fire extinguishers

I have always had the usual one in the kitchen (never used thank goodness) and am about to buy one for the new house which set me wondering should I have others in the house e.g. in the plant room and if so what type?

Any one got any tips?

I’ve just renewed my house to nsurance and one of the new requirements is to have two smoke alarms and two fire alarm extinguishers I asked why and I as told it’s because my house is timber framed and has some exterior cladding. 

12 minutes ago, Triassic said:

I’ve just renewed my house to nsurance and one of the new requirements is to have two smoke alarms and two fire alarm extinguishers I asked why and I as told it’s because my house is timber framed and has some exterior claddin

Thats interesting.......I have a smoke alarm in plant room and one in kitchen/open plan area so whole house is covered (single storey). Fire ext in plant room and kitchen seems the way to go then.

Best place to buy?

Don't forget a fire blanket for the kitchen and CO2 detector if you have a stove / gas appliance etc. Know where the main water, gas and electricity breakers/cut offs are. Place trampoline under master bedroom window etc....(!)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mike2016 said:

Don't forget a fire blanket for the kitchen and CO2 detector if you have a stove / gas appliance etc. Know where the main water, gas and electricity breakers/cut offs are. Place trampoline under master bedroom window etc....(!)

You probably mean CO.

And it needs an 11ft deep pond imo not a trampoline ?. Or a slide.

Legally a carbon monoxide (CO) detector is only required where fixed heating appliances are used however there is nothing stopping you fitting one near any gas appliance. 

They can also be standalone however as Aico do one that is interlinked and matches their fire and smoke detectors it makes sense to link them.