8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Thousands of window and kitchen fitters can't be wrong? Less messy than that Evo stuff I'd say...thinner bond too. 

So I have a pair of french doors in a leanto, and the frame is attached to a house wall via a vertical batten, and I am applying a trim to cover the batten - about 30mm wide by 2.2m high to protrude each side.

Suitable job for this glue?

Or is it for more delicate occasions?

A couple more to let me get a handle on it.

Sticking a picture hook to a wall?

A curtain batten?

F

Edited by Ferdinand

9 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

So I have a pair of french doors in a leanto, attached to a house wall via a vertical batten, and I am applying a trim to cover the batten - about 30mm wide by 2.2m high to protrude each side.

Suitable job for this glue?

Or is it for more delicate occasions?

F

If it's timber I'd use your stuff as I think it's better for getting in the grain. If upvc then mitre bond imho.  I think that's a 30mm white upvc trim in my photo...6mm thick I think.

What colour's your Evo stuff?

Main consideration is it doesn't ooze out and spoil your frame or hold the trim off the frame so you see a shadow gap.

This was the edge sealant I used. Some advocate using it as the adhesive too:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/sika-sika-plastix-upvc-sealant-white-300ml/7454P?

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, Onoff said:

If it's timber I'd use your stuff as I think it's better for getting in the grain. If upvc then mitre bond imho.  What colour's your stuff?

It says "buff" :-). Probably similar products are available in white.

Probably need to play with it.

@Ferdinand

Use silicone to fix the makeup strip to the timber. 

First, mark a straight vertical line up the frame with masking tape / other about 5mm away from where the trim will meet the frame. Use that as a datum line so you dont end up with a wavy / wonky trim line, which you'll see when you stand back. Apply the silicone to the timber, after the trim has been cut and scribed to fit perfectly, and press firmly into place. Use a 600mm spirit level as a flattening tool to get a nice straight edge. 

Push the trim against the frame and mark lightly with a pencil where the two meet. Slide the trim about 10mm away and apply a continuous bead of 'superglue' about 3mm in from the line starting at the top and working down. Dont stop or let it blob. Have a practice run further in if needed. 

Once you have the bead of glue in place slide the trim in to the frame, and once happy give one blast of activator from top to bottom. Dont over apply. 

When dry, you use white silicone to hide the joint. 

Bingo. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

Scottish hospital closed when English woman

On a serious note this is a concern. Nails are hard to glue without sticking your other hand to it as you need to put a bit on pressure on it until it bonds. Then there was the time that my manicurist was mending a nail break for me, didn’t realise she had dabbed glue on her own hand and stuck her hand to mine lol. 

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

(I don't wear glittery nails)

Life is short. Always sparkle ??

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, newhome said:

On a serious note this is a concern. Nails are hard to glue without sticking your other hand to it as you need to put a bit on pressure on it until it bonds. Then there was the time that my manicurist was mending a nail break for me, didn’t realise she had dabbed glue on her own hand and stuck her hand to mine lol. 

Life is short. Always sparkle ??

I sparkle anyway. ?‍♀️

Cheers.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newhome said:

didn’t realise she had dabbed glue on her own hand and stuck her hand to mine

I was working very late one night on the tooling for the Ford P100 pickup.  We had a small chip that needed to be repaired, so decided that I could superglue the broken epoxy back into place.

Stuck my fingers to it so well I had to spend 2 hours trimming them off with a Stanley.  My boss thought it was funny, especially as I needed a wee.  I had visions of being taken to the Ford P/Type shop with wet knickers.

As for the manicure course.

When I was lecturing we were allowed 2 free courses a year, one as professional development and the other was for fun.  Professional development I learnt BSL as no one could test me on it apart from the examiners, so that worked well (and I am qualified to level 2, so was pretty proficiency and I had a deaf student).

For the fun courses I did things like catering, picture framing and art.  Once I had run out of those interesting courses I was struggling to find anything interesting.  Luckily a friend of mine from the BSL courses had the same problem and we decided to pick something at random, bit like playing snap.

We got the nail course and the rules were we had to do it.

Thankfully I got some more lecturing hours that happened at the same time as the pampering sessions, so could pull out.

I should have done massage really, but I used to be the dummy on that quite often (hard to believe that they struggle to get people to have a soothing massage). 

I was always the only bloke on that too.

59 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

was always the only bloke on that too.

Lots of male masseurs of course but I’ve never seen a male manicurist. I always like the idea of a male hairdresser as I think it demonstrates a career choice rather than something all your friends are doing. Probably wrong of course lol. 

6 minutes ago, newhome said:

Lots of male masseurs of course but I’ve never seen a male manicurist.

Yes, things have moved on, but they now dress it up as 'complimentary therapies'.

Why not sell it for what it is, a pleasant experience.  I can't stand the spiritualism of it all, bloody whale music and scents that make me sneeze.  Like Yoga, good for you all that stretching and balancing, but I am sure no one has really been enlightened to the mysteries of the life, the universe and everything from it. LSD does that.

Off to pick wild mushrooms in the woods now.

Well I go to Yoga most weeks (on the recommendation of another member here) and although I have not discovered the”light” it is good for my “soul” as well as stretching and joint manipulation for my aching body, which does good, I relax properly and rest my mind which is good after years of a hectic life with “timescales” to live by. It also puts life into perspective, very little in life or really important.

