Is planning permission required for...

deecee

Hi everyone,

I'm after some advice on the following if you don't mind.  Please forgive me if any of it comes across as a bit basic, I have no idea about things like this!

I'm after getting a double garage extended, it is to be extended by approx 5/6ft to the left of the garage as you look at it. The extension will go into the garden of our home, it is a detached double garage. It has a pitched roof but the pitched roof angle would not need to be changed as the extension will run in the same direction as the pitched roof. The house is a new build, completed in December ’18.

Would this type of thing need planning permission? I've read somewhere you can extend up to a certain amount without planning? Is this something that would need 'clearance' from neighbours?.  I've attached a photo of the site plan of our home, will maybe give you an idea to the positioning of the garage.

Thanks in advance!

IMG_1097.JPG

Welcome ..! If it’s a new house on a new development just check :

- permitted development wasn’t removed by the council en masse when they approved the development

- the developer doesn’t hold an approval covenant for the first x years 

Other than that it should be PD..!

• Like 1

Great thanks - yes I believe we do need to get an approval from the developer, hoping that shouldn't be too much of an issue though as we're not particularly changing the appearance (from the outside looking in) too much.

If it is classed as a permitted development, do we just go ahead and contact builders for estimates? I'm guessing we'll need some sort of plan to run by the developer? (sorry if these are simple questions!)

Yep - quick plan and they should be fine. 

How long have they been built ..? Quick trick is to swap the rear roof tiles to the front so the look is the same, and then just put new ones on the rear. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Yep - quick plan and they should be fine. 

How long have they been built ..? Quick trick is to swap the rear roof tiles to the front so the look is the same, and then just put new ones on the rear. 

Great advice, however as it's a new build (it's not ready until December) and the developer is going to let us know the materials they used we should be good on that front! Will a builder do a plan, or do we need someone else for that?

Edited by deecee

Genuine question: if it's permitted development, don't you need to wait until the house is built and signed off before you can exercise this option? Otherwise you'll be trying to get something signed off that differs from the plans.

If it's not gong to be finished until December, how far along are they with the garage? Seems crazy to have to another builder in to knock bits down and rebuild afterwards. 

• 2 months later...

Unfortunately you will need to wait until the house is completed until you can use PD rights, as they don't exist until the house has been built. 

Might be worth trying to do a deal with the developer to try and get some materials, like roof tiles, so that your extension will exactly match the garage. 

As for plans, then this is the sort of small job a builder can do, especially if you can take some photos of the garage being built, so that things like the foundations etc are clear.  Real pity that the developer won't budge on doing this, as it would have been a lot easier if they had just been able to lay larger foundations with the initial works.

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Unfortunately you will need to wait until the house is completed until you can use PD rights, as they don't exist until the house has been built. 

Might be worth trying to do a deal with the developer to try and get some materials, like roof tiles, so that your extension will exactly match the garage. 

As for plans, then this is the sort of small job a builder can do, especially if you can take some photos of the garage being built, so that things like the foundations etc are clear.  Real pity that the developer won't budge on doing this, as it would have been a lot easier if they had just been able to lay larger foundations with the initial works.

Yes it is, but they simply won't budge from their plans.

I know it's difficult to comment on costs etc, but does anybody have ideas of a ball park figure, will be maybe extending by 6 ft max. Then making the inside 'liveable' as oppose to garage-like (so insulated etc).

Speaking from a developers point of view - They would not touch it. They are in it for a quick in and out of the development. If you want something bespoke you need to do a self build. They might let you buy the materials through them. But if not they will surely let you know the exact manufacturer and type of brick, tile and maybe mortar if its coloured? If not just look on site at the brick and tile packs, it will say on the side what they are.

The PD rights are in this doc :-https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/606669/170405_Householder_Technical_Guidance__-April_2017_FINAL.pdf

Looking at the costs that some websites state for a double garage , they quote around £18k to £23k. This sounds a lot to me.

You need to check what the foundations are on site also. Hopefully its a standard strip footing. If its raft or piled you will quickly increase your costs.

