Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

Alot of cupboard refettling this one. I wanted to shift them up 5", as I hate it when they're low/ as often I see this in kitchens, much better just hop on a stool to get to upper shelves IMO: makes better use of smallish space, & light too- the 2 hood lamps fall right across tops L to R. so I had to dismantle cupboard (as socket @ top of c'board now clashed) refaffed xyz/ jigsawed out recess.. now socket's in cab's upper shelf area. Neater.

These bulbs tho.. halogen 50w, bloody ferociously hot: I'm surprised no warning or cage around, a kid could easily burn fingers. Too much power. What are the options re bulbs? If I use as general kitchen lights, as looks great/ I tend to do, I must be pouring in ££ if they're so hot.

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

Yes they look like gu10 from pics on www. Aren't led types all that horrible blue/ cold light tho? these may be too bright & too hot but the colour temp is right for indoors, in my opinion being just 'normal/ warm'.

You can get warm white or cool white LED GU10s.

20 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Aha ok I didn't know this. So what would be the equivalent say to halogen 40w, in led terms.. or is it same-?

An LED will be about a 1/10 wattage wise. If you like the light the existing bulbs give then find the spec and look for the same lumens (lm). 

Ok will look into lumens.. last on list to do actually.

Now whats the best idea re. stages: new lino next > skirting can sit right down onto it.. or skirting next > then lino to butt up against (or should it slide under?) & can new lino be laid ontop of old? Im thinking would old stuff might be of benefit/ making 2x thick as it were.. plus leaving it means all the black gubbins not exposed underneath: I think a very hard graft job to scrape this off.

thanks zoot

(Assuming newhome's com is re. my oak cabinet doors).. will paint them all cream, these sides left as is alas cos placcy effect (plus 18x new 'rustic' black handles) but last on kitchen list, as non essential. which means done slooow like by mid next year prolly!

Crikey I feel sorry for Onoff's family.. that knock-thru looks a recent afterthought! once I'm done I'll look thru that thread.. but can't cope doing 2 whopper threads at a time my brain will overload.

Anyone done their own lino before?

Lino...been there, done that, though SWMBO usually does it. 

Plenty of vids on YouTube. Use cardboard for templates around tricky bits.

I have before, for small areas like a bathroom actually laid a full lining paper/pizza box/Cornflakes packet pattern in the room to be done all held together with duct tape. I've then rolled out the lino in a bigger room and laid the pattern out Sellotaped on. Make a few diagonal checks. Draw round with a Sharpie and cut with decent bfo upholstery scissors...but that's just me! :)

Professionals I think just push it against the wall with a metal straight edge and cut with a Stanley. They're incredibly quick too, like lightning fast.

If you do the skirting afterwards you have 1/2" of leeway to screw up and be able to hide it.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

I have before, for small areas like a bathroom actually laid a full lining paper/pizza box/Cornflakes packet pattern in the room to be done all held together with duct tape. I've then rolled out the lino in a bigger room and laid the pattern out Sellotaped on. Make a few diagonal checks. Draw round with a Sharpie and cut with decent bfo upholstery scissors...but that's just me! :)

I have a friend who did just that.  Unfortunately he then put the template on the vinyl back, not the top.  A beautifully cut piece of vinyl that fitted wonderfully, if you wanted to see the back not the pattern.  :)  :)   :)

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, PeterW said:

Looks great - when are you starting on your bathroom as @Onoff will have some catching up to do ...!

Thanks

16 hours ago, PeterW said:

Looks great - when are you starting on your bathroom as @Onoff will have some catching up to do ...!

Thanks Peter- what a huge difference.. the tops (best buy- worked out just fab, small bow again but kept in check I think), the tiles, cleanliness, more open feel/ more space.

Thank goodness bathroom I did last year.. a fairly good blitz job, with minor mistakes (wish Id known this site then..) but no pB, or bigass holes!

cheers & happy christmas to you guys. Zoot

Just arranged for my parents kitchen and bathroom to be done in lino. Cheapest of the cheap. No underlay, no surface prep against the shops advice but it'll (sadly) very likely outlast them. House built circa 1960 so those old square (bitumen bedded?) tiles like a chess board. 

SWMBO went over to let the bloke in. Reckons he was pretty much seconds rather than minutes fitting it. Said the left him in the kitchen and walked through to the lounge. No sooner had she sat down than the guy appeared and she thought he needed something from his van,  not that he was done! Tidy job too.

11 hours ago, Sue B said:

I have a friend who did just that.  Unfortunately he then put the template on the vinyl back, not the top.  A beautifully cut piece of vinyl that fitted wonderfully, if you wanted to see the back not the pattern.  :)  :)   :)

I'm with him! I spent more time doing -exactly- this hand-cutting 3 tiles into 'L' shapes, for the plug sockets. I made card templates, marked the back (for some reason) 1,2,3. Meticulous prep. so much care. Had a cuppa/ snooze. About 2 hours in cutting the 3rd, I thought a good idea just to check/ offered 1st up.. I mean as if I needed to after my huAge prep. Then my roof almost came off. I had to go outside to stomp & wail in misery- which set the dogs off 4 doors up. You're allowed to put TerryFkwit up here (so long as he's got a crimbo hat on!).

I'll consider trying the lino then if its a feasable diy job- I know the lino chap who might have some old cr*p I could do a trial run with.

• Haha 1

A lesson I've gradually learned: lay things out to be cut oriented towards where they'll eventually fit so you can visualize the move into the right place, a simple slide along or rotation upwards or whatever. That way errors like mirror images or measuring the wrong way will be more immediately obvious, ideally as you mark up rather than as you cut.

Actually there is one Q before I sign off: my old folks' recently had a new simple small washbasin replacement, but no pedestal. not one there before either. looks nasty all pipes showing etc. How can I fit one to be correct heightwise if basin was just plonked into same spot old one was, let alone the right curve to fit the underside-?