Lead to MDPE connection for mains water?

Weebles

Mulling over water ducting issue.

Can't duct to the boundary because our caravan is in the way, so can only duct up to the caravan (which will mean running the duct under our garage - slab to be poured shortly).

To cut a long story short, at 8pm tonight we decided to test a theory - join some MDPE pipe onto our existing (not being used anymore, but only shut off at the boundary so could be opened again) lead pipe which runs from the boundary under the caravan.   So we exposed the lead pipe and cut it in half to measure it.

This lead to MDPE joint will hopefully do as the water supply for the new house, at least until we move the caravan (after we have moved in) and dig a pit to replace the lead bit back to the boundary boxes.

Our question is how to connect MDPE (assume 32mm) to the lead pipe (internal diameter measured at 3/4'', outside diameter measured at 26.5mm which we think might be 6lb pipe (1 3/64'' outside diameter)?  What sort of coupling could we use?  Can't find anything "standard" in the usual builders merchants (online, tonight).    

I wish I could post a photo but its too damn dark outside now.

Legally you can’t use lead pipe in a new connection so it’s a non starter .... water company won’t reconnect it either. 

Duct to the boundary and start again - do not use the old pipe ..!! 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Legally you can’t use lead pipe in a new connection so it’s a non starter .... water company won’t reconnect it either. 

Duct to the boundary and start again - do not use the old pipe ..!! 

It would be a temporary connection so we can move in, move the caravan and then finish off the new connection by removing that bit of lead pipe?

The water company don't need to reconnect as we aren't disconnected, merely diverted to caravan.  

We can't duct to the boundary until the caravan is out.  Can't move the caravan out til we have built the house and moved in.

Wish we'd thought of this earlier but we are where we are now.....

If we don't do this, can we run an overground temporary supply to the new build, then move the caravan and finish off the ducting?

Yes you can run overground and I would as it’s a simple job of moving the pipe into a trench and sticking a pair of connectors in.  

Using lead - even temporarily - is just not something to contemplate. Trace it and rip it up and weigh it in - it will pay for the extra connectors ...!

• Like 1

Thanks.  Been drinking from that lead pipe for the last 3 years (it supplied the house we just knocked down).  And its lead to our boundary too (between our meter across the road and under the road to our boundary).

Might see if Thames Water will test it - they have a lead replacement program...

You're on a hiding to nothing messing with old pipe. Mine was worse in some respects being iron. So rusty as fast as I tried to repair it it sprung another leak. There are some superb (expensive) Plasson fittings that will go from copper/iron/lead to MDPE but even they failed as my pipe was so rough. Everyone on here told me to replace the pipe but I must have done £50+ on bits before I got the message. With lead, change it if only for your health!