Nulok: a self-builder's first look

Monday morning 0900 sharp it arrived. Superb shipping company: they range me twice to confirm they were arriving.

A cheerful Brummie driver (well .... Halesowen is that Brum?) told me that he hadn't had a site H+S briefing for many years. How long did that take? 30 seconds tops.

I write this post as a DIYer and a self-builder. I'm in the middle of the full-on DIY experience, and that's why I chose Nulok. I dunno about where you are , but round here, ya jus' can't get the staff guv.

It looks as if I might be able to manage it on my own . But then again.....

The Delivery Note shows that the all up weight if the delivery was 2.7 tonnes. Imagine my delight then to have to handball it all off the side of the road myself. DIY can be a bit of a bastard sometimes. I have a trailer onto which we should have been able to simply slide the load off the wagon . But I was so exhausted on Sunday night, I didn't unload  the last load from the trailer .

That'll learn me, wunnit?

5.4 tonnes later (once onto the trailer, once off, 2 lots of 2.7)

Can't take a joke? Shouldn'a started this self build should I?

A decent Poldark-sweat later (Demelza would have swooned), I had both earned a sherbet,  and the further hearty dislike of neighbours who had to slow down to drive past the load sitting in the road.   

Funny how the bin lorry could get past nay borra Jimmie ( he's Welsh)

Up yours too pal.

So, unvarnished here's some piccies.

I'll be tekin'  it slow  (back hurts a bit) and posting my Laurel and Hardy-esque  progress . Well just Laurel..... 

Nulok1.thumb.jpg.944e9ffb7e825b0b3c0397cb841fe60a.jpg

That's half the load(ish) for 88 square meters

Nulok2.thumb.jpg.118cd7ead2a046b8e8589d131fc81beb.jpg

Here's the battens which are metal

nulok3.thumb.jpg.5f0323335d68b9dddee98fbb6503d0a0.jpg

One pack of tiles is about 1 square meter. Each tile is 400 by 400. The tiles are supported by metal channels which sit either side of it.

I hope to have recruited a young lad (lad was previously autocorrected to lady: I can wish)  to give me a hand. 

But more of this later.

Bettcha can't wait can ya?

• Like 1

Well Ian, been there done that. The only difference being that I got the driver to crane it up onto the scaffolding, saves a bit of sweat ;). Hope you've checked the batch numbers on the tiles. I think I've got some channels left over if you run short.

47 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Where’s Rollo when you need him?

Jesus, Ed....He'd be a walking safety nightmare. ?

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

[...]

The only difference being that I got the driver to crane it up onto the scaffolding, saves a bit of sweat

[...]

Couldn't work it this time...... not like the Haldane Fisher driver. After 10:30 here, the sea breeze kicks in, so it could be a lot worse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So you didn’t have to drive down to collect them I guess? 

For the plebs amongst us, i.e. me, what makes this system easier for a self builder than traditional tiling and how do costs compare? 

36 minutes ago, newhome said:

[...]

For the plebs amongst us, i.e. me,

[...]

Pleb? We'll I'm not an aristo, so that makes me a plebeian self builder too.

What makes it easier?

It goes click. 

Watch the threads about Nulok: I'll be adding to them by the weekend.

As I say above, betcha can't wait, eh?

Ian 

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

I for one am quite looking forward to it. Especially the chair. I am envisaging something very Fred Dibnahesque ??

I was imagining something along the lines of Three Men on a Roof with @recoveringacademic in the role of Griff Rhys Jones. How will the dog get up there?

1 hour ago, Construction Channel said:

I for one am quite looking forward to it. Especially the chair. I am envisaging something very Fred Dibnahesque ??

You taking about the chair or the roofer!!!

Edited by Declan52
  • Haha 1

• 8 months later...