Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

I understand the suggestions of leccyB's & helmets.. I will look into it (I dont actually pee mesel.. not just yet/ just an old wives' tale concern of leccyB's thats all). I don't quite understand laughing at some whose struggling with cold though but there we go. It seems anything available that makes one feel slightly superior relative to another is par for the course with us humans. I have more than you/ my situation is better/ my house is warm > look at him he's cold! If I didn't understand people before.. nevermind.

But once Ive done a full upstairs wall refurb, I hope I just won't have these 'ice-cold' unliveable beds1&2. So I'm looking into rockwool & considering a plan for this very tricky huge job (eg: I can't get a pB up the fkn stairs! anyway a job for later).

I do find alot more condensation on the kitchen windows than prior to the job done. A whole cup full of water on sill each morning during recent cold snap. Ive read this is actually a -good- sign (?!) & so, possible evidence that the kitchen job -has- added some insulating effect, albeit the jury's out on if enough for me to actually feel any different.

Condensation:

Pretty sure once again, earlier in the thread I mentioned that if you insulate and make airtight you need to consider ventilation? Pretty sure I did. You can also create dead air spaces get mould etc. Condensation does show though you've created a bigger temperature differential which is good.

Maybe run a little dehumidifier?

I'm seriously looking to DIY a single room MVHR solution to vent my bathroom and try and recover some vented heat. I have the space in the loft to consider a long tubular design. Yes I could buy but I WANT to do this. It'd be a piece of pi$$ for you if ever you were to consider it what with your amp / cabinet making skills & attention to detail. This thread might be of interest:

Edited by Onoff

26 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I don't quite understand laughing at some whose struggling with cold though but there we go.

You're kidding right? I had no heating in this house for ages and it was bloody freezing. I got by BECAUSE I had an electric blanket and a heated throw. It would have been intolerable otherwise IMO. And @Onoff has his share of 8 degree rooms on and off (see the name even fits ;)) so no stranger to living in a freezing cold house, so no superiority at all. We KNOW what it's like cos we've been there . We don't laugh AT anyone here, we laugh with you (and at ourselves) through a bit of light hearted banter. Tis that sort of humour on this forum. 

Out of interest what did the EPC show when you bought the house? I know they're often not worth the paper they're written on but what did it suggest as improvements there to improve the score? 

• Like 1

Thanks Onoff I'll look into that thread. Its not a major issue this condensation, & is last on the list to address in fact. the bathroom, as it remains so damn cold even pumping in a fan heater flat-out, doesn't suffer in this dept! i can open a window after a shower/ 10 mins, gone. Very last on the list, & into 'luxury additions' should I ever be in this regal position, is adding a vent above the shower > loft > out etc. Neither on the "imperative list" tho which is a long as my arm & gonna take me 2 years still.

Newhome I don't know what EPC means, but I have the sale doc here of house: shows Energy Efficiency Rating graph, currently at '1' (1-28/ bottom/ worst/ red/ G band) and potential  '64' which is mid-band (yellow/ D band). Current 'green' Co rating worst too fwiw.

11 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Newhome I don't know what EPC means, but I have the sale doc here of house: shows Energy Efficiency Rating graph, currently at '1' (1-28/ bottom/ worst/ red/ G band) and potential  '64' which is mid-band (yellow/ D band). Current 'green' Co rating worst too fwiw.

Yeah it's that - energy performance certificate. What does it say about the scoring and what improvements does it suggest that would bring it up to a D? Here's a random one I found on Rightmove with a similarly low rating. Suggesting various improvements and noting the reason for the poor score. 

EPC.pdf

Newhome Im fine with rib-taking. But not when if someone's in discomfort/ in an unpleasant situation, & its not funny, it doesn't make any sense.

I mention Im very cold here to my builder & even with him.. a small laugh. why? what is it I just said that is in any way amusing? nothing. The only reason for the laugh, is people just automatically/ by default react to a situation whereby if they can feel superior to X.. they will just fall into suit (FAR too easily without pausing to think). My point is it just seems a human trait. I just do not understand people that's all- I never will.

Anyway on to filling me' ole with some wood & stuff. Pesky pipes in the way of my frames. And bunch of wires. @PeterW  What do I do here?

