Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

Done the 2nd plaster coat.. gonna be a sod sanding as I couldn't get too smooth with pits & ridges.. but I can't hang about now.

On another note: 2nd pic.. Ive got alot of very hard to get off paint from this opposite wall. How best to get this off? this is the remenants after a huge graft scraping what I could off.. I just can't get all this off just scraping.

002.JPG

001.JPG

3 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Done the 2nd plaster coat.. gonna be a sod sanding as I couldn't get too smooth with pits & ridges.. but I can't hang about now.

On another note: 2nd pic.. Ive got alot of very hard to get off paint from this opposite wall. How best to get this off? this is the remenants after a huge graft scraping what I could off.. I just can't get all this off just scraping.

002.JPG

Looks pretty good from where I'm sitting. The lighter the paint colour the more imperfections you'll get away with of course. Fill and sand the paint as above. A good base coat will hide a lot. That Leyland Super Leytex paint is good for that.

If it's getting you down have a look at a photo from the start of the thread to see just how far you've come.

So, kitchen nearly done, what are we doing next? :)

Edited by Onoff

Well apart from the HUAGE job of doing basically same-as-I-done-here but with 2" Celotex, & 1st ripping out 3 pB walls in each upstairs beds1&2 (a job I simply -have- to do albeit a fknbigsod), & funny you should ask Onoff.. cos there's one glaring thing to do, & before the winter proper..

Above kitchen, is a loft joining onto bedroom2. Ah but no solid stone 2ft thick wall here: instead a big old window 'area'.. IE a hole nothing/ zilch. And in bed2, a layer of ply * covering me hole, tagged to the pB wall. Seriously: a bit of ply between bed2 & outside cold air! so I is gotta block it up- boomshanka! Thankfully due to * I can get at it from bed2, rather than a pig of a job doing it from loft side- a major help.

A piece of p*ss job I hope tho/ just an a'noon, I just need as much insulation in as I can, so will ask your good advice/ will get a pic up soon.

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Have you tried soaking the paint that won't come off?

A steam wallpaper stripper might be worth ago if you're fed up sanding...

Yup bought a steamer for this.. but even so its welded on, & if I whack steamer on for big time, I blow the plaster off. Its a huge b'stard pain this.

Steamer got me to this stage of wall.. a massive ammount of hard graft went in to get to this. More of the same is just out-the-question; that's how stuck on this paint is.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Don't remove it - fill any gouges, then maybe a light sand, then paint.

Maybe this is the way to go, thanks Mr. Punter. I do find the paint extremely thin, the stuff I can't scrape off/ what's left.. just thought even a thin layer left, on would be visible & let the overall finished look down significantly.

Ive used a slim blade long handled scraper, as fine a blade as poss.. but still it cant remove this. it just gouges into the plaster.

I need some sort of solution/ gubbins.. is there not some sort of paint stripper stuff, for plaster, not the nasty zoot-get-high-again whiffy stuff.

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I guess worth a try.. I just want to avoid a sticky white mess, if shifting paint from plaster tho. I really need a pro decorator to lend an opinion here.. be a shame to fk up the opposite wall to my 2 masterpieces!

Try a SMALL test area first & follow the instructions to the letter. Protect whatever it might drop on as well.

I wonder if a few seconds blast from a hot air gun would do it as in lift and curl the remaining paint?

Edited by Onoff

Im just reading up about 'paper lining' as apparantly is one pg1 idea for just such a paint-get-off ballache. but urgh.. paste n tables n gloopy sheets with jizz everywhere..

Hey don't I get a prize for page 50?? I don't see -anything- in my inbox, or mods asking for my address to send me things..

• Like 1

Electric sander.. christ the dust/ I don't think I can bear doing it like so, anyway I'll cross this bridge next week.. I need to ask a dedicated decorator, or do a new thread to get some more ideas 1st.

At the mo I'm just about ready to sand the plaster on the pB walls > base coat > then paint! will look proper tarty after that, & spur my ass to get on with other sod walls.

Turns out I did, in fact, use this same bartoline stuff Onoff actually linked to from homebase @ £8 (but mine £4.50 from Charlies/ great stuff too).. https://www.homebase.co.uk/bartoline-plaster-skim-2-5l_p427758

Im going to have to get the vacuum sander thing.. trying to find the link.. as I cannot stand dust/ makes me so flamin cross.

Christ thank god for that then!

Ok now this Mirka sander thingy, is designed for use with its 'shop-vac' type special vac.. which I assume has bag membranes fine enough to trap the v.fine dust. I tho only have a std house hoover, which farts out big dust clouds when its not happy, like for eg when I swept the chimney..

Is it a no/no to use theses mirka £30 sander jobs with other vacs, rather than its own job?

Edited by zoothorn

10 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Christ thank god for that then!

Ok now this Mirka sander thingy, is designed for use with its 'shop-vac' type special vac.. which I assume has bag membranes fine enough to trap the v.fine dust. I tho only have a std house hoover, which farts out big dust clouds when its not happy, like for eg when I swept the chimney..

Is it a no/no to use theses mirka £30 sander jobs with other vacs, rather than its own job?

I just use my Mirka with a generic vac, Earlex 1000 branded as Wickes.

1893643643_EarlexCombivac1000.jpeg.68a8e246fdf679f46ab3b0255c20277a.jpeg

I have a vax 25-040 Ive just remembered (!) like a henry sort of.. so could give this a go: but will the hose fit tho? how the heck am I meant to know this.. is there a universal type that henrys use or summink? I read these mirka kit things do fit henrys..

My hose for my Vax, is one of these fittings.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FITS-VAX-4-LUG-PIN-CONNECTOR-HOSE-PIPE-MODEL-25-040-220-240-020177/132672109967?hash=item1ee3dfbd8f:g:R1EAAOSw9DZZ5Muy:rk:3:pf:0

Surely I must have the mirka hoover end exactly as per mine tho.. it looks totally different (& odd.. fast 'n bulbous like).

Bought it.. I'll gaffer tape the bugger onto my hose if it doesn't behave! then maybe I can have the Vax out the window in case it dust-belches (free delivery @ toolstation that was the clincher/ great. impressive that).

I'm on a roll when this gets here.. & it'll surely help me attack this b'stard other wall's stuck-on paint too.

Nice one.. if my new mirkin gets to me fri, then I'm going at it hammer & tongs over wknd.

Can you remind me, not sure if I asked specifically b4, what am I priming the -bare- pB with again, once my plaster areas on it are all sanded flush?

Appreciated- zoot