Hi All, just bought a granite house

Daniel C

48 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

I have been staging a personal war on selfies for a decade or two

So you mean you’re not a cat with many identities? I am disappointed ... ? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, newhome said:

So you mean you’re not a cat with many identities? I am disappointed ... ? 

Miaow. ?

it Is possible that I am a refugee from Red Dwarf, but presumably in the current culture cats are only allowed to be played by actors who self-identify as felines.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everyone, 
We are getting on alright, photos are coming soon, pretty much done with destroying stuff and starting to build now.
We have encountered a problem, during the heavy(er) rains we got some groundwater leaking in from the walls, 1 corner, 3 locations of the house.

It seem like it leaks between the stoned, I am thinking just to raise the ground level a bit (the water just comes a few cm ups, and that all), then foil and 5-10 cm concrete  on it.

Any advise, better idea?

I have considered:

• putting in pumps with barrels - do not want to run, service and rely on a pump
  • digging down and putting in either plebes or pipes with holes to create path for water - it sounds like a lot of work an not sure if it would have a better affect than foil and concrete if we are just talking about a bit of water

I can't help with any advice I'm afraid but we'd love to see some photos. Anyone have any advise for @Daniel C re his leaky walls although you may actually be better off starting a new topic in the relevant forum for that issue. 

Edited by newhome

1 hour ago, newhome said:

starting a new topic in the relevant forum for that issue. 

Yes please. Were still 'introducing' here ;) 

On 30/07/2018 at 21:45, Daniel C said:

Hi Everyone, 
We are getting on alright, photos are coming soon, pretty much done with destroying stuff and starting to build now.
We have encountered a problem, during the heavy(er) rains we got some groundwater leaking in from the walls, 1 corner, 3 locations of the house.

It seem like it leaks between the stoned, I am thinking just to raise the ground level a bit (the water just comes a few cm ups, and that all), then foil and 5-10 cm concrete  on it.

Any advise, better idea?

I have considered:

• putting in pumps with barrels - do not want to run, service and rely on a pump
  • digging down and putting in either plebes or pipes with holes to create path for water - it sounds like a lot of work an not sure if it would have a better affect than foil and concrete if we are just talking about a bit of water

Definitely needs a thread of its own to get some answers. 

Select the relevant forum and then copy and paste that into the OP. Raising the ground level up to get rid of damp?.....nope !

• 3 months later...

Hi Daniel, 

We have just bought a granite house in the granite city and pretty much interested in doing all the same things that you have listed with your house :) So I'm very keen to know what have you ended up doing and how are you getting all with it all. 

Currently we are looking into insulating the walls and fixing solum/subfloor & timbers from dampness (just this morning after a heavy rain came across a small stream of water running through the walls, though ours is terraced house, so we need to investigate if this isn't coming from our neighbour). So I would like to know what have you done with yours at the end.

Thanks, Lina