Suspended Timber Floor boards

MikeGrahamT21

How do you normally install your floor boards, do you cut to the joist, or ignore the joists and rely on the tongue and groove? I've always cut to the joist in the past, but i've heard people doing it the other way too, and relying on the T&G for the joint.

Obviously the latter will result in better joints and less waste, but is it strong enough?

We are considering 18mm OSB3 TGV4, or 22mm Chipboard TGV4.

Joints on joists. The only waste is at the end. With 400 or 600mm joist spacing then each board is an integer number of joists.

Usually you get even joust spacing, with an odd spaced one at one side. So start laying starting at the even spaced joist and there is no more waste than you would get anyway when you reach the end.

Yeah, i'll be doing it by myself.

B&Q sell shorter boards (cerca 1600x634, instead of the usual 2400), which means i'll be able to fit them in the car and avoid delivery costs). Not too bothered about cost difference between the boards, I just want the best product. Always a bit dubious of chipboard and any potential water on them weakening them, hence why OSB3 is my first choice, plus its also classed as a load bearing product which chipboard isn't. Joist spacing is a little over 500mm, so we can't go for any less than 18mm OSB or 22mm chipboard. I'll aim for the OSB i think! And get some D4 glue from toolstation next time i'm down there.

Just now, ProDave said:

Joints on joists. The only waste is at the end. With 400 or 600mm joist spacing then each board is an integer number of joists.

Usually you get even joust spacing, with an odd spaced one at one side. So start laying starting at the even spaced joist and there is no more waste than you would get anyway when you reach the end.

Its a 1960s build, and the boards definitely don't line up to the joists, i know that from other rooms i've done! I'll stick to my previous practice of lining board ends up to joists

At 500 centres I would go for 22mm. I use Egger and you can join anywhere - just glue the joints and stagger them. Easier and better than messing about when you’ve got walls in between joists too