Tree Survey cost check

A casual glance at a beautiful oak tree that we have caused me to stop dead in my tracks. I could see daylight in the middle of the trunk at eye level (6 feet).

Tree surgeon called. Teeth sucked. Head scratched. Arse disappears into tree.

Now I'm sucking my teeth at that.

Get a proper survey, mate. That trees at least 200 years old. And it'll cost an arm and a leg to drop it.

Several quotes all in the £600 range for  one friggin tree.

Is it me?

Are you in a conservation area ..?

Decent Arborist will take a look at it - one tree and a page of notes is about £75-100 tops assuming a ground level survey. 

And I pay £600 per day for aerial work - that’s 2 guys and a hobbit feeding the chipper. 

I agree with Peter’s numbers.

The last Report I had was £250 or so for reports on 2 trees to give to someone to make him deal with them, ie notice now given and an assessment of what a third tree has done to a wall.

I would think you could have someone commute from a long way away and still save some money.

I can see they might be cautious given that it is slightly obviously dodgy.

Perhaps if you had an agreement that the report would be offset against the cost of removing it, depending on how firm your intentions are.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Patrick said:

I paid around 800+Vat for a tree survey in a conservation area for all trees on site (around 13-14) .

I guess it includes a multibuy discount for having plenty of trees.

Ouch !!!! That’s a lot ..!!! 

Did you get a GPS map of the trees and accurate canopies for that or just the usual 12 pages with the 2 drawings from the BS ..??? 

We paid £625 plus VAT for full tree survey at planning stage.  About 13 -15 trees at the time.

Had a guy come and cost up felling some of the large trees (20m plus height).  £800 per tree to fell that size was his quote.  2 years ago.

We cut down a 13-14m tree before we started building.  Used a big ladder, some climbing harnesses and ropes, a block and tackle, a hand saw, a chain saw and it helped that the tree was half dead.  5 of us to do the job.  Did it in a few stages over a day.  Top section first, and as many branches as we could get at.  Then middle 7m or so in one go leaving at least 1m sticking out of the ground.  Then the rest.  Got the stump out when we dug for foundations.  That was massive and took some moving.  It would probably have been worth £600 to have it all done quickly and all the stuff chipped and taken away.  We spent weeks cutting up timber and offloading it to local friends and shipping the smaller stuff to the garden waste place.  But so much fun was had by all involved - can't put a price on that?