2 minutes ago, Tyke2 said:

Speaking from a developers point of view - They would not touch it. They are in it for a quick in and out of the development. If you want something bespoke you need to do a self build. They might let you buy the materials through them. But if not they will surely let you know the exact manufacturer and type of brick, tile and maybe mortar if its coloured? If not just look on site at the brick and tile packs, it will say on the side what they are.

The PD rights are in this doc :-https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/606669/170405_Householder_Technical_Guidance__-April_2017_FINAL.pdf

Looking at the costs that some websites state for a double garage , they quote around £18k to £23k. This sounds a lot to me.

You need to check what the foundations are on site also. Hopefully its a standard strip footing. If its raft or piled you will quickly increase your costs.

That's great thanks! 

Pricing wise, it's to extend the garage not build a new one. I presume those costs you mention are for a complete new build of a double garage?

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

Real pity that the developer won't budge on doing this, as it would have been a lot easier if they had just been able to lay larger foundations with the initial works.

Agreed, and I can't see why they'd be so reticent to do it given a willingness to pay for it.

20 minutes ago, jack said:

Agreed, and I can't see why they'd be so reticent to do it given a willingness to pay for it.

Its because they are operating a production line of a standard product. They would need to divert resource to making a bespoke item for little or no benefit to themselves.

Look at it like if you went to Nestle and said " you're making five finger Kit Kats on that production line. Can you make me  a six finger one, and a bit shorter than the others please"

31 minutes ago, deecee said:

That's great thanks! 

Pricing wise, it's to extend the garage not build a new one. I presume those costs you mention are for a complete new build of a double garage?

Price wise. I don't know. Its just what the cost calculators for self build finance seems to produce. I assume its a new build garage. but if you extend the existing one , the costs will vary.

1) -One less gable to build.

2)+ Insulate existing gable. Build all the new walls in double skin brickwork plus insulation.

3) +build floor to building regs of a habitable room, i.e. insulate floors.

4) + cost of heating, toilets etc.

5) + internal finishes

So I would imagine the costs will increase over that of a double garage.

If I was you I would look for a local person who can draw up some sketch plans, the local paper etc normally has someone advertising plans drawn for extensions etc, and have 3 builders price it. Unless of course you intend building yourself.

Having moved into a new build in the past we found that we were able to get the guys on site to do extra stuff like fencing and laying a patio. We went up there just before we moved in and spoke to some of the guys on the site. They used a digger to sort the patio out. Maybe the guys on your site would do the same? It definitely wasn’t arranged through the developer but we subbed their subs, and they came one weekend and did it. You might not get the whole extension done that way but even the prep for the foundations would be a help. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, newhome said:

Having moved into a new build in the past we found that we were able to get the guys on site to do extra stuff like fencing and laying a patio. We went up there just before we moved in and spoke to some of the guys on the site. They used a digger to sort the patio out. Maybe the guys on your site would do the same? It definitely wasn’t arranged through the developer but we subbed their subs, and they came one weekend and did it. You might not get the whole extension done that way but even the prep for the foundations would be a help. 

Great idea, thanks for that!

29 minutes ago, Tyke2 said:

Its because they are operating a production line of a standard product. They would need to divert resource to making a bespoke item for little or no benefit to themselves.

Look at it like if you went to Nestle and said " you're making five finger Kit Kats on that production line. Can you make me  a six finger one, and a bit shorter than the others please"

Sure, if the developer is Taylor Wimpey sized, I wouldn't for a moment have suggested this approach. I had the impression it was a smaller developer, but looking back, there isn't actually evidence of that, so I may well have jumped the gun.

It's Miller Homes - so fairly large.

They basically want to stick to the template for that particular house type, then move onto the next (as has already been eluded to).

Extending it through them wasn't even an option as far as they were concerned.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, deecee said:

Great idea, thanks for that!

Do not forget that there may be materials left over that they will give you if you take them away.

That could happen on one part of the estate before they build another bit, since the materials may arrive as a "house kit".

A newbuild Aldi near here gave away 7 pallets of facing bricks last month, due t  the cost of landfill or removal.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1