Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

What's the deal with the 'moisture resistant' chipboard.. in case of floor spills/ cleaning mops etc?

Damn I was thinking why not bog std bit of mdf, if my skirting is just that, but with a shaped profile top bit. Seems that's not up to par for the job.

I'm very limited to 'sheds' here. No b&q, or wickes. I just have Jewsons, TP, & Huw's builders merchants.

36 minutes ago, newhome said:

Wouldn’t that chip a bit when cut and thus look dog rough? 

Depends how / what you cut it on. Put cut edges facing in. Who's going to lie on the floor and look that close anyway!

32 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

What's the deal with the 'moisture resistant' chipboard.. in case of floor spills/ cleaning mops etc?

Damn I was thinking why not bog std bit of mdf, if my skirting is just that, but with a shaped profile top bit. Seems that's not up to par for the job.

I'm very limited to 'sheds' here. No b&q, or wickes. I just have Jewsons, TP, & Huw's builders merchants.

Could do but will need proper priming and painting imo. Bead of mastic between floor and board will help. Use softwood if you like. I was thinking quick & cheap!

No I'm all for the cheapest way here (yr never gonna look close at it) but thought that may be simple mdf, but once 'moisture resistance' is entered in the mix I m not sure why/ assume mdf isn't the right thing then/ don't know what's the right approach.

I don't suppose I can get 2.4m lengths posted, so have to rule out wickes & b&q suggestions I'm afraid- thanks for links tho: 'plinth' is a new word in my book as a result.

Can light things be added as an afterthought/ optional extra once plinth bits fitted?

34 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Who's going to lie on the floor and look that close anyway!

You would. There would be close up photos on here magnified to show the single rough edge so that you could berate yourself for it not being perfect - just sayin .... ;) 

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

No I'm all for the cheapest way here (yr never gonna look close at it) but thought that may be simple mdf, but once 'moisture resistance' is entered in the mix I m not sure why/ assume mdf isn't the right thing then/ don't know what's the right approach.

I don't suppose I can get 2.4m lengths posted, so have to rule out wickes & b&q suggestions I'm afraid- thanks for links tho: 'plinth' is a new word in my book as a result.

Can light things be added as an afterthought/ optional extra once plinth bits fitted?

Wickes and B&Q should deliver it or you could use MDF potentially and cut and paint it. Anything like that will be susceptible to moisture so you could put a strip along the bottom to at least protect the bottom of it. Something like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1pc-x-High-Quality-Stick-Kitchen-Plinth-Seal-Clear-2-5m-Length-Sealing-Strip/153081175291?epid=15021056698&hash=item23a4595cfb:g:vpYAAOSwc15bN35y:rk:16:pf:0

or 

https://www.trade-point.co.uk/departments/homelux-plinth-seal-w-18mm-l-1830mm/97784_TP.prd#

Or there might be a cheaper / better way. 

Plinth fitting (can't remember if your cabinets have legs though - if not the fittings will be different). 

You can add the lights afterwards as long as you don't mind taking the plinth off again once fitted to cut the holes for the lights etc. You'll need some way of powering them too. Plenty of videos on YouTube - search for plinth lights. 

I've collected various halogen & fluorescent under cupboard and plinth lights over the years off site etc. Took me so long to fit any of them they've been superceded by LED!  :)

Did buy some LAPP ones in clearance in S'fix a while back. Two sets of 10 in blue for the bathroom and a set of 10 in white. 

Blue ones are going in the bathroom and the white I've fitted in the kitchen. Paid between £4.99 & £14.99 a set. 

Look better in the flesh so to speak. These just needed a 22mm hole:

20181218_182923.thumb.jpg.0e5f11081b252f181474176ebdf762df.jpg

20181218_183000.thumb.jpg.2084b07bc5bf4cb8a39c22267923f5c0.jpg

Basically you get a set like this random image:

ae235.jpeg.33ebb6e2a9c0f083e35e3b8e6be593ab.jpeg

The ones in the pic are 45mm but you can get smaller diameters. They need to plug in somewhere of course so think how convenient it'll be to switch them. 

Alternatives are LED strips of course but I was going cheap as!

Edited by Onoff

Looks like the millenium falcon Onoff.. & your shower with Leia in what with her tiled back etc/ I get the picture @ Onoff acres! I'll consider it.. I was thinking more a halogen/ warm strip light . will look into it. might be a bit incongrous to my 'oldie/ beams etc' adjacent main room.. mmm.

Ok understood- good link there newhome, Id never had found this as 'kitchen plinth'.. I didn't even know were the relevant words.

22 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Looks like the millenium falcon Onoff.. & your shower with Leia in what with her tiled back etc/ I get the picture @ Onoff acres! I'll consider it.. I was thinking more a halogen/ warm strip light . will look into it. might be a bit incongrous to my 'oldie/ beams etc' adjacent main room.. mmm.

Ok understood- good link there newhome, Id never had found this as 'kitchen plinth'.. I didn't even know were the relevant words.

Star Wars is coming! Not bad for 50p each!

20180510_211725

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, newhome said:

The OH put one of those constantly changing colour bulbs in the extension because he knew it would annoy me lol. It does, and every time I look at it, it reminds me of him ;)

method in his madness???:ph34r:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, zoothorn said:

On more option is that B&Qs often have a free cutting service for sheet materials, so if you can measure up they will slice your sheet of whatever into the right size pieces for you.

Then it will also go in your car.

F

My plinth clips are a bit different and don't clip around a tubular leg. Instead they're a piece of sprung steel, very thin that gets hammered into the top of the board and grips the underside of the base unit. Struggling to find an image.

Edit: Found them, called Turbo-clips. I only have the bigger clips shown, not sure what the smaller one is for:

107949.jpg.e54555362f2d5ccc71be3a785fd81606.jpg

Edited by Onoff

I cant understand how these work tho- I dont have 'legs' or anything, just the sides of cabinets either butted up next to another, or single thickness.

If the idea if going with mdf is to use the adhesive base seal strips it sits on, presumably to stop moisture ingress, then don't I have to do the same with my mdf skirting then?? both mdf fixed on their fronts to X behind, both contact floor lino.

Looking at both plinth & skirting jobs, it seems the right way might be to get the lino down next/ beforehand- as looking at this old lino, it seems to have been put down before plinths then put on. Is that the right idea?

1 hour ago, zoothorn said:

I cant understand how these work tho- I dont have 'legs' or anything, just the sides of cabinets either butted up next to another, or single thickness.

If the idea if going with mdf is to use the adhesive base seal strips it sits on, presumably to stop moisture ingress, then don't I have to do the same with my mdf skirting then?? both mdf fixed on their fronts to X behind, both contact floor lino.

Looking at both plinth & skirting jobs, it seems the right way might be to get the lino down next/ beforehand- as looking at this old lino, it seems to have been put down before plinths then put on. Is that the right idea?

Show us a pic of the base / floor.

20 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Mikey's old 2nd residences..

008.JPG

007.JPG

I MAY have some spare Turbo Clips. Failing that you might want to consider magnetic fixings. I might well have some of those also that I won't use and you're more than welcome to.

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Hey thank you Onoff, if magnetic I could use the spaces for storage too.

So is it a Q of getting lino done next, before skirting even?

Need to be bloody sure those mice can't get back in!

Think I'd do the lino first. Doing it yourself?

No- I don't think so Id make a dog's dinner of it. Why have you done before? must say tho the skirting & plinths make lino here a doddle, & I do have the old bit to trace the tricky door in/out areas.. just there's horrible black sticky tarry stuff under which I know the pro chap noticed & murmered about.