Locks for tenants?

mike2016

Hi,

I'm thinking of what internal door locks I'll need.

For bathrooms I was going to use a lock you just turn on the inside (no key required) and it displays red/green on the outside, like in hotels etc. I'd also make sure it can be overridden from the outside though using a flat head screwdriver in case of emergencies, thinking my in my old age passing out on the loo.....

For the bedrooms though I plan to rent out one or two rooms. I don't mind having a fixed lock you can turn when you're in the room for privacy but should I allow a setup using a key that a person can choose to lock from the outside when they are away? I can keep a master key so at least I can access with prior agreement....

What about if a family with kids buys the house? Should doors be lockable - if there were keys they could be removed and kept somewhere safe, whereas the fixed thumb lock could be a problem with kids. 

Thoughts? 

Pick a handle style that does a Euro Cylinder handle too and buy a couple of spare handles that are blank. 

Fit Euro cylinders with thumb turns on the back of them from a decent locksmith and you can get them with a landlord or master key. Each room has its own lock and then the master does all. 

I’ve done exactly this set up with an activity centre bunk room previously. 

Sounds perfect for my tenant situation, what about kids though....? Not a problem but down the road I assume the euro cylinder could be remove / swapped out with a blank? Thanks.

Ahaa...I think you meant swap the handle with blank ones.....gotcha...

Edited by mike2016

What sort of tenants?

What Council area ... will have policies?

What sort of House / household / tenancy or tenancies?

What sort of separate / communal facilities?

Are you a resident LL or not?

eg is your Council one of those that comes plonking along and goes ‘Abracadabra there are locks on these doors and they have ensuites, so it is now 6 x band A properties for Council Tax purposes’? You can also have ‘right to access’ issues if the T decides to keep it locked. One way if you are resident is to provide some sort of service that requires access included in the tenancy.

All of the above affect your decisions.

I think external doors are required to have thumb turn locks on the inside. If they inspect they may make you change those if it is wrong.

Make your outside doors keyed alike. Much easier, and you get lots of spare keys for stock. For my most recent project I think I have 10+ keys.

F

Edited by Ferdinand