Planning permission and design

Sjk

Hi all,

Could really do with some advice, I submitted a planning application, the case officer wanted us to revise the drawings, which we did although not to the extent he wanted.

We feel the house is well designed and fits in with the area, the officer agreed It fitted in with the near by properties. 

However, he is still not happy and wants me to make more changes which I am not happy about, the house looks fine and I need a design I am happy with.

I'm tempted to let it go to possible rejection, anyone have any words of advice?

It is in a conservation area.

Thanks in advance

Edited by Sjk

17 minutes ago, Sjk said:

I only have vague emails, which contradict either other. So no great help there.

We can’t comment without at least some more precise information; planning, like anything else, has an argot, and some of the vague definitions are very considered and precisely targetted in their vagueness.

Ideally we need the wording of the emails but that may be a bit close to home. Planning is a game of pin the tail on the donkey anyway; without wording or summary it is an entire beach full of donkeys. It is genuinely very similar to bistromathics

It would really help if you could quote or summarise. ?

F

Edited by Ferdinand

So to begin with i was told the house needed to design cues from this building near by.

IMG_0130.jpg

So we revisited our drawings to this 

image001.png

I'm now told it is not individual enough, and he wants the roof orientation changed (minus the gable).

Houses near by include the first image above and the following, as you can see a real mixture.

Capture1.png

IMG_0079.png

Capture.png

Edited by Sjk

@sjk can you show us the other elevations?

Is the case officer the conservation officer?

Also have you had a sit down meeting with the case officer?

Have you done all the plans yourself or have you engaged an architect?

Are there any other new builds that have recently been built in the conservation area?

Yep using an architect, we have both spent a significant amount of time talking on the telephone with the case officer. I would gladly have a meeting with him, sadly I don’t think it will progress the matter although I will keep this in mind. 

Talking of progress, it has stalled for the moment, and got an email to say he was on holiday for 2 weeks and would discuss on his return. 

Will try to find the other elevations, they are pretty standard. 

Other new builds is the conversation area are all totally different to each other, although there are similar designs to mine. 

Edited by Sjk

I gained planning permission for a new build in a conservation area at the end of last year. Our first planning application was refused. After that refusal I arranged a meeting with the case officer, conservation officer, me and my architects. The 1 hour meeting was far more productive than possibly months spent with emails flying about. Each of the issues that the planners had we were able to provide alternatives and agree on solutions. If you have only been dealing with the case officer I think you should push to meet the conservation officer as well.

I would be very wary pinning your hopes of going to appeal if it's refused simply because it's a conservation area.

Having good quality 3d images might also help you out, I was very close to getting this company  https://www.facebook.com/touch3dvisualisation/ create some exterior 3d renders, however we managed to get the council on board so that wasn't necessary.

In terms of your design I would ignore the mediocre newish (10-30 years old) houses that you have show above. The council may have recently changed their planning policy therefore what has been allowed previously doesn't set a president.

Can you upload some photos of the newer builds?

I would be focusing on the best of the architecture in the conservation and drawing inspiration from that rather than trying to reason that because your design is better than the worst of the architecture that it should therefore be allowed.

I don’t think we draw too much on other new builds as they are all so different and most wouldn’t be accepted on this site. What I can say is they are all to a high standard, which I plan for my build. 

We are not saying there are worse designs, we are saying you wanted us to use the characteristics of a building and we have. 

As I said, he’d be happy with the roof changes he requested,  changing the orientation, as he feels this would make it more individual... 

Maybe a meeting will be worth it.