Half way point

Thedreamer

Interested to hear what your half way point is or was for your total build cost budget?

I hope for us, this will be when the slates are on the roof, windows in and exterior skin has been added.

Does this seem reasonable?

We have slated and rendered the house and garage 90% of electrical is done Three bathrooms are fully tiled I’ve started fitting the bathrooms out but still have baths and taps to buy 

All plastering is done All sash widows are in and external doors Still half the bifolds to pay for 

UFH is in downstairs 150 mtrs of ditra is paid for and awaiting the arrival of a 150 mtrs of floor tiles from Italy 

Spend so far is 135000 and change  £21000 of that is laboure 

mainly on brickwork and some ground works 

Most other works done ourselfs 

Exspect to spend another 65000

• Like 2

Well I did a reasonably accurate costing to try and work out how we are going to finance the last bit, we have spent about £200K with another £20K to go. So I guess that puts me pretty well at the 90% done stage, so only 90% left to do then.

Purely on the basis of finance, half way did not even get us to a wind and watertight shell, that is probably more like 75%

• Like 1

It will be hard to compare as everyone will do things in a slightly different order. We built a large garage towards the end of the build and put an extra room on the back. Other people will probably build their garage at the start. And my husband did quite a lot of the labour beyond the watertight stage whereas we had a builder to put the main structure up so it's difficult to make a like for like comparison. However if you do want one we hit half way after the timber frame and insulation were complete, the roof was done, blockwork and rendering were complete, windows and doors were in, first fix electrics were well on the way and we had bought the UFH kit (but hadn't installed it at that stage). Circa 100k was vat reclaimable materials (excl the vat), and circa 30k labour and hire of plant / scaffolding at the halfway (in terms of costs only!) point. 

Edited by newhome
  • Like 1

Build costs to get to the stage below has cost approximately £32,500 (materials and labour). I hope we get to £75,000 for windows, slates and exterior skin (blockwork and larch cladding). Hopefully, this leaves £75,000 for the insides.

If you add in all costs to our self build: preliminary fees, professional fees, utilities and access it has cost approximately £50,000 in total.

Glad that I now have at least a skeleton of a house, rather than just some blocks and concrete.

P1150397.thumb.JPG.fb784c7cbb7e96fd5e2431ec0141a3f8.JPG

21 minutes ago, nod said:

We have slated and rendered the house and garage 90% of electrical is done Three bathrooms are fully tiled I’ve started fitting the bathrooms out but still have baths and taps to buy 

All plastering is done All sash widows are in and external doors Still half the bifolds to pay for 

UFH is in downstairs 150 mtrs of ditra is paid for and awaiting the arrival of a 150 mtrs of floor tiles from Italy 

Spend so far is 135000 and change  £21000 of that is laboure 

mainly on brickwork and some ground works 

Most other works done ourselfs 

Exspect to spend another 65000

Sorry also included is utility’s 

Far less than exspected 

Profesional fees included in figure also 2.5 k

12 minutes ago, nod said:

Sorry also included is utility’s 

Far less than exspected 

Profesional fees included in figure also 2.5 k

Must be a great feeling if it is less than expected.

I'm hopeful that we can do some work later in the job, prehaps fixing the guttering, painting etc.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I reckon that the real half way point is when you think that the build is around 90% complete: http://www.mayfly.eu/2014/04/part-twenty-eight-90-finished-so-only-around-90-left-to-do/

I was hoping wind and water tight was half way ????  

Pretty bang on budget at half way (slate,render and windows) but what I didn't see coming was tools/toys approx £35k....

Edited by Alexphd1

7 hours ago, Thedreamer said:

Must be a great feeling if it is less than expected.

I'm hopeful that we can do some work later in the job, prehaps fixing the guttering, painting etc.

Little victories are few and far between But great when you have over estimated 

The most difficult part has been the rising cost of raw materials

Perhaps there is a separate half way point for te sweat investment.

80:20 for money spent ‘cos it was the big stuff.

20:80 for sweat ‘cos it is a self-fitout !

(Ignoring the contingency money which will inevitably go on posher finishes than planned if not needed so far to cover roots, newts or suits etc.)

F

Of course the halfway point is easy when you look back because you know how much you spent. At the outset my halfway point should have been at about 110k but as I went over budget by 40k for reasons that couldn’t have been envisaged at the start, or even at the halfway point, I wasn’t halfway until I had spent 130k. 40k over budget in total, mostly labour costs. 

10 hours ago, ProDave said:

Purely on the basis of finance, half way did not even get us to a wind and watertight shell, that is probably more like 75%

Did you encounter some ground work complexities? I assume you are excluding the plot cost in your figures.

So on a 165sqm part conversion (45sqm) part new build that was basically rip the old bit to 4 walls and a steel, mid point was fully wind and watertight with UFH (in slab) and heat pump in at around £60k. 

Big benefit of having a room in roof design and being able to utilise that roof space to the maximum. 

I would say on a square metre basis though, the conversion part has cost more per sqm as insulation cost is much higher (internal Kingspan) and floods have had to be replaced etc and the cost of removing the roof was much higher than anticipated. Hindsight would have seen it demolished as it’s created a fair few issues (not being square to start with ..!)  however any cost saving (inc VAT reclaim) would have been swallowed by additional costs in compliance services such as air tests, DER/TER, and also applying for planning as the permission is for conversion not new build. 

Budget wise we hit the halfway point quite quickly.

Demolition, basement excavation & construction & associated groundworks took about 8 weeks, few weeks gap and then frame erection, windows, roofing and render took another 8 weeks.

First / second fix & finishing took another 9 months and ate the rest of the allocated budget.

Beautiful house in a sea of rubble & mud ...

Landscaping started a year after moving in and has consumed about 20% additional money wrt to the original budget. About a year after starting that (stop stat due to trades & funds availability) we're almost done.

Should get BC sign-off next week :) 

Still a list of snagging / niggly jobs to do so hard to call the halfway point from all of that.

We have spent £215k so far.

This includes buying our neighbours garden, all fees, ie legal, planning, warranty, site insurance, scaffold, utility connections and large wooden garage/workshop.

Exterior finished apart from guttering which is already purchased & will go on next week.

Internally screed & UFH in.

First fix plumbing & wiring about done.

4kwPV & some internal fittings, ie lights & sanitaryware.

Estimate about another £60/70k to finish, including landscaping.

We will probably be about £60k over original budget due to a change in personal circumstances whish meant we were not able to do as much ourselves as planned.

Also cost of drainage & electricity connections more than estimated.

35 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Reckon I'd need a legacy or big win to do a major refurb even!

Yours would only ever need to include the cost of materials since you will never pay for labour no matter how difficult something is considered to be ;)  

• 3 weeks later...