How do I calculate the amount of PV needed?

ToughButterCup

No, no stipulation from anyone other than ourselves.  We just wanted the whole roof to have a decent warranty for peace of mind.  I'm generally not to bothered by warranties on stuff that I'm going to DIY, or that's relatively easy to get at, but if we had a failure with the roofing then the cost to put it right could be pretty high, what with the cost of scaffolding etc.

6 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

No, no stipulation from anyone other than ourselves.  We just wanted the whole roof to have a decent warranty for peace of mind.  I'm generally not to bothered by warranties on stuff that I'm going to DIY, or that's relatively easy to get at, but if we had a failure with the roofing then the cost to put it right could be pretty high, what with the cost of scaffolding etc.

Ok, just before I let you go ( :) ) would your buildings insurance not kick in anyway? I dont see them asking if the PV was DIY or MCS? Or would / could they in order to refuse a claim?

Apologies, but relevant to a couple of irons I have in the fire at the mo ;) 

20 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Had they done the same with PV, offered a grant to reduce the initial capital expenditure, then I can't help but feel that would have both cost less money and resulted in an easier to manage scheme, with no long-term commitment to continuing any subsidy. 

They definitely offered grants up here (Scotland) via the Energy Saving Trust. We got circa 2.5k back that was about 30% of the capital cost of the thermal store, boiler and and ST equipment I recall. Unfortunately in order to access the grant the ST could only be installed by an Energy Saving Trust approved installer, and essentially he knew how much we were getting back so he charged us what our grant money was to install it and was only here for a day or 2. And then what happened next was that the scheme was withdrawn, most of the installers ceased installations, and now I can't seem to get anyone to service the ST system so on the surface it was a complete waste of money. 

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Ok, just before I let you go ( :) ) would your buildings insurance not kick in anyway? I dont see them asking if the PV was DIY or MCS? Or would / could they in order to refuse a claim?

Yes, it may have, or it may not have been that simple, as the building insurer may have wanted evidence that the standard of the installation was fit for purpose.  At the time I wasn't in a position to ask around future house insurers, as the frame had just gone up, and we were a fair way away from switching from self-build insurance to normal building insurance.  It just seemed easier to make sure that whoever I used gave a reasonably long warranty, so we had some confidence that the work was done to a good standard. 

There's also my experience to throw into this equation.  At the time I was getting quotes for the roof and in-roof PV I was still going up a fairly steep learning curve, and didn't have as much understanding or confidence as I do now.  I think I might now be prepared to DIY an in-roof PV fit, but that's largely based on having closely watched our own installation.

Ok, thanks. 

Im used to clambering over roofs and have done ST installs, on-roof as opposed to in-roof though. TBH I think the in-roof looks a lot easier to undertake, and a lot easier to get it centralised / symmetric and for the least visual impact. 

Ive spoken top a couple of people who went in-roof and DIY and they had no prior experience but fitted it right first time round without issue. May be good to get the roofers PoV / input as to where to mount them so as to not cause any issues / problems for roofing.  

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

You need to check with the specific insurer but most will cover solar 'panels' for damage etc. however they were installed (as in they don't ask). 

Mine says this:

Buildings - The structure of your home including its fixtures, fittings and services, garden walls, gates, fences, hedges, paths, drives, patios, tennis courts, wind turbines, fixed solar panels and permanent swimming pools, saunas, hot tubs all within the grounds of your home and for which you are legally responsible.

All of the above are covered for all normal insurance events such as fire, storm, floods etc. Only hedges, storms and fences are specifically excluded from storm damage.  They don't ask who installed any of those structures. 

It won't cover events where the equipment ceases to function however unless it has been damaged by one of the covered events. 

If you are fitting an in-roof system I would check that this is covered by the term 'fixed solar panels'. I would say yes but I would get the customer to declare the make of panel to the insurance company for the avoidance of doubt. 

• Thanks 1