BT duct supply

jfb

I am laying some ducting for water/electric/BT for barn conversion to dwelling.

I will at first run some Cat 5 cable from my house next door to the barn to provide internet access on the same line as mine but would like to future proof so in the future I can get BT in to provide new line.

Do BT insist on the grey ducting coming up outside the new dwelling (and then drill through the wall for main box inside) or can I run the ducting up to the inside wall of the barn?

cheers

john

The main line that Openreach supply to your property can support 2 or 4 telephone connections (there may be more options). We asked them to supply us with 4 as I intended to use 2 from day 1.

So a single incoming cable can be split within the house to provide multiple lines. I see no reason why the barn is any different from an internal connection, you would just connect up the appropriate wires to the barn leg and get BT to connect it at the exchange and give you a number.

I would suggest you keep the BT line to the barn in a separate duct and away from any potential interference especially from mains cables. Do check what spec of cable you need to have if you are laying this, else leave a rope in the duct until the time comes.

If you're in a low speed area, getting four Openreach pairs is a great idea. You can spin up ADSL2+ on more than one pair and load-share your internet usage across them. It just requires a home router that supports round-robin routing (there are a few).

Or you can do "true" bonding, but that's requires an expensive service, similar to a VPN. Or you can go full-on Ethernet over multiple pairs, which is a business-grade symmetric service (and even more expensive).

In the near future, one way BT Wholesale and TalkTalk might address the upcoming 10 Mb/s minimum speed USO is by using native ADSL2+ bonding -- it's a feature that's already in their MSAN kit in the exchanges, but hasn't ever been offered to consumer users. So, for example, a property that only gets 7 Mb/s can bond two lines to get 14 (well, probably a little less).

4 hours ago, jfb said:

I am laying some ducting for water/electric/BT for barn conversion to dwelling.

I will at first run some Cat 5 cable from my house next door to the barn to provide internet access on the same line as mine but would like to future proof so in the future I can get BT in to provide new line.

Do BT insist on the grey ducting coming up outside the new dwelling (and then drill through the wall for main box inside) or can I run the ducting up to the inside wall of the barn?

cheers

john

Bt will supply you the ducting free of charge 

There not keen on putting there cable through anything else 

I rang them and they just asked how much I needed 

The next day I arrived at the plot to find twice as much as I needed thrown over the fence 

Just now, nod said:

The next day I arrived at the plot to find twice as much as I needed thrown over the fence 

Ps 

I laid all my ducting only to find that I have to have an overhead cable

2 minutes ago, nod said:

That depends where you are. Up here Open Reach supply armoured phone cable and tell you to bury it direct. I only used duct for it under the road crossing.

We bought our own cable (TLC 10 pair, 50m for £60) and pulled it through our own laid duct  - had a grey BT hockey stick next to the pole and they made the connection there and in the plant room where the cable came in. BT never saw the duct in the ground but most of it was the right stuff.

This was cheaper than getting OR to do it (would have charged £5/m for cable and pull though plus ££ for the road crossing). Because we were opting out of a overhead drop wire, we needed to pay for the works or DIY them. 

No charge for the connections though as we ordered a new line.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

That depends where you are. Up here Open Reach supply armoured phone cable and tell you to bury it direct. I only used duct for it under the road crossing.

Well mines all laid with a draw string 

On the off chance that we get underground cable on our side of the road 

Overhead line is being installed on Friday They are going to have to stop the trafficking in both directions All for £55 

Ive had to sign up for eighteen months Line B.B. and call for £29 per month We’d budgeted several hundred for getting a line across the road So not bad value 

I’ve just been up in a cherry picker

cutting trees back

Bt told us they need a direct line of sight and won’t cut anything back

Ive a conduit running from the loft to our study With a draw string 

Hoping they are ok with that

Dont want a wire down the side of the hose

Ours is overhead to a telegraph pole on the corner of next doors garden. They agreed we could  trench and duct from the bottom of of the telegraph pole right to our house. They gave us enough cable to leave a big coil (was about 20m I think) at the bottom of the pole and to run direct though our ducts into plant room.  They ran the cable up the pole and connected it that pole connects to various poles along the lane and they did things at several poles. We lopped some tree branches in advance of their visit. So our line comes in overhead to te pole but then goes completely underground on our property. They were happy with this. We sheathed the lower part of the cable going up the pole to protect it from enthusiastic gardeners.