Floor tiles and UFH

Stones

Just getting tiling prices back just now. We are planning low temperature UFH. 

One of the tilers has advised against the use of ceramic tiles with UFH. I'm awaiting his response as to why. Other than the issue of not being through coloured so chips / damage would be clearly visible as compared to porcelain, is there any technical reason why ceramic is problematic with UFH? 

It probably depends on how hot your UFH is going to run at.  Ours never goes above 23 deg C, and that's a lot cooler than a tiled surface would be with the sun shining on it.  I think a lot of tile manufacturers and supplies assume that UFH is going to run at 30 deg C plus, which isn't likely to be the case with a well-insulated and reasonably airtight house.

We have ceramic tiles on our kitchen floor with UFH. Been there 12 years now with no problem. And slate tiles in the hallway again with no problem.

The UFH is under a suspended timber floor using 18mm chipbooard on 400mm joist spacing and the tiles fixed directly to the chipboard.

Ceramic is quite hardy as a material, but I'd never advise ceramic on the floor unless it's a "I've got to have that tile" moment. 

Porcelain is just so much harder and better wearing than ceramic IMO, plus the through colour issue is far, far reduced. I'd definitely say go for porcelain wher ever possible, and I fit a LOT of tiles. ;)

:)

We are planning low temp UFH so I'm not anticipating huge issues in that regard.

We had ceramic tiles on our bathroom and utility floors in the last house without issue (albeit no UFH).  I suspect in the end, the issue is moot as tiles will be  chosen according to what we my good lady likes the look of...

• Like 1

We had considered Travertine but decided in the end we didn't want the ongoing maintenance, and think the same would apply to Limestone.  The tiler we had spoken to advised he would only fit travertine / limestone with the addition of a decoupling membrane (although I don't think that would actually be required with ultra low temp UFH)

We have travertine with no membrane, just bonded to the UFH heated slab with "flexible" adhesive.  No problems with it, and no maintenance really.  We sealed it when it was laid, but since then I;ve been working on the house, tramping mud in, generally making a mess, spilling tea etc and it doesn't seem to cause any damage.  I sweep the worst of the mess off, give it a wipe with a damp cloth and it comes back looking as it did when laid.

The only think to watch is that it can get scratched.  The tiny every day scratches don't show at all, but I think you could cause a bad scratch it you dragged something over it.