Cost of Hipped Roof with gable and flat top

Shah

Hello All,

I have been trying to find cost for a hipped roof with gables to the front and flat at the top (middle section) with no luck. Attached some drawings. Are you able to help? Also what would be pros and cons of such a roof. 

Thanks,
Shah.

Untitled.png

Untitled2.png

Detail is in the ridge finish. Most have a recess of at least 1-2 tiles to allow for the "flat" section to have a reasonable upstand to ensure waterproofing if the flat roof floods. Snow can also be an issue with an enclosed flat roof.

I would say the issue you have there is that there is a parapet all around the flat roof so any drainage will have to be through the roof membrane itself. That has to be watertight and will mean rainwater will go inside the building envelope which has to be managed and designed very carefully. A better approach is a 3 sided flat roof so one side drains naturally and there is no need for unnecessary flat roof penetrations.

Costings...?? The flat bit - a flat roofing contractor should be able to do this easily. I would look to GRP or something with a very long guarantee as it needs to be perfectly detailed. The remainder will be comparatively simple - its just a tiled roof of x square metres, with y metres of ridge etc.

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

A better approach is a 3 sided flat roof so one side drains naturally and there is no need for unnecessary flat roof penetrations

Thank you Peter. So what do you mean 3 sided flat roof? How would that work?

6 minutes ago, Shah said:

Thank you Peter. So what do you mean 3 sided flat roof? How would that work?

The rear slope needs to be open rather than a parapet - water then flows over and down that roof plane

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The rear slope needs to be open rather than a parapet - water then flows over and down that roof plane

Yes I see.

How complex is this roof structure and how easy is the long term maintenance for such a roof?

Is the space in the attic to be used ..? If so, could be as simple as building a steel box of UB and UC and then build a cut roof over the framework. 

“Long term” is an interesting term..! Some GRP is certified for 25 and 30 years, and if it’s not being walked on it could last even longer. Flat sheet lead could last even longer but would need to be properly engineered due to weight but could last decades. All down to cost and skills available. 

Thanks Peter, Yes idea is to use attic space. 

25 to 30 years is a long term and I don't think anyone will be walking on the flat roof :D Well I am just trying to get an estimate or an idea which roof structure is easier to build and maintain as well as what are the cost implications as I like the house design.

It’s a flat topped attic truss really but you could struggle to find someone who can manufacture them in one piece with the ability to support the flat roof structure. 

I would go steel portal frame and cut roof and work from that. 

• Thanks 1