showers, washbasins, toilets etc.

This was supposed to be the fun part - choosing the things I am going to be living with for style and functionality as will as cost.

As the basics continue to go over budget, I now have to do this as cheaply as possible, hopefully without giving up all my dreams.

I thought I had found a good place to buy from - not too far away from here. branded goods and great prices.  Spent ages pricing everything up and then got round to reading reviews.  Was doing a search on the company name and they look pants.

Got a load of good reviews on Trust Pilot - all by people who have only ever written one review (or sometimes 2 for the same company under a different name).  No indifferent reviews.  All either 'fantastic' or absolutely rock bottom rubbish with rudeness, ignoring and even bullying mentioned ('Take that review down or you are not getting your goods').  

My suspicions were aroused when I read in their conditions - "Taking your order and receiving the money does not constitute a contract.  The contract is not in place until we dispatch your goods"

So - back to the drawing board.  Everywhere else seems extortionate by comparison.  Websites are clunky, difficult to negotiate and so frustrating.

Things that look very similar are vastly difference prices and there seems to be no way of telling what is down the the name and what is a functional or reliability difference.

I've got an ensuite shower room - that will be the main bathroom as I live alone.  An accessible bathroom which will rarely be used and a small cloakroom.

Recommendations anyone please?

Edited by Hecateh

That's what I am trying to do.  

The majority of the shower stuff is Hudson Reed.  Nearly everything is about £10 more per item.  

I wanted to have wall hung toilets but that's gone (maybe in my ensuite) but want at least to have back to wall, modern looking toilets.  Not sure about basins - wanted wall hung again - I just can't decide except that I want modern ones with clean lines.  Biggish for the ensuite and entry level and as small as for the cloakroom as that's not very wide.  

It's getting tempting to just go to Wickes and get the cheapest possible

Edited by Hecateh

The most recent bathroom I had is detailed here

Of the suppliers I dealt with Cheeky Bathrooms from Chester for the shower bath and screen, and JT Pickford of Rotherham for the modernist shower taps, Wickes for various heavily discounted bits such as loo, basin and bath taps, and Kitchen Warehouse for the Multipanels.

I was happy with all of those, the quality and the prices, and in the past have been successful with showers and screens off eBay.

But it is always hard work sweating the detail.for a good result, and someone - you or your installer - has to be the detail hawk and make sure it is all sourced and fits.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

We just went to Bathstore when they had a sale on. It was straightforward. We liked the designs, we bought everything for the three bathrooms in one go and got extra discount. Prices were very reasonable and the products are well made.

1 hour ago, Hecateh said:

That's what I am trying to do.  

The majority of the shower stuff is Hudson Reed.  Nearly everything is about £10 more per item.  

I guess what I meant was if you posted the details of what you actually chose we could have a look for the same or similar. 

The condition about the contract isn’t that unusual tbh. Shops often have pricing errors and won’t honour them, especially online. I ordered a handbag online the other week (what a shock ;)) and the order was later cancelled as ‘not available’. It was last year’s style (subtly different from the same thing this year) so I was surprised to see it in truth but thought they were just selling off the old style for a bargain price. 

34 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

The most recent bathroom I had is detailed here

Of the suppliers I dealt with Cheeky Bathrooms from Chester for the shower bath and screen, and JT Pickford of Rotherham for the modernist shower taps, Wickes for various heavily discounted bits such as loo, basin and bath taps, and Kitchen Warehouse for the Multipanels.

I was happy with all of those, the quality and the prices, and in the past have been successful with showers and screens off eBay.

But it is always hard work sweating the detail.for a good result, and someone - you or your installer - has to be the detail hawk and make sure it is all sourced and fits.

Will try all these - and I could actually visit Pickford's - They're only just down the road.  I want panels as opposed to tiles too so Kitchen Warehouse sounds like a good bet.

I know the detail is down to me - and I know price would never be irrelevant it's just that it has to be almost the only consideration that is making me so frustrated 

19 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

We just went to Bathstore when they had a sale on. It was straightforward. We liked the designs, we bought everything for the three bathrooms in one go and got extra discount. Prices were very reasonable and the products are well made.

Will rund my list through Bathstore too

5 minutes ago, Jude1234 said:

Well used QS suppplies, well known makes and  cheap prices

Not heard of these - another one to add to my list.

I think I was hoping to buy all from one shop but I don't think that is going to work.

Thanks all.

30 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Will try all these - and I could actually visit Pickford's - They're only just down the road.  I want panels as opposed to tiles too so Kitchen Warehouse sounds like a good bet.

I know the detail is down to me - and I know price would never be irrelevant it's just that it has to be almost the only consideration that is making me so frustrated 

Will rund my list through Bathstore too

Not heard of these - another one to add to my list.

