom × 3 ?  I am quite a good carpenter (by hobby and anal attention) so I fitted all our formers.  And did the plumbing.   Our tiler was excellent, but he only did the tiling.

So I offer an alternative opinion to Ferdinand, but the main thing is that whoever you get to do it doesn't cut any corners and gets all of the details right.   I personally trusted Jan to do a pukka job here more than an unknown tradesman.  This isn't something that you can fix up or correct later: if the tanking is compromised then you are in real trouble and are in for major rework.  

• Thanks 1

Our tiler did the wet-room floor tanking (Impey system) and first coat of wall tanking. I did the second cross coat of wall tanking.

In another bathroom where we had a low profile shower tray, I did the pre tray install tanking (per @Nickfromwales 'bomb-proof method'), plumber installed the tray and and tiler did first coat of wall tanking, corner strips etc. As for the wet-room, I did the second layer of tanking ready for tiling the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1