Help with kitchen renovation/ 1st house.

10 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Do you mean grab adhesive? pink grip stuff for eg. Got two tubes so could try that. Ive got it fixed just about acceptably, with its 2 screws in backbox top corners.. so its more Im concerned with plugging the cavity re. cold than something better for it to fix to. So defo not foam?

Yes, grab adhesive, many names/makes. Even saw one in the Pound shop yesterday. 

No Nails

Pink Grip

Grip Fill

I Can't Believe It's Not Nails

No More Nails

Sticks Like Sh!t

Sikaflex EBT

CT1

Etc, etc

Your cables I'm guessing are two 6mm2 twin and earth. One comes from the consumer unit (40/45A breaker) and the other goes to the cooker.

Do they come into the rear of the back box or top and bottom?

I've foamed a loose back box in temporarily before (now taken out):

SAM_2738.jpg.f262757e02af2a219c5dbb5da66c1598.jpg

This same wall had hollow blocks in. So hollow that the permanent fix to fit the 47mm back box was to first fit curly wurlies meant for pb then push the whole lot into mortar pumped in with a mortar gun.

SAM_1510.jpg.a790a54eaa50782b42703d61a66e5bc3.jpg

Edited by Onoff

Aha thanks for those pics- understood/ looks like a royal sod of a job with zilch to show for your efforts once all done!

Yup so 2x twin 6mm2 + earth. Comes in thru back hole > out via btm hole. Ok so I saw where btm OUT exits > to cooker, & nothing there cavity-wise for concern. So its just out/ behind the back plate where the cavity is.

I see in your 2nd pic your foam isn't doing any cavity-fill duties tho. This is my primary job to fill. If I can fill -and- as a bonus have s'thing solid to make a new fix for my backbox to attatch behind onto.. great, but its not essential/ I can get by as it is, just.

So I just need to go back to your filling with NO Nails suggestion, squirting it in behind backbox thru convenient screw hole. Do you mean grab-adhesive? And is this job definitely not better served with foam (or is the direct contact of foam with the 3-core cable coming in rule out this idea)-?

Stuffed it full of 2 grab adhesives & it seems to have filled it thank god.. fingers x'd it won't bulge the box out. good suggestion (sorry dinnae know what 'no nails' actually is- assumed a grab adhesive)

Finally got the last twunty thin tile bit cut too- 15 tries later..

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

(sorry dinnae know what 'no nails' actually is- assumed a grab adhesive)

Aye, a grab adhesive. Means you can fix something on without using nails rather than biting yours like you crapped yer pants ? 

8 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Dont worry it'll be shattered by other means before then- Im so used to whacking my big f-off metal curry spoon on the edge of my pan or wok with my other crap 'leccy hob, that sooner or later Im going to forget/ go at it hammer & tongs as usual, & inadvertantly smash the fkr up.

laughed at that because after having a gas hob forever I now have a glass induction and boy does it kook delicate 

Your electric cooks more delicately than your old gas hob? Ive never found this with any 'leccy hob.. the best thing I found, apart from the instant nature & probably £less of a gas hob.. is you can turn down the flame to just a smidge, ideal say for rice to slowly steam, or slow pan anything- you just cant do that with any leccy hob (anyone's?) their minimums -all- seem to be way higher (just my minimum seems to be alot more than the usual). Exactly this smidge is what I really miss.

5 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Your electric cooks more delicately than your old gas hob? Ive never found this with any 'leccy hob.. the best thing I found, apart from the instant nature & probably £less of a gas hob.. is you can turn down the flame to just a smidge, ideal say for rice to slowly steam, or slow pan anything- you just cant do that with any leccy hob (anyone's?) their minimums -all- seem to be way higher (just my minimum seems to be alot more than the usual). Exactly this smidge is what I really miss.

You can with induction. On ours we can set it to "pulse", even has a pause button. Auto shuts off in the event of a pan boiling over etc.

Mate's missus just gone from gas to induction and loves it. 

Ah I don't know about these new fangled ones. If I knew the cutout hole I made was a universal figure (488x558mm if I recall my 'odd' figures my hob spiel said) then Id be buying an induction in the new year sales maybe.

