temporary solar shading

Whilst I am still researching all the various options of blinds and films et al I have found a temporary solution to my main problem window......3mx 2m £150 job done it works a treat and will not to to waste whatever longer term solution.?

BDA6BCF3-BD63-4B5A-9B15-81B53B945001.jpeg

3C98ACF6-2317-419E-B0DA-13470F7FD29A.jpeg

• Like 5

@Russell griffiths love shade sails have had them in other countries and yes they would look good here but we are on the top of a ridge and the wind blows really strong even in summer it can get up. Huge valley in front no buildings to stop the wind coming clear across from the Malverns 40 miles away.....locals have had ridge tiles blow off, our roof is very well anchored with extra straps to withstand winds......i hope!

I can take the umbrella down quickly and easily, shade sails sadly not such an easy option and they would not survive well here. Thanks for the idea though.

On 22/06/2018 at 18:35, lizzie said:

@Russell griffiths love shade sails have had them in other countries and yes they would look good here but we are on the top of a ridge and the wind blows really strong even in summer it can get up. Huge valley in front no buildings to stop the wind coming clear across from the Malverns 40 miles away.....locals have had ridge tiles blow off

The lady doth speak with much wisdom.

• My previous house was located near the top of a south west facing escarpment and was noticeably windy even in mid summer. I concluded the local condition was caused by the wind accelerating over the top of the ridge as the elevation in the land squeezed the body of moving air.
  • The sailor in me knows how difficult it is to hold even 1m2 against a strong breeze of 30mph. The difference in force between 30mph and 40mph gust is not 33% but 77%.
  • My last neighbour returned from Auz and put up a sail shade and they were always repairing the installation. They gave up when a mid summer gust snapped the main support pole which was good thing because I was waiting for the sail the yank out a few facing bricks.
On 22/06/2018 at 18:35, lizzie said:

I can take the umbrella down quickly and easily

It also incorporates a highly sophisticated automatic pressure relief system known as "toppling over".

Edited by epsilonGreedy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

The lady doth speak with much wisdom.

• My previous house was located near the top of a south west facing escarpment and was noticeably windy even in mid summer. I concluded the local condition was caused by the wind accelerating over the top of the ridge as the elevation in the land squeezed the body of moving air.

No one can have anything like that here and leave it out, neither sail nor closed umbrella, as it's just too windy right on the coast. We can't even leave things like patio furniture out unless we expect it to make a bid for freedom. It's interesting seeing that the amount of destruction is largely minimal when we have huge gusts here (100 mph is not unknown) as everyone knows what the weather is like and plans accordingly and most trees etc. are only here that can withstand those weather conditions on a fairly regular basis. This is in stark contrast to other areas getting the same type of gusts that are unusual for them with newsworthy photos in the press. I recall my hubby picking up a full sheet of Celotex on a really windy day and a gust blew it out of his grasp and it shot into the air and made a lightening dash for the sea. It was scary seeing it lift high into the air, traverse 2 fields and 2 roads before it hit the sea and kept on going. But there was nothing we could do about it.