I think I was hoping to buy all from one shop but I don't think that is going to work.

Thanks all.

I think as per usual, if you wait and swoop you will get what you want.

I picked up lovely bath mixer taps at Wickes for about 2/3 off, and then there was whoever that got that bath suite at Buildbase at (was it?) 85% off.

I picked it up through Pickfords Ebay site, which is one of those linked in my other post - I think it is called plumbtek or similar.

Edited by Ferdinand

30 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I want panels as opposed to tiles too so Kitchen Warehouse sounds like a good bet.

MKM are cheaper than kitchen warehouse for multi panel ... ?

QS Supplies are reasonable until you need after sales and then it is a bit hit and miss tbh. 

Just ordered from BBC in Bradford and only issue was a late delivery as the courier damaged the tray before it got to me - swapped on to a next day delivery and no issues. 

By wall hung  do you mean semi pedestal basins ..?

You can get a wide range from Solutions in Sutton In Ashfield and they have a trade range that is very good and on par with Wickes etc for pricing. Don’t be tempted to go B&Q as quality is shocking ....! Just have a look at the ones on display carefully and you can see even glaze colours don’t match ...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

I think as per usual, if you wait and swoop you will get what you want.

I picked up lovely bath mixer taps at Wickes for about 2/3 off, and then there was whoever that got that bath suite at Buildbase at (was it?) 85% off.

I picked it up through Pickfords Ebay site, which is one of those linked in my other post - I think it is called plumbtek or similar.

I've just seen so many things on so many sites now I no longer have any idea what I want ??.  I think I'll visit Wickes and Pickfords on Monday - and maybe a Bathstore as well.

Edited by Hecateh

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

MKM are cheaper than kitchen warehouse for multi panel ... ?

QS Supplies are reasonable until you need after sales and then it is a bit hit and miss tbh. 

Just ordered from BBC in Bradford and only issue was a late delivery as the courier damaged the tray before it got to me - swapped on to a next day delivery and no issues. 

By wall hung  do you mean semi pedestal basins ..?

You can get a wide range from Solutions in Sutton In Ashfield and they have a trade range that is very good and on par with Wickes etc for pricing. Don’t be tempted to go B&Q as quality is shocking ....! Just have a look at the ones on display carefully and you can see even glaze colours don’t match ...

BBC is the one that has got some really terrible reviews, it has some great prices though.  For basins I like semi pedestal, in cabinet or surface mounted - I just don't want traditional full pedestal.

It’s got some bad reviews but is 4.7 out of 5 overall ..??? I had an issue and it was sorted straight off. Their website does say some things are not stock items and take 3-4 days to deliver but that’s like anyone. No supplier holds stock of everything as they just would sell it all. 

Maybe the reviews are based on people ordering too late and then kicking off about it? If you order in plenty of time and check everything as it arrives then you should have enough time to absorb any delays. Pay by credit card, or at least a deposit if possible. 

It's not just the bad reviews it's what they say.  Too many talk about rudeness and not returning calls for my liking.  BUT that could be someone or some company with a vendetta too,

And the fact that lot's of the positive reviews give the impression of being written by the same person.  

They are not actually that far from me.  Only about an hour so perhaps I'll visit them too.

Personally I can put up with a lot if the price is right and the end result gets me what I want ;). And don’t forget, most people write reviews when they have bad service, not many take the time to write them for good service. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, newhome said:

Personally I can put up with a lot if the price is right and the end result gets me what I want ;). And don’t forget, most people write reviews when they have bad service, not many take the time to write them for good service. 

Me too - but, with this house, going for price (and promises and confidence etc) has let me down with BB and, to an extent, the windows, though I have ended up with a reasonable job there.  Not the one I would have had if BB hadn't let me down so badly.  I know it will all be worth it in the end but I'm just in one of those moods and I wish it was all over, or that I hadn't started

10 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I know it will all be worth it in the end but I'm just in one of those moods and I wish it was all over, or that I hadn't started

That's about 80% of the time in my experience ;). It'll all work out ok in the end but you have to let go with what's past as you can't change it. For the time being the world will be a bit rocky but if you can weather the storm the sun will come out again. It'll take time though - won't be instant, so hang on in there!

Thanks Karen

I know, it's just hard to get motivated at the moment.  I had my bathroom order and kitchen order ready 3 months ago.  With compromises already made because of the foundations and electric supply.  

Now, post Billygate, I can't even afford the compromises and have to cut back even further

At least the sun is shining now and things are moving forward

Edited by Hecateh

9 minutes ago, Christine Walker said:

We all get to the stage we wish we hadn’t started but as we are on our third self build I think it’s a bit like childbirth, you forget all about it once it’s done ?

I'm too old for childbirth too lol

• Haha 2