Tanking A Wet Room

@Nickfromwales, just realised, don't you usually apply tanking strip over the shower valve? I was going to then thought what's the point as most of it will be cut out anyway. Now I'm not sure...

Bit confused tbh as sure before you've said don't cover it completely in case of future access needs. Also you said about putting an inverted U of Sika flex around it with the bottom open to allow drainage.

Ditto the hose outlet on the mitted wall, any need for a square of tape over that?

Cheers

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

@Nickfromwales, just realised, don't you usually apply tanking strip over the shower valve? I was going to then thought what's the point as most of it will be cut out anyway. Now I'm not sure...

Bit confused tbh as sure before you've said don't cover it completely in case of future access needs. Also you said about putting an inverted U of Sika flex around it with the bottom open to allow drainage.

Ditto the hose outlet on the mitted wall, any need for a square of tape over that?

Cheers

Yup. I did one and mummified the valve. Then I looked at it and thought wtf. 

I just did this : first coat of tanking on. 

IMG_7245.thumb.JPG.5e3772c7e60216cf619206611ad28ef2.JPG

Then i tiled it and dabbed a horseshoe shaped dab of adhesive from 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock, and as it's cementitious no water will be getting in there. 

By the time I pushed the tile on and displaced the adhesive I was sponging it away from the tile edge.

Fackin Bombproof.  

Edited by Nickfromwales
Put my o'clocks in order.
  • Thanks 1

I put at least 5 coats of tanking on - its def no more than 2mm thick.  I didnt do around the valve - will put some silicone around it underneath the tile and then again with the posh cover.

Coming on now Mr @Onoff

3 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I put at least 5 coats of tanking on - its def no more than 2mm thick.  I didnt do around the valve - will put some silicone around it underneath the tile and then again with the posh cover.

Coming on now Mr @Onoff

I don't get it tbh. I've done two coats over about 7.5m2. It's gone nowhere except on the wall and floor but it doesn't look that "thick". First coat I used the new 3" brush that came with the kit. For the second coat the 3" was too stiff despite being washed out. I used then a 2" brush. Pretty sure I read somewhere it doesn't appear to have "covered" but in fact has.

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Yup. I did one and mummified the valve. Then I looked at it and thought wtf. 

I just did this : first coat of tanking on. 

IMG_7245.thumb.JPG.5e3772c7e60216cf619206611ad28ef2.JPG

Then i tiled it and dabbed a horseshoe shaped dab of adhesive from 8 o'clock to 4 o'clock, and as it's cementitious no water will be getting in there. 

By the time I pushed the tile on and displaced the adhesive I was sponging it away from the tile edge.

Fackin Bombproof.  

What's that tanking membrane make then? Grey is it?

47 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I was the same - worried about it going on too thick and causing probs when tiling.  No need to panic as far as my experience goes.

Keep putting layers on.  

I'm doing another £40 on the extra 7.5m2 tanking and that's it!

4 minutes ago, CC45 said:

The missus wanted to shower lying down!

I used the products I put in the earlier post.

?

Link must be in another thread, I did look...

Going shortly to get tile adhesive & primer. The place does Larsen products. They do a tanking kit too. Be interesting to get prices / details.

Still can't decide on the grout colour! I'll ask when I get to the place whether I should therefore get white or grey adhesive.

17 minutes ago, CC45 said:

this one 1st - https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p71005 the kit contains 10m of tape - worth the entry price, rest of stuff effectively free.  Used this all up & then continued tanking using https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-aquadefense-waterproofing-membrane-7-5kg/8531d

All good as far as I can see.

As per my earlier post in the other thread the extra tanking kit turned up early! Floor tiles down at the weekend hopefully.

I was going to do my walls first and then the floor - so any crap that flies about doesnt end up on the floor tiles - why are you doing the floor first and then the walls?  Got me thinking now.....

17 minutes ago, CC45 said:

I was going to do my walls first and then the floor - so any crap that flies about doesnt end up on the floor tiles - why are you doing the floor first and then the walls?  Got me thinking now.....

Floor tiles go down first imo.

Wall tiles come down onto them. You then get a horizontal grout line at the base of the wall tiles rather than a face up grout line if you do floor last. Water less likely to penetrate imo especially in the wet room scenario. @Nickfromwales favours this method I believe and he hasn't failed me yet!