Is this the main benefit of inductions? 'induction' and 'ceramic' words mean zilch Id suggest to mum's & most all folks.. certainly to me.

26 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ah I don't know about these new fangled ones. If I knew the cutout hole I made was a universal figure (488x558mm if I recall my 'odd' figures my hob spiel said) then Id be buying an induction in the new year sales maybe.

Is this the main benefit of inductions? 'induction' and 'ceramic' words mean zilch Id suggest to mum's & most all folks.. certainly to me.

I've heard it said induction has the control ability of gas.

Induction hobs work by using electromagnetism. They are efficient and you can get a pan to full heat much more quickly than ceramic, and they tend to be much more controllable. They tend to be much more like gas than electric and in fact I prefer them to gas. The pan heats, not the hob so although the hob will be warm after you’ve used it, it’s nothing like the heat generated by a ceramic hob. You can only use certain pans on them though due to the nature of how they work. Essentially if a magnet will stick to the pan it should work with an induction hob. If it’s not the right sort of pan nowt will happen. 

You can touch our glass top pretty much immediately after removing a pan and won't suffer a serious burn. Don't get me wrong it's not pleasant but nothing like touching a ceramic or God forbid, old school open ring!

Induction hobs look as if they have come down in price quite a bit now. They seem to start at around £200. You can also buy standalone single zones like the one in the link. I don’t know what that one is like, it was just the cheapest. Might be an option if you use low heat / steam a lot. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01DAHBRF6/ref=asc_df_B01DAHBRF657532273/?tag=googshopuk-21&creative=22122&creativeASIN=B01DAHBRF6&linkCode=df0&hvadid=231909287202&hvpos=1o6&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12246219837045509930&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046877&hvtargid=pla-378212831444

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

That's not what I meant in this post.  I meant that the fact that it was glass made it LOOK very delicate and easy to smash.

However it really is very very controllable down to the lowest temperature.  I can really just easily simmer on it or even just keep food warm.  It's even better than my gas which, unless I used the smallest burner would boil rather than simmer stuff like soup.

I got mine from Mark's Electrical and have found them a great company to deal with - They use their own delivery vans and people so your goods are treated with respect in transit.  It cost £190, the same one is now £250 but they start at £180.  

It is taking a bit of getting used to.  I had to buy new pans and am very disappointed that my two big casserole pans aren't magnetic and won't work, nor my wok so more new things to buy lol.  

Got my induction hob from Comet when they closed down. £169.95 down from £399.00.

That well known make Electra Elecheib. Designed in Israel made in Turkey! :)Schott Ceran glass etc.

Hasn't missed a beat to be fair. Let's hope it gets us through Christmas dinner No7. Had it a good while now.

Edited by Onoff

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

What the dickens is 'caulk' for? I bought some but I got no idea why or what it is!

It’s for decorating. Fills holes / gaps that you want to paint over instead of using silicone. 

31 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Like top of skirting gaps? trying to think of obvious egs..

Exactly that! Smooth caulk level with top of skirting and paint to match skirting.

Or maybe where door architrave has a gap. 

Ok thanks. I need tips on what strip to put along the recessed base area of the cabinets- just under the cupboard doors, below worktops, I got gaps. Now, this was covered with chipboard strips placcy wood veneer/ binned.. so what's the best idea to replace them with?

Alas I can't afford to spend £200 on a new hob.. whole job's cost me £500+ as it is, I know peanuts relatyively speaking, but £700 once lino down & last bits done is alot for me: £900 with new hob/ no way cannae do.

1 minute ago, newhome said:

You could just buy new cheap plinths (check sizes but might be pretty universal) 

https://www.diy.com/departments/kitchen/kitchen-cabinets/trims-plinths-and-panels/plinth/_/N-rnkZ1z0n95s

Joking aside the green chipboard with a coat of clear varnish might fit in with is green painted walls...

I like the idea of led lights under the lip! very snazzy, but led: aren't these 'cold' colour temperature lights? my Ma's just had some basic round dome kitchen/ hall light things, & they're this godawful blue cold light. Oncoming car headlights a good analogy- popular led ones seem to be this cold annoyoing blue.