Waterproofing Membrane

Triassic

I’ve been getting quotes for 130 m2 of external waterproofing membrane. As it’s for application to ICF I appear to have two choices, dimpled plastic membrane or a self adhesive manmade fibre membrane.

The one thing that’s becoming clear is the price, the quotes I’ve had so far have all been between £900 and £1000. That sound expensive for a plastic sheet? An I missing something?

• 4 months later...
On 29/06/2018 at 08:51, Triassic said:

I’ve been getting quotes for 130 m2 of external waterproofing membrane. As it’s for application to ICF I appear to have two choices, dimpled plastic membrane or a self adhesive manmade fibre membrane.

The one thing that’s becoming clear is the price, the quotes I’ve had so far have all been between £900 and £1000. That sound expensive for a plastic sheet? An I missing something?

yes probably a few things --check with your architect or planners some insist on waterproofing both inside and out and a sump and bilge pump as well as a french drain around outside coupled to a drain , nad very picky on type of back fill to the membrane  depending on how high local water table is and or type of ground .

basements don,t come cheap 

• 2 months later...

Hi @Triassic, what did you go with in the end? Re your question above - I expected you to need both parts, the stick on membrane and the dimpled plastic sheets against this to provide a drainage path when back-filled (dimples against the membrane) and also some protection against damaging the membrane.

I'm also looking at an ICF basement (3 sides) and have been advised by Sika that they do not warranty their product for this due to issues re detailing slab to rear wall and concrete honeycombing - did you find a warrantied system or plan to not worry about warranty given the limited real-world value in this anyway?

Hi @Adam2 I went for Protech SAGM.

I decided against a warrented system, mainly because I was having trouble finding one at a reasonable price. If I have a problem I’ll just have to excavate down and fix it !

Edited by Triassic

• 9 months later...
On 11/02/2019 at 19:29, Triassic said:

Hi @Adam2 I went for Protech SAGM.

I decided against a warrented system, mainly because I was having trouble finding one at a reasonable price. If I have a problem I’ll just have to excavate down and fix it !

I take it you don't need a mortgage on the build? I've been told I'll need a warranty on the basement tanking when I apply for a residential mortgage when the build is completed. The structural warranty I'm getting for the build won't cover the tanking system....