Connecting monobloc flexi tails to a butterfly isolator

LeanTwo

Hello,

I'm trying to connect a monobloc tail to my 15mm copper supply and include a butterfly isolator.  The monobloc tail has a female lower end with a rubber seal in it.  The isolator has the standard 15m compression fitting.  The thread of the male end of the isolator and the female end of the flexi tail are compatible.  Will I be able to get a good seal by just screwing the isolator into the flexi tail or should I use a tap connector or some other fitting between them?

I suppose my question is "How do I correctly connect monobloc flexi tail to an isolator valve?"

Any advice would be appreciated!

Edited by LeanTwo
Clicked too early before finishing!

Thanks for the swift response Tennentslager!  Screwfix do a fitting https://screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap-adaptors-15mm-x-2-pack/2665R?tc=YS1&ds_kid=92700020953279985&ds_rl=1249799&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-HZBRAwEiwAGw0QcQF5i2PhH3QEPYda6QZ2UjBHel_lgB9510U0w-P1KJfJhMALtBoRMBoCK8wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNSqrOjP_dsCFQdj0wod6TwO1Q

Your advice sounds simpler.  I guess the key thing is not to screw the isolator fitting in too hard as its face is designed and cut to take an olive so is slimmer than the flat face of the Screwfix type fitting?

What you should do is come out of your isolator into a short bit of copper then into this for you flexi to fix to https://www.screwfix.com/p/male-coupler-15mm-x/69358

That will give you a flat surface for the washer to seat to.

If you put the flexi straight onto the isolator, the washer will be seating on a much narrower edge where it is tapered to fit an ollive.

Having said that one of my basins is working just fine straight onto the isolator. :ph34r:

58 minutes ago, LeanTwo said:

Thanks for the swift response Tennentslager!  Screwfix do a fitting https://screwfix.com/p/flexible-tap-adaptors-15mm-x-2-pack/2665R?tc=YS1&ds_kid=92700020953279985&ds_rl=1249799&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=CjwKCAjw9-HZBRAwEiwAGw0QcQF5i2PhH3QEPYda6QZ2UjBHel_lgB9510U0w-P1KJfJhMALtBoRMBoCK8wQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNSqrOjP_dsCFQdj0wod6TwO1Q

Your advice sounds simpler.  I guess the key thing is not to screw the isolator fitting in too hard as its face is designed and cut to take an olive so is slimmer than the flat face of the Screwfix type fitting?

Or These

1 hour ago, Tennentslager said:

Re-read this...answer is yes.

Bin the compression nut from one end of the valve and screw on the flexi tail which achieved the seal via a rubber washer. Hand tight then quarter turn only...don't cut into the washer.

Nope. It's a sure fire way to a leak. I used to do it as a 'lad' but it generated a fair stream of soaked kitchen units and call-backs. 

Use either of the linked fittings. The first if they reach, or the ones I linked if you need some pipe between to make up distance. 

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Nope. It's a sure fire way to a leak. I

See @LeanTwo now you know lots of things.

The correct way

The wrong way

An in between way

And the joy of buildhub???

• Like 1