Is planning permission required for...

deecee

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

You need to check your height etc if it is going close to the boundary.

https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/outbuildings.pdf

It's building into the garden side, the boundary parallel to where it is situated will be substantially away from the completed extension. So guessing that won't be a problem. There's an image included in the original post in this thread of the property plan / boundaries.

Edited by deecee

As part of me asking about materials etc, the contact at the site office has come back with the following:

I have just dropped our technical dept an email to see whether you need Miller approval or planning - are you planning on going into the garden side?

...why would they need to do this? Other than for courtesy?

7 minutes ago, deecee said:

why would they need to do this? Other than for courtesy?

See the post from @Ferdinand. It depends on height, proximity to the boundary etc. Plus most new builds are locked down by the developer and you need to ask permission for almost anything. Your conveyancing should provide details of that. 

4 hours ago, deecee said:

...why would they need to do this? Other than for courtesy?

I think that mostly they don't care once they have sold all the houses adjoining and or overlooking your plot.  They don't want people coming to view a house and thinking 'ooh the garage isn't big enough, look someone has already extended theirs' or 'Why isn't my garage as big as theirs' or anything similar.  Once they have sold all the houses that yours might affect then they generally lose interest.

37 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

I think that mostly they don't care once they have sold all the houses adjoining and or overlooking your plot.  They don't want people coming to view a house and thinking 'ooh the garage isn't big enough, look someone has already extended theirs' or 'Why isn't my garage as big as theirs' or anything similar.  Once they have sold all the houses that yours might affect then they generally lose interest.

It depends. Where I lived before I moved up here it was a new development and the developer didn't give a stuff once all houses were sold as you say. OTOH an estate up the road where a colleague bought a house (same developer) formed a residents' association where they would write to people who didn't follow the rules and make a fuss with the developer. If we followed all the rules we were not allowed to have commercial vehicles on the drive, a shed in the garden, a conservatory, change the garage door, paint the front door, put a up any fencing in the front of the house etc etc. We were only allowed to do pretty much anything with the permission of the developer. 

4 minutes ago, newhome said:

It depends. Where I lived before I moved up here it was a new development and the developer didn't give a stuff once all houses were sold as you say. OTOH an estate up the road where a colleague bought a house (same developer) formed a residents' association where they would write to people who didn't follow the rules and make a fuss with the developer. If we followed all the rules we were not allowed to have commercial vehicles on the drive, a shed in the garden, a conservatory, change the garage door, paint the front door, put a up any fencing in the front of the house etc etc. We were only allowed to do pretty much anything with the permission of the developer. 

Oh how I can see that happening.  Although I suspect the developer still didn't give a stuff, it was just easier to enforce the rules than deal with 'activists'  LOL

In my first house there was a 'condition' that we didn't increase the height of the (18 inch) fence between the front gardens and the front gardens and the road.  We bought the house when it was about 10 years old and, back then generally we did as we were told and it hadn't changed much when I left 18 years later in 1995 - all the front garden were pretty open plan.  Postman wore a path across many lawns; why go back to the road when you don't have to. When I drove round recently nearly all have substantial borders between them and the road and each other

On 20/09/2018 at 11:52, newhome said:

Having moved into a new build in the past we found that we were able to get the guys on site to do extra stuff like fencing and laying a patio. We went up there just before we moved in and spoke to some of the guys on the site. They used a digger to sort the patio out. Maybe the guys on your site would do the same? It definitely wasn’t arranged through the developer but we subbed their subs, and they came one weekend and did it. You might not get the whole extension done that way but even the prep for the foundations would be a help. 

