Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

Understood Peter.. but surely @ the pir edges, filled with soudal say here, need a stable wall face to stick to: if a bit crumbles whilst or after the foam set onto it, I might have an air gap I cant really see to repair kind of ruining the job.

If you've got either  3x2 or 4x2 on side against the wall and foamed front to back, it will not move !! There is no impetus to make it move so you won't have an issue. Make 2 frames - one front, one back - and foam the edges of the PIR sandwich and you will have no issues at all.

Ok I'm now confused of the frame. Thought I had it but..

So is the frame a vertical 'picture frame', Im pushing into the hole, parrallel with me 'ole front door? I'm not understanding the 1st part of your sentence above/ I can't visualise (esp '3x2 on side against the wall').

This is where we need an onoff-banksy eg!

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

Ok I'm now confused of the frame. Thought I had it but..

So is the frame a vertical 'picture frame', Im pushing into the hole, parrallel with me 'ole front door? I'm not understanding the 1st part of your sentence above/ I can't visualise (esp '3x2 on side against the wall').

This is where we need an onoff-banksy eg!

Yes correct -  picture frame one goes in, wedged and foamed about 10-12” back. 

Leave the foam to go off, cut the excess off and then cut a piece of PIR or two to the thickness you want to a rough shape. 

Push these in and foam round the edges to hold them in. 

Finally, another “picture frame” foamed in to be level-ish with the wall. 

Clearer..??

Yes thanks- I did have this plan in mind, just your previous reply stumped me for a bit/ such is the way with written replies etc.

Why the last frame tho.. to hold all the pir's in place pushing them all against each other? shouldn't the pir's be joined together as I go with foam..

I guess there's no definitive way to do this just shove it all in so long as its secure enough.

Ah ok.. I hadn't thought any pB was in the plan tho, as if I'm going to undo the main pB's & shove rockwool in then I can't re-use the pB's (can I?) but do new ones.

I'm not on board, sorry. Do you mean create the front frame to stick way out, as would be needed so the new square of pB is flush with the wall's existing pB's?? With the 2" gap needed.. I'd need to somehow make a frame protruding 5" out from me 'ole castle wall faces. I think I'm stumped- I just can't visualise what you mean re this front frame & pB.

Ok  think I'm there then. Not quite sure on the finishing of the pB.. but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

I tried to show exactly these studs, relative to me 'ole, in the most recent pic above tho.. maybe not seen?

Thanks Peter.

Not to pi$$ on anyone's parade here but if that hole you're blocking up is the ONLY access to the void above the kitchen ceiling then what are you going to do the day you get a burst pipe in there...or a chewed wire? I'd be making an insulated door / removable panel.

No no.. good point (& thx for thinking ahead) I do have a ~1/2 sized loft hatch in kitchen ceiling I can just about haul me arse up thru. About same overall size as me 'ole/ window. If I were to pir the loft joists, I'd have to get the pir's up in small thin bits, up thru me' atch: a sod of a job surely.

On 29/11/2018 at 10:08, Ferdinand said:

elaine-s-bed-breakfast.jpg

(Not implying Scrooge btw, just the outfit.)

What about a blanket you switch off before you get into bed?

Haha- depressingly, uncannily similar.. execpt Id be blurred due to shivvering!

Yes I could get a blanket.. just never used one & Id only always forget to turn it on.

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Haha- depressingly, uncannily similar.. execpt Id be blurred due to shivvering!

Yes I could get a blanket.. just never used one & Id only always forget to turn it on.

Best thing we did when we lived in a very very cold house. We still use it in our normal temperature (I.e. cool) house now.

Could put it on a timer so you don’t forget. 

1 hour ago, daiking said:

Best thing we did when we lived in a very very cold house. We still use it in our normal temperature (I.e. cool) house now.

Could put it on a timer so you don’t forget. 

I've been trying to persuade him since he joined BH but to no avail so far lol! :) I first bought one when I moved into a house with no central heating. Always had one since. I like being cosy in bed but hate warm bedrooms so it works well even in a heated house. 

6 hours ago, zoothorn said:

One reason newhome why I'm not yet onto 'leccy blankets, is I think cos its the last thing that says to me 'you're middle-aged/ you're now finally NOT young anymore'.

Plus p*ssing meself.

Modern leccy blankets can be washed in the washing machine so I doubt a bit of pee is going to hurt it - or you.  Especially if you get an over blanket rather than an under one.

Plus

Pissing yourself is far more a symptom of getting older than using a leccy blanket is.  :ph34r:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, zoothorn said:

One reason newhome why I'm not yet onto 'leccy blankets, is I think cos its the last thing that says to me 'you're middle-aged/ you're now finally NOT young anymore'.

Plus p*ssing meself.

You're joking! You will freeze to death without making it to middle age ;). I bought my first one in my 20s when I bought the house with no central heating. Have had one ever since and don't give a stuff whether it defines me as 'old' or not as comfort over image any day. Anyhoo, I don't suppose you are a vision of youth wrapped up in layers of clothing in bed :)

older-adults-cold-in-bed.jpg