Ferdinand

I bought a Flir One for my android phone. Very nice, just had to get the right dongle (On The Go) adapter when I changed phone to USB-C. The newer one can swivel 180 degrees as some phones reverse the USB connection. Resolution is poor but good enough for the task, great for getting temperature measurements and for comparisons / gradients / cold bridges. 

flir_20171216T201957.jpg

flir_20171216T202043.jpg

flir_20170801T205513.jpg

I managed to borrow one, but you can rent if you only want to do your own house. Wait till winter as it won't be as effective in the summer 

I had a Flir 

Edited by dogman

I have a Seek Thermal camera, that works with any Android phone or tablet (but there are issues with some devices that have the OTG USB port facing the "wrong" way).  I don't use it that often, in fact it's probably a year since I last used it, but it does work well.  If anyone wants to borrow it I'm happy to loan it out.  The Seek Thermal app is a free download and should work on any Android device.  The sensor resolution is reasonably good, at 206 x 156, so a fair bit better than the 80 x 60 resolution of the FLIR One, and more than good enough for anything related to work on a house, from detecting heat loss from the whole house, to looking at details at things like a consumer unit.  My main criticisms of it are that the field of view is quite narrow - good for looking close up at things, not so good for trying to get a wide angle view,  My other criticism with the app is that it's easy enough to use, but it has the irritating habit of changing the screen orientation right when you don't want it changed.  I found that using the free app Rotation Locker, before loading the Seek Thermal app, sorted this, in the main.

Feel free to PM me if you want to borrow it.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You need to be proper careful wandering around the neighbourhood at night pointing cameras through people's windows. You'll get a  reputation! :)

Maybe he's already got a reputation he's trying to uphold? ;)

I find it's not so much the resolution as the viewing angle of the lens (I forget the proper term) that can be an issue. I used one of the dedicated units a few years ago and had to stand a good way back from the area of interest which makes it more difficult for use inside. I don't know how the modern phone-connected devices compare.

@mike2016 how far away were you standing for your shots?

Edited by gravelld

Decision made.

I am going for the Seek Thermal Compact IOS (ie Apple) version to match my iPAD.

The best price I have found is £210 delivered via Amazon Prime.

Does anyone happen to know of any offers, codes etc?

Cheers

Ferdinand