Half way point

Thedreamer

On 03/07/2018 at 12:12, newhome said:

Yours would only ever need to include the cost of materials since you will never pay for labour no matter how difficult something is considered to be ;)  

Just read this! :) Standing on the shoulders of giants me! I don't know, I ask. Monkey see / monkey do. I may go off piste on occasion and add my own little twist but I'd be lost without you lot!

12 minutes ago, Onoff said:

but I'd be lost without some of you lot!

I've edited it for you. You would do very well indeed without me :). I however enjoy watching the life and times of @Onoff's bathroom brought to life by photos. It'll be a shame to finish it really ;)

• 10 months later...
On 18/07/2018 at 21:58, jpinthehouse said:

Hi

Hopefully looking at roof on, windows in rational , block work up for about 100k, house size approx 300sqm over 3 floors

Then inside next couple of weeks 

did you manage to get it wind and watertight for 100k? that doing most of it yourself?

2 hours ago, Amateur bob said:

did you manage to get it wind and watertight for 100k? that doing most of it yourself?

Got to wind and watertight on a 165sqm detached brick and block house with 3 rooms in the roof for £58k ... that also included putting in UFH pipes. 

Hi

Upstairs is complete skirtings, doors fitted, bathrooms finished other than shower screens. 

Downstairs the screeders are booked everything paid upto date. Total so far 200k looking like going to be 10% over budget but that is due to up specing after the vat has been claimed back.   I've purchased all the materials 

40 minutes ago, jpinthehouse said:

Hi

Upstairs is complete skirtings, doors fitted, bathrooms finished other than shower screens. 

Downstairs the screeders are booked everything paid upto date. Total so far 200k looking like going to be 10% over budget but that is due to up specing after the vat has been claimed back.   I've purchased all the materials 

thats well under the £1000/m2 a lot of folk on here are saying is min price, did you do most of the work yourself? how does it work with the VAT? You will need a bigger budget than the cost of the build as you need to actually pay for everything before you can claim the VAT back?

14 minutes ago, Amateur bob said:

how does it work with the VAT? You will need a bigger budget than the cost of the build as you need to actually pay for everything before you can claim the VAT back?

Depends how you do it. If you buy materials and get someone to fit them (or fit them youself) then yes you have to pay the VAT at standard rate and claim it back once the house is complete so you will need more money to cover this. If you get a VAT registered builder to work on a supply and fit basis then both the goods and labour will be zero rated meaning you don't need to find the additional VAT money. 

Lots of info about the VAT reclaim scheme here:

• Like 1

I work shifts so have worked alongside the some of the trades but have not worked on it at weekends. Haven't worked much on it myself since December, as getting our own house next door ready for the market (we built in the garden) all trades have been on day rate. We are looking at around 800 ish per sq metre, it can be done but it depends on trade rates, I priced every thing I bought between major building suppliers and went with the cheapest like for like 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jpinthehouse said:

I work shifts so have worked alongside the some of the trades but have not worked on it at weekends. Haven't worked much on it myself since December, as getting our own house next door ready for the market (we built in the garden) all trades have been on day rate. We are looking at around 800 ish per sq metre, it can be done but it depends on trade rates, I priced every thing I bought between major building suppliers and went with the cheapest like for like 

did you use a pre fab timber frame? would i be better to look at what mortgage i can get before putting planning in? wouldnt want to get planning for a 250msq house only to then find out the biggest i can afford is 180m2, what would i do then? thanks!