Make friends with the Coddy or the forklift driver. Think you will find materials rather cheap!

labour only might be the way forward for the quotes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Make friends with the Coddy or the forklift driver. Think you will find materials rather cheap!

labour only might be the way forward for the quotes

We didn't ask where the materials came from ... :ph34r:

• Haha 1

There’s many reasons why a developer has covenants in the deeds to curtail homeowners builoing things. Such as to stop you building things too close to sewers and stopping them from being adopted. When all the plots are sold and roads and sewers adopted, they have zero interest in being involved. I was the person with the job of issuing such approval. Sometimes I would get a call from the owner of a 20 year old house insisting that we stop a neighbor building a rabbit hutch etc: Definitely not interested!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Even though the general consensus is that the extension to my garage is classed as a PD, one builder i've spoken to has said that it'll be worth contacting the local council.

As i've said before I'm new to all this, but looking at all of the documentation it does appear that the extension would be a PD and i'm worried that contacting the council will lead to unnecessary fees being paid/drawings being done and so on...

Also, where do I stand with building regulations?

Building regs may not be required if it’s below a certain size and if the building has been completed, it’s an extension behind the building line and you have the builders permission I would be surprised if there is anything for the council to be interested in. 

• Like 1

Further conflicting info from another builder :(  :

...you will have to submit a building notice which is a lot easier than full planning permission, permitted wouldn’t cover this as you are increasing the footprint of the building, permitted only includes a development of the current structure with a garage. 

We use a company called Ask building control for this I would suggest a fee of £350/£400 would cover this

Yep, that is clearly nonsense from that builder. I think you have concluded that PP is not needed, so stick with that. If you're in any doubt the planning portal website is very simple and straightforward to use and clearly explains when you need PP and when you don't.

As for building regs, I gather this is an extension to your detached garage not your house, in which case it may be exempt under class 6. Again all this is just from the planning portal.

CLASS 6
Small detached buildings

1.  A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building—

(a)no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or

(b)which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

2.  A detached building designed and intended to shelter people from the effects of nuclear, chemical or conventional weapons, and not used for any other purpose, if—

(a)its floor area does not exceed 30m2; and

(b)the excavation for the building is no closer to any exposed part of another building or structure than a distance equal to the depth of the excavation plus one metre.

3.  A detached building, having a floor area which does not exceed 15m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation.

It’s such a mine field!

All very conflicting and confusing! ?

The way I’m reading into it is that I’ll need to submit a building notice (so therefore I’ll need some drawings done?). 

No PP (or building regs)?

The garage is going to be used as a snooker room, does that affect whether we need building regs? Will be carpeted/insulated etc. 

On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 14:20, deecee said:

It's building into the garden side, the boundary parallel to where it is situated will be substantially away from the completed extension. So guessing that won't be a problem. There's an image included in the original post in this thread of the property plan / boundaries.

It's not quite clear where the boundary is on the image in your OP. Can you mark it in red tell us how many meters (or feet if you prefer) it is from the garage wall to the plot boundary. We may also need the height of the eaves/gutters of the garage.

Planning Permission:  May not be needed if it meets the height rule near a boundary.

Building Control: You may not need to involve Building Control if less than 30sqm AND is far enough from the boundary. 

In short you haven't quite given us enough information. If you can provide that we should be able to give you a clear answer.

Edited by Temp
  • Like 1

I've just spoken to the local planning office and they have said:

"Further to our telephone conversation and to confirm planning permission is required to extend the property as it's permitted development restricted as per the planning permission 13/03196/FU of the original development application.

Therefore a Householder application is required to be submitted once the property is occupied and both existing and proposed plans are required to accompany the application along with a site location plan highlighted with a red line boundary.  The plans should be to a scale of 1:50 or 1:100.   The form can be submitted online via www.planningportal.co.uk."

:(

• Sad 1

Ok so basically they are saying that Permitted Development Rights were removed or restricted in the grant of planning for the development. I would do two things...

1) Ask the developer to confirm that that planning reference (13/03196/FU - normally they end /FUL)  is the correct one .

2) Log into the planning portal and check the exact wording of all the planning conditions on the grant.

If Permitted Development rights were removed then you will need to submit a planning application. However from your description of the extension I think its very likely to be granted.

While you are logged into the planning portal you might also be able to download a site plan with a scale on it to work out the distance to the plot boundary.

Edited by Temp