Hi All, just bought a granite house

Daniel C

Dear All,

Thank you for accepting my registration. Please see below the overview of my current "DIY" project:

I have recently purchased a granite house in Scotland, and it does require quite a bit of a refurbishment. After reading more and more on forums and watching videos I ended up with more and more questions. I registered and posting for 2 reasons:

• To find the best way to solve these issues and
  • Hopefully help for people who face similar problems/questions

The main reason why I am not sure in some subjects like wall insulation is cause there are many different opinions and/or not enough information on granite houses (at least I either did not find the right sources or it did confuse me).

I am looking to do the following refurbishments which of course I will post in the relevant forum threads in more details:

From these points some are straight forward, some I am not even sure if required. I would like to document the whole process post photos, videos, prices and time to help for people who are trying to do similar projects.

I am planning to hire someone or a company who can do help me in some of the processes and probably give me advice on stages which I will try to do myself.

I was already looking through some posts as a guest, and although I still have  many questions, I am 100% sure that people here will be able to help me out.

Every feed back is welcomed, thank you in advance,

Daniel

Some photos uploaded as requested, nothing exciting yet:

2_rooms.thumb.jpg.ed74b654a06a3c89faaab43ea8ba0ae9.jpgbedroom_fireplace.thumb.jpg.b892a0188a951519546fb730414b90fc.jpg

Garage.thumb.jpg.108eb39ef79d6e488125cdfe5f03b9f5.jpgkitchen_bult_in_cupboard_-_remove.thumb.jpg.b6de7d9ddb3a6deb3a127200dee9ea92.jpglivingroom_fireplace.thumb.jpg.092172feb1ca5aade7b2c9d5b4ea1836.jpgNot_sure_why.thumb.jpg.b2e2d63fdeb1c236e0690b49e260adf7.jpgstaircase_from_bottom.thumb.jpg.3d53ff53e4687d7d64cb1bcade853564.jpgstaircase_from_top.thumb.jpg.13aaf01a5d6b5e70da3cf4297fcbf679.jpgTop_floore_1_room.thumb.jpg.29e62e631a213cbcfeddd00fc535114e.jpgfront.PNG.f8c33639788f8ae7d4eb859f003f0f17.PNG

Edited by Daniel C
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Daniel C said:

.Of course, I'll try to post some photos, I thought it would be better to post for the specific threads. 

Yes absolutely post photos for the specific threads. Just a couple to whet the appetite would be great here too :)

1 hour ago, Daniel C said:

Installation of heavy gauge vapour barrier to the crawls space – quite a few questions here

Is that for Radon protection?

• Treating and fixing floor joists – should be relatively straight forward
  • Insulating floor and replacing floor boards – should be relatively straight forward
  • Installing underfloor heating – should be relatively straight forward

They kind of all go together.  How much insulation can you fit on ground floor. That is quite important.

Installing insulation on the walls – not sure if required

Almost certainly will, the walls will have a low U-Value, low SHC and probably leak air though them too.

Lots of granite places here, and they are all hopeless when it comes to thermal efficiency.

2 hours ago, Daniel C said:

Hi, 

Yes, Aberdeen it is.

Of course, I'll try to post some photos, I thought it would be better to post for the specific threads. 

Welcome !

We like photos. 

We tend to be visually stimulated here. Architecturally, I mean, of course.

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Is that for Radon protection?

No, initially it is for vapour/steam protection. I have been advised to install it to protect the floor joists, but when I looked in to, I am not sure if there is any point, and if there is then how far should I go up, do I even need to block the vents (I do not think that's a good idea) etc.

They kind of all go together.  How much insulation can you fit on ground floor. That is quite important.

Yeah they are pretty much together you are right, there are some separate topics with each, this is why I split them.

I should be able to fit 100mm thick insulation boards

Almost certainly will, the walls will have a low U-Value, low SHC and probably leak air though them too.

Lots of granite places here, and they are all hopeless when it comes to thermal efficiency.

Yeah, I see your points, I am just not sure how to actually insulate it, as I assume I need to keep them breathing.

I found a brand/product, but not sure if it is actually as efficient as they say. Tried to read some reviews but most of them seems like written by people who making/selling it. I am talking about Bauwer.

Anyway, I will make separate posts, and update my original one with the links

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

What do you want to end up with?

It looks nice, well done!

A first stage "development" I am focusing on the internals. I was thinking to extend upstairs as well, but right now it will be just OK for size.

The only "thing" which I might add is an extra walk in bit before the front door, something like that:

Capture.thumb.PNG.99d05e9af6266fd58c4d813fb917bb68.PNG

Probably change it's roof for a pyramid style so the guttering  is sorted.

Edited by Daniel C

36 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Photos are in the initial post...

Good point in my other post, I will just add extra replies here, instead of keep changing the original and make it confusing.

Made 2 topics, and will create the rest:

It seems that my post about the crawl space should have included the joists, floor and the UFH as well in it, as it seems to be all connected.

I have put some more information about the planned changes to the floor an insulation in that post.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the keys today, hooray!

I will upload plenty more images and plans on the existing and new posts.

Today we just had the

• Kitchen furniture guys to come in and take some measurements (It was Wren kitchen, will see if we go with them or not, any feedback on them is appropriated)
  • Structural engineer to come in and have a chat about wall removal
  • Removed some floor boards to access the crawl space to take some photos
  • Oh yeah and we found strawberries and raspberries (not ready yet) in the garden
  • Like 1

Not actually bought from WREN as they refused to even quote based on plans.  'Let us know when you are in and we will come and quote 'dear''  (They didn't actually say dear it was the tone of voice.)  Crossed them straight off my list.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel C said:

It was Wren kitchen

Have a search for Wren on this forum - lots of comments about them on here. 

Congrats on getting the keys - exciting times! 

Arranged the design appointment when the measrung one, I will need to go in in about 10 days, will update on plans and prices then.

Thank you. I will search for them, thought I give a general update and ask for any feedback

Good to see a plan :-).

If you are doing crawl-space buggering-about it could be worth having a couple of things around:

Mirror on a stick.

Perhaps selfie-stick for piccies.

The former is about £5 from Amazon or EBay. I don’t know about the selfie schtick since I have been staging a personal war on selfies for a decade or two.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

20 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

£1 from Poundland

Presumably now reduced to 50p since Poundland have gone not gone bust :ph34r:.

(Edit .. that was, apparently, Poundworld)

Edited by Ferdinand
Brand confusion