Rome wasn't built in a day: neither will Salamander Cottage

1 minute ago, newhome said:

What’s rain? It’s been so long I’ve forgotten. 

Oh we have such short memories don’t we, it’s the stuff that’s been falling out of the sky for the last 9 months (down here, it was the wettest year on record).

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Oh we have such short memories don’t we, it’s the stuff that’s been falling out of the sky for the last 9 months (down here, it was the wettest year on record).

It’s been very weird here. Almost 2 months since we’ve had any rain apart from a couple of times overnight. Hosepipe ban in Scotland? Could be a possibility I imagine! Who would have thought! 

55 minutes ago, newhome said:

It’s been very weird here. Almost 2 months since we’ve had any rain apart from a couple of times overnight. Hosepipe ban in Scotland? Could be a possibility I imagine! Who would have thought! 

Noticed this weekend that the grass isn't growing / doesn't need cutting. 

Just now, Onoff said:

Noticed this weekend that the grass isn't growing / doesn't need cutting. 

Same here, Well apart from the damn weeds. Went out last night when the sun had gone and sprayed the clover appearing everywhere in the lawn. 

18 hours ago, ProDave said:

This temperature thing is funny.  Yesterday we were under the harr all day so it was cool outside. The house felt a nice cool comfortable place. 23 degrees inside the house.

Today The sun is shining.  Inside the house feels hot and uncomfortable. Temperature 23 degrees.

Explain that one.

I suspect it's all to do with humidity, and humidity buffering, together  with the way our bodies regulate temperature. For particular temperature, say 23 deg C, we'll feel cooler if we are not exposed to radiant heat and if the relative humidity is low.  My guess is that the effect of the harr was to condense out moisture during the night, as the air cooled, on to every surface, the ground etc, as the air became too saturated with moisture from the night time temperature drop to hold as much water as vapour. 

When the weather warmed up the next day you'd have had the double whammy of the local humidity in the house increasing as warm, moist air was drawn in, plus the effect of a bit of radiant gain.  Generally we feel hotter when the air is more humid, as perspiration is less effective at cooling our skin, due to the reduced rate of evaporation and hence the reduced evaporative cooling effect.

Well we've got a ban in force here, and the reasoning apparently isn't pure water conservation. NI Water are seeing unprecedented volume flow and the issue is the ability (or lack of) the pumping equipment to keep the mains up to pressure at this time. Fine for most users, but folks up a long line atop a hill could find their supply disappearing as it can't get the whole way up there...

What is needed is a change of attitude.

Yes it is hot here, but I don't see my water usage increasing massively.  I don't feel the need to water the grass, it has pretty well stopped growing just now, why would I want to change that?  I don't see the need to clean my car more often.  We don't see the need to have a paddling pool.  I might shower more often but that is it.

So perhaps a hosepipe ban is what is needed to stop people making bad decisions and simply wasting water?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Well we've got a ban in force here, and the reasoning apparently isn't pure water conservation. NI Water are seeing unprecedented volume flow and the issue is the ability (or lack of) the pumping equipment to keep the mains up to pressure at this time. Fine for most users, but folks up a long line atop a hill could find their supply disappearing as it can't get the whole way up there...

I heard they emptied most of the reservoirs to dredge them out expecting our usual wet summer and where caught out when that big yellow thing decided to stay for a while.

It's either that or all the Belfast Millie's had to get baths to remove all their fake tan caked on from last October. That would lower our water stores by quite a bit.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, newhome said:

I thought the climate was supposed to be better in Cornwall

You know those postcards of Cornwall, they were taken on one day in 1976.  Fake News was invented here by Newlyn School of Artists.  They don't really show rosy cheeked children because they are healthy, scarlet fever more like.  The wives looking out to sea on a stormy day is not because it is exciting, it is anguish over lost loved ones.

But the sun is out now, and I have some new cycling longes, so going to try them out.  That should scare the children.

• Haha 1

All I can say is that Cornwall felt a lot more comfortable today than Wiltshire does.  Just back and it feels really muggy and hot here, no real breeze and generally pretty unpleasant.  The temperature in Cornwall was around the same, but it felt a lot more comfortable, probably because of the breeze. 

I don't miss Cornwall at all, except for that near-constant breeze - here we often seem to have too many hot and very still days.

4 hours ago, newhome said:

Clearly. I thought the climate was supposed to be better in Cornwall. 

From my school geography, the Devon and Cornwall climate was described as being like a baby

Warm, Wet and Windy

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Just taken my supper to the beach, was nice.

Snap, just had fish and chips looking at the surfers and a very nice  sunset.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Right now we're at 26 deg C, 80% RH, zero wind speed.  No indication yet of it cooling down, as the sky is still overcast, so is reducing radiative heat loss.  I fear we're in for a hot and sticky night.

A downside I guess for your micro climate that means you need more cooling than heating over the year