Crawl space heave gauge vapour barrier

Daniel C

I don't like the idea of a wet solum and poor ventilation means it will be very humid under there, putting any timber at risk. I would want that sorted, and a vapor barrier and some gravel to hold it down would be the easiest, pour a concrete slab would be better.

Then whatever you do in terms of insulating the floor it will be in a less damp environment.

I should be able to post some photos of the crawls space next week, I am not sure if it would help in the decision or not.

So right now, everyone agrees that I should install the vapour barrier on the bottom of the crawls space as well as below the UFH and screed?

(sorry for keep repeating your answers, just want to make sure I understand it right)

8 minutes ago, Daniel C said:

I'm currently thinking to use EPS instead of PIR for floor insulation, is this a good or a bad idea?

It's fine, but EPS needs to be about 50% thicker to get the same insulation value.  Sometimes you can get EPS at a better price overall, and if you have the space to fit the extra depth, then EPS is fine.

So I should use 225mm if I want to go for 150mm, that might be an issue...

I was even just looking at how poisonous/harmful the materials are and they said EPS is better.

At the end it will come down on space and price I guess

This is how the crawlspace looks like, sorry for the bad photos not really sure which angle would be the best for the crawls space, but it might give a bit of an insight:

IMG_20180703_151459_1.thumb.jpg.50c2c6a30898bd8508fadee582d9842b.jpgIMG_20180703_151525_HHT.thumb.jpg.969a20af762ae9b0c318a072f6779729.jpg