Can foam be put direstly against/ on these big thick wires? If I don't then there'll be an air gap > cold air in.

Edited by zoothorn

48 minutes ago, newhome said:

And @Onoff has his share of 8 degree rooms on and off (see the name even fits ;))

I DREAM of rooms at 8degC! :)

The name btw stems back to a grammar school teacher berating me for my attitude / not making the most of the opportunity etc. (I'd been caught after ambushing two to$$ers and got caught kicking 7 shades out of the one I'd put down (the other ran off). A teacher grabbed me from behind so I went for him. Tbh he was pretty good about it when I explained my side.

The comment was that I could really make something of myself if I knuckled down as when I did it was good but when I didn't etc and that it was either on or off with me with no in between.

Thereafter I switched off! :)

I lived the first 23 years of my life in the familly 1930's house. I recall that being very cold, even with central heating blasting away. Condensation on the bedroom wall was normal.

Later I bought my own 1930's house and that was another ice box.  It was heated with storage heaters when I bought it, woefully inadequate for the amount f heat it needed.  I used to come home from work to a cold house and sit in my armchair with a 1KW fan heater blowing at me to warm my space.

Living now in such a well insulated low energy house, really brings home just how utterly rubbish a huge amount of the UK housing stock really is, and I am not convinced that you can really do that much to improve them significantly.  I am convinced a lot of people if they experienced this would never again buy an old leaky house.

The EPC's were presumably introduced to inform choice and make people improve houses.  Most peoplem would never buy a fridge unless it has a A+++ energy rating, yet seem happy tobuy an old house with an EPC G or even F rating, then perhaps complain about the heating bill.  Logic would surely say that the older poor houses should be worth less to reflect their high running costs, but nobody seems bothered, except landlords will not now buy the very poorest as they have to reach a certain standard for rental.

39 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Anyway on to filling me' ole with some wood & stuff. Pesky pipes in the way of my frames. And bunch of wires. @PeterW  What do I do here?

Can foam be put direstly against/ on these big thick wires? If I don't then there'll be an air gap > cold air in.

Wrap some plastic around them and then foam it up. You can make the frame in sections to fit round it - doesn’t need to be pretty !

32 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am convinced a lot of people if they experienced this would never again buy an old leaky house.

I grew up in a cold 1930's house too, C.heating on barely ever, my folks didn't have £alot.. but it ain't a patch on this place. Its pretty warm outside, but inside its just cold. Even with thermals on & fan on half @ me, my legs & feet are cold.. in the extension/ the warmest room!

I -had- to buy an old leaky house needing alot of work inc a chimney needing replacing/ taking a big gamble.. as this was the only thing I could afford. Id still rather this than living in a small 1-bed well insulated flat in a cr*p uk town.. even if my legs froze together!!

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.

I think the thing that depresses me the most about this 'story' is the thought of another 25 just like you ;).

• Haha 3

A separate Q. Ive a 6x2" area of render, yanked away by Power Co, on my outside wall needs filling (been there for months- only just got a ladfder to reach it). I have readymix mortar.. but I think render has some water-resistant addition: can you advise?

thanks all.

2 hours ago, newhome said:

I think the thing that depresses me the most about this 'story' is the thought of another 25 just like you ;).

I'm sure Onoff's lines are from a MPython sketch, ripping yarns or RutlandWkndTv.. I can't quite put my finger on it, sure it was M.Palin tho in yorkshire accent..

Great colliedog pic btw newhome!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

A separate Q. Ive a 6x2" area of render, yanked away by Power Co, on my outside wall needs filling (been there for months- only just got a ladfder to reach it). I have readymix mortar.. but I think render has some water-resistant addition: can you advise?

thanks all.

6 inches by 2 inches?

I would normally say a cheap waterproofing additive like this:

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p80460?

If I look in screwfix, what's the word to search for, 'plasticiser'.

So what's the difference betwwen render, & mortar for bricks etc? do you add this stuff into mortar as a matter of course when building any exterior say block wall? been meaning to ask this Q for ages.  

Yes 6x2 inches. Whilst I'm up me ladder, I do notice many gaps between my upvc soffits (I think its the word) @ gable end, & the uneven wall they're on. Are these worth expandi foaming? or will the cold air just get into loft via roof membrane anyway/ not alotta point.