11 hours ago, newhome said:

You've used 5 in 10 years?! Not big on nail repairs then? :D

Nails like paper and putting any kind of varnish on makes them worse.

Having said that, my imagination has made them stronger since taking the Vitamin D3

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Why not sell it for what it is, a pleasant experience.  I can't stand the spiritualism of it all, bloody whale music and scents that make me sneeze.  Like Yoga, good for you all that stretching and balancing, but I am sure no one has really been enlightened to the mysteries of the life, the universe and everything from it. LSD does that.

Off to pick wild mushrooms in the woods now.

I’m a simple sort. I can’t be doing with any off the wall stuff in a massage. Crystals and the like don’t do it for me. 

I tried yoga once fairly recently. Wasn’t really my thing I think but maybe it was just the set up of the class. Very small studio, very hot, I’d never done it before and nor had 2 other people in the class yet the instructor just launched into her routine without any explanation. The class had been advertised as suitable for beginners and she knew there were 3 newbies there. Plus it was only 4 weeks after my knee op so I couldn’t do half the stretches properly. 

I might give it another go but with someone different and possibly in a 1 to 1 session to begin with. 

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, newhome said:

might give it another go but with someone different and possibly in a 1 to 1 session to begin with. 

Of just watch some youtube videos and teach yourself.

Then a Big Mac for tea.

Just remembered that two ex-girlfriends now teach yoga.  Looking back it is amazing the similarities between them, and the reasons they are both ex's.

Here is a video about Meditation for Humility, what a load of shit.

Edited by SteamyTea

11 minutes ago, Hecateh said:

Nails like paper and putting any kind of varnish on makes them worse.

Having said that, my imagination has made them stronger since taking the Vitamin D3

My nails tend to stay pretty decent if I use polish but have a tendency to break if I don’t. My manicurist always says treat them like jewels not tools but that’s difficult when you are trying to do stuff. I do however try to remember to use gloves more often than I did previously. Getting lids off things is a good example of things to avoid so now I just wreck screwdrivers instead :)

And everything is mind over matter, surely you know that? :D

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Of just watch some youtube videos and teach yourself.

Then a Big Mac for tea.

No chance of me doing that! I’d watch the video whilst scoffing the Big Mac! ?

42 minutes ago, newhome said:

I’m a simple sort. I can’t be doing with any off the wall stuff in a massage. Crystals and the like don’t do it for me. 

I tried yoga once fairly recently. Wasn’t really my thing I think but maybe it was just the set up of the class. Very small studio, very hot, I’d never done it before and nor had 2 other people in the class yet the instructor just launched into her routine without any explanation. The class had been advertised as suitable for beginners and she knew there were 3 newbies there. Plus it was only 4 weeks after my knee op so I couldn’t do half the stretches properly. 

I might give it another go but with someone different and possibly in a 1 to 1 session to begin with. 

The class I go to is great, we’re all over 21(?) and all have aches and pains and her mantra is “don’t do anything that hurts, were all different with different abilities, it’s not a contest” (thank god!).

• Like 1

I use this for my stretching exercises.  Got it for nothing as the rear brake had disconnected itself.

The mudguards and saddle cover were from Poundland, water bottle I picked up in the 90's while watching the end of Le Tour in Paris, I like to think that Alex Zulle drank from it.

The speedo was from B&M for a fiver.  The rack and bags I already had.

So a 7 quid bike.  How much is a yoga lesson?

Bike.jpg

Edited by SteamyTea

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

The speedo 

I read that as speedos! :o

Yoga was £8. I wouldn’t cycle round here. Too many maniacs on the roads. Funerals are more than £8! 

Just now, newhome said:

I wouldn’t cycle round here. Too many maniacs on the roads

You should try Cornwall! I go to one of the most visited spots, I just see cars as a challenge and refuse to ride in the gutter.

Having said that, I don't ponce about and if I can get out the way I do.

You can usually tell if a rider is confident or not by the way they position themselves on the road and how much they wobble.

Last time I did any real cycling was in the Blue Mountains in Jamaica. It was very staged and organised though. As in cycling tour company organises a vehicle to drive ahead of cycling group slowing down any vehicles coming in the opposite direction until we pass. Driver communicates to team members in the cycling group and they make the tourists aware. One team member at the rear ensuring vehicles don’t overtake. All stops are organised and no one sets off again until everyone checks in. There weren’t many vehicles up there in truth and the scenery was stunning. 

51 minutes ago, joe90 said:

The class I go to is great, we’re all over 21(?) and all have aches and pains and her mantra is “don’t do anything that hurts, were all different with different abilities, it’s not a contest” (thank god!).

My friend is a huge fan and persuaded me to give it a try. I’m not great at mind resting in that I don’t do it. I’m either doing something, reading something or asleep, but don’t find that an issue if I’m honest. Well not currently anyway. 

There were definitely no younguns in the yoga class I went to lol. There seem to be different flavours of yoga but I have to admit I don’t know the difference. The one I went to was Vinyasa flow yoga :S

1 hour ago, newhome said:

It was very staged and organised though

Sounds dreadful, over protective, dull, and everything I hate.

If they ran a climbing tip, would they put fluffy cushions on the deck and a lift